Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

are you guys kidding lol... there's like 5 in my house right now im sure. maybe in the west sac spiders are dangerous but in the east they're harmless and they don't bite lol... besides it's in your grow area they inhabit the plants they are not gonna come after humans.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

That's what you want to be able to happen but the fact is that the specific bugs you want to be able to have the spider eradicating. Well It is your plants and I don't know how much you love your girls but I get at them everyday and I move them and if they are on the one moved and it falls upon your arm or something it does and will bite they are all to dosilent when uthreatened but shake them up a bit and they are no different from any other poisonous Arachnophobia creating spider/arachnid

Ps yeah in the west coast everything bites man even the ladybugs bite hard too!!!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
That's what you want to be able to happen but the fact is that the specific bugs you want to be able to have the spider eradicating. Well It is your plants and I don't know how much you love your girls but I get at them everyday and I move them and if they are on the one moved and it falls upon your arm or something it does and will bite they are all to dosilent when uthreatened but shake them up a bit and they are no different from any other poisonous Arachnophobia creating spider/arachnid

Ps yeah in the west coast everything bites man even the ladybugs bite hard too!!!
kilo what's up brotha!

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Living in darkness of networking and getting back to the right personafor. What's up with you main ain't seen ya around the owls lately, I would bet it would be cause of my absence for the time I was just plain dark and out of contact period but the real world is out there and I gotta go be a part of it or fall asleep in my time of opportunity this which we are living in hit me up on pm. Bro I have to say it is a good day to be a stoner of a green thumb and I am not going to let it slip by lol....

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Springtails making a island in a water tub next to some pots
IMG 20151224 190757

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why do the springtails have to be killed? Because they're there?
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you find a sac spider (Cheiracanthum inclusum) in your house or a couple bring them to your grow area and let them live. They kill aphids and fungus gnats other unwanted's as well. And they won't web on the flowers.

View attachment 561122
Nice! What about daddy longlegs? I've got those up the wazoo. I never knew until I gandered 'em a while that they hunt and eat prey in a group.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Because they're there?
IV had some crazy bad spring tail outbreak and ruined my life for about two months it was awesome and awful they were in everything they were brave enough to enter the crevas which shall not be entered to be a literal pain in the ass felling like every inch of your home and body are covered in fleas made of pop rocks.

Nice! What about daddy longlegs? they hunt and eat prey in a group.
I can also say yes to this one but it all depends on the age and species of the spider when I first moved to Oregon I saw one of the"cave spiders" as we call them here but also known as daddy long legs and they looked a little funny to me i was from the desert and Bayue areas the daddy longs thin these places nearly have no body to speak of the ones in Oregon have pencil eraser size disks for body'sI am sure they don't bite so I pick it up and watch it examine the strange anomaly in my opinion and then like an ant PINCH.... OUCH what the fuuuuuuuuuudge so yes even some daddy long legs bite.......

Groupon shopping for the long legs huh never knew that I know they huddle to stay warm often sleeping in piles of thousands but never heard of the hunting part good info to know for me tho I will be taking a note down here (*{sea maid service} daddy long l....e..h...........g.........zzzzzzzzzzz°•○●□■■□●○•° I keed I keep note not in mean context of earlier this is not what it we do here making the funny beeink uff serious talkink now shhhh it time for making rabbits hunted seasonink i tink. ...

did enjoy learning this thank you for sharing sea i really like the way you can get the other side of things.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Only in soil do you kill them but commonly used to much of whatever in this case and if Givin the proper fix it perhaps would not so much kill the plant in soil, but I would say possibly stunt you for a week. So it is debatable yes however even then it is still not impossible to eradicate them without having problems of a sudden affliction!!!!? It's simple in hydro just wait for the next rez swap, drain everything bleach out rinse and their gone!!! Now when in soil you have a lot of options the very last of which is my chosen method.
so the key to eliminating springtails is finding their nesting site. Once you kno w where they are coming from, you will be able to address the source of the infestation more effectively.

The Nature of Springtail Infestations

Springtails become a nuisance in and around the home in the spring and summer months, appearing in shockingly large numbers in and around puddles, patios, garages, pools, and indoors in basements, sinks, and bathtubs. It may be tempting to spray a large pile of springtails on the patio or in the sink, therefore eliminating that one group and thinking this will solve the problem. Not so. You may successfully eliminate a pile of springtails in an area, only to find another pile has formed in the very same place several days later. This is because the source of the springtails-their nesting spot-is actually hidden in a less conspicuous place. Large numbers of springtails will continue migrating from the nesting site to these smaller habitats of moisture. Springtail infestations must be attacked at the source, or you will continue to see Springtails piling up in the same places over and over.

