Root Aphid Annhiliation (pics)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mrstylez

Mrstylez

I need a little help. I just found out I have root aphids. I run a rdwc system with a 10 gallon res. I already got some OG Biowar Foliar on the way. My question is can someone tell me at what strength I should run this to kill root aphids. I have read around and from what I saw it is one cup for 5 gallons of water, but it is my understanding that this is for prevention and I am dealing with infestation. Thank you!

thchunter

thchunter

I need a little help. I just found out I have root aphids. I run a rdwc system with a 10 gallon res. I already got some OG Biowar Foliar on the way. My question is can someone tell me at what strength I should run this to kill root aphids. I have read around and from what I saw it is one cup for 5 gallons of water, but it is my understanding that this is for prevention and I am dealing with infestation. Thank you!
full strength tea for a infestation

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

a cup per 5 gallons will work great I usually use a 1/4 cup per gallon as a drench to treat...it's expensive that way but after a heavy treatment you'll see the results as they all turn into white puffballs...the good thing about the fungus is that as it eats the aphids from the inside, once it breaks through their bodies it makes spores and kills more aphids. Even so, it's still a good idea to re-apply again 4 days later and maintain that cycle at strength until you don't see them anymore, then apply weekly as a preventative. That single imid dose in veg will also do wonders as a preventative.

Mrstylez

Mrstylez

a cup per 5 gallons will work great I usually use a 1/4 cup per gallon as a drench to treat...it's expensive that way but after a heavy treatment you'll see the results as they all turn into white puffballs...the good thing about the fungus is that as it eats the aphids from the inside, once it breaks through their bodies it makes spores and kills more aphids. Even so, it's still a good idea to re-apply again 4 days later and maintain that cycle at strength until you don't see them anymore, then apply weekly as a preventative. That single imid dose in veg will also do wonders as a preventative.
Nice man thanks for your help. When I first got it I made three liters just like it says on the bag without making a tea and I hit em with it then dumped a bunch in my res. They're loving it

20151011 224229
Mr.X

Mr.X

Bumping this thread again, I've had a lot of people asking me about root aphids and would love for people to use this as a reference. I still use og biowar, currently applying with each transplant (both in tea and mixed into media) and as a soak, 1/8 cup per gallon of water along with 1/4 cup diatomaceous earth. I rarely see root aphids so when I water it in it's used as a treatment/prevention in the rare chance I see a flier. These guys get out of hand fast, and most people dealing with them are past the point of infestation and have developed difficult to eliminate colonies. I would still recommend og biowar foliar pack as the go-to for root aphids, I know people who have eliminated infestations completely by applying og biowar and using a single dose of imidacloprid in veg. This stuff changed the game.
Where can i get that imidacloprid ? Does it go by a particular name or is it the sa biowar ?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

imidacloprid is a super common chemical (unfortunately), pretty sure you can pick some up as bayer tree&shrub, or if you can find mallet or merit. Imid is horribly toxic to bees so don't use it or dispose of it outdoors. It's out of plant tissue relatively fast, so it's safe to use up to about the second week of flower. Not sure of application rates, sorry

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mm... @We Solidarity IIRC there's a PHI of 30-60 days for imidacloprid, including for the 1.47% imid found in Bayer. I think the PHI is dependent on method of application as well as plant type used on. When I used it (once) on my cannabis I started a 60 day clock, Merit 75 was what I used. I think PHI may even be specific to the product itself.

Mrstylez

Mrstylez

Where can i get that imidacloprid ? Does it go by a particular name or is it the sa biowar ?

If you don't want to go nuclear I sprayed the shit out of mines with neem oil, roots and all, then washed them off with a water hose. Followed up with the Biowar 4 days later when it arrived and it appears to have killed the little bastardos

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

IMG 20151013 122750
is this a root aphid? that's a grain of salt for comparison. i was under the impression they were bigger

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was never able to make an actual visual ID on mine, I didn't have Rx glasses at that time and was just generally having a really hard time seeing anything. *My* own impression is that they're small as fuck-all, but not as small as russets or broads. :/

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Mm... @We Solidarity IIRC there's a PHI of 30-60 days for imidacloprid, including for the 1.47% imid found in Bayer. I think the PHI is dependent on method of application as well as plant type used on. When I used it (once) on my cannabis I started a 60 day clock, Merit 75 was what I used. I think PHI may even be specific to the product itself.

You're definitely right, I'm not sure about foliar spraying but I know two separate sources who have tested for imid using as a drench up to week 6 of flower, they both said there was residual in every test but levels weren't alarming at harvest unless they'd been treated weekly up to week 4 of flower.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

honestly i hope it is a aphid, otherwise I'm lost on it. started getting done least edges turning up and everything is in check. then started scoping roots, and found a few of these fucks. been running og biowar foliar and drenching net pots for a week now. and today all i could find was this guy and one other after looking for some time. got my fingers crossed

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

ya same here, just seems really small. other pics I've seen make them appear bigger then this. can barely see it without a scope

Mrstylez

Mrstylez

You should be good dude. The ones on mines were tiny, the only reason I spotted them was because they were moving

Last edited:
thchunter

thchunter

mine you could just see them when they moved so a lot smaller than a piece of rice

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Best indicator is the serrations on the fans.

img_0292-jpg.291346

That says Yikes! "there's something in my pants!"

@Wesolidarity: Big mahalo! I just love that quote. :)

I endorse the hell out of biowar, it saved my medical crop.

Aloha,
Weeze

Top Bottom