Step 1) Determine Where Springtails Are Nesting

There are two basic keys to locating Springtail nesting sites. First, the nesting site will be somewhere damp and dark. Second, the nesting site is likely very close to the place of migration (or, where you find them piling up) since Springtails don't move very qucikly and prefer not to travel far before settling in the first suitable habitat.

Some possible nesting sites may include:

Under mulch and moist soilUnder patio slabsAround pool decksUnder logs, pinestraw, and wood chipsUnder wood decks builtIndoors in bath traps, under kitchen or bathroom sinks, and under linoleumAround jacuzzis or hot tubsIn damp crawl spaces and wall voidsUnder the sheathing, insulation, or sheet rock in the siding of your home if these places are prone to moisture.

Step 2) Treat Various Springtail Nesting or Migration Sites

Once you have identified a potential nesting site, two or three applications of the following treatments, coupled with moisture reduction (fixing leaks or installing ventilation) will usually be all that is needed to eliminate Springtail infestations.

Under Cabinets, Inside Crawl Spaces & Wall Voids

If you suspect that Springtails are nesting in a crawl space or wall void, first try to deteremine why this area is moist or wet. The problem of excess moisture might be solved by installing more ventilation. If a wall void is damp due to leaks around windows, light fixtures, or door frames, these areas can be sealed to prevent the accumulation of water.For long term control, treat these areas with waterproof Delta Dust Delta Dust can be applied with a hand duster which allows you to "blow" the dust up to 6 feet deep inside walls and under cabinets.If there are not already holes or cracks through which to apply the dust, you will need to drill ¼" holes every 2 feet. You can then pump the dust through the holes at a rate of 1 lb of Delta Dust per 500 sq/ft of wall space. This treatment lasts up to 8 months.

Under Sinks

Inspect this area for leaks. By eliminating moisture under sinks you will drive Springtails from this area and reduce the number of suitable habitats available where Springtails can survive.

Under Mulch, Pinestraw, Logs, or Wood Chips

This area should be treated by first applyingDemand G with a hand spreader according to the product label. Bifen Granules are weather resistant and easily penetrate mulch and other damp materials. Bifen works through a slow-release process, providing continuous control over a period of 4 to 8 weeks.For a faster contact kill to take care of surface populations and prevent migration while the Bifen is working, apply Tempo Ultra WP orTempo Ultra SC with a hose end sprayer over the top of Bifen.

Concrete Slabs (in Patios, Walkways, Under Bathtubs, and Ground Pools)

Springtails nesting in concrete slabs require more than simply spraying around the concrete. Slab infestations should be treated like a termite job. In fact, areas already treated for termites rarely if ever become infested by Springtails.Begin by drilling ½

The key to eliminating springtails is finding their nesting site. Once you know where they are coming from, you will be able to address the source of the infestation more effectively.

The Nature of Springtail Infestations

Springtails become a nuisance in and around the home in the spring and summer months, appearing in shockingly large numbers in and around puddles, patios, garages, pools, and indoors in basements, sinks, and bathtubs. It may be tempting to spray a large pile of springtails on the patio or in the sink, therefore eliminating that one group and thinking this will solve the problem. Not so. You may successfully eliminate a pile of springtails in an area, only to find another pile has formed in the very same place several days later. This is because the source of the springtails-their nesting spot-is actually hidden in a less conspicuous place. Large numbers of springtails will continue migrating from the nesting site to these smaller habitats of moisture. Springtail infestations must be attacked at the source, or you will continue to see Springtails piling up in the same places over and over.

Step 1) Determine Where Springtails Are Nesting

There are two basic keys to locating Springtail nesting sites. First, the nesting site will be somewhere damp and dark. Second, the nesting site is likely very close to the place of migration (or, where you find them piling up) since Springtails don't move very qucikly and prefer not to travel far before settling in the first suitable habitat.

Some possible nesting sites may include:

Under mulch and moist soilUnder patio slabsAround pool decksUnder logs, pinestraw, and wood chipsUnder wood decks builtIndoors in bath traps, under kitchen or bathroom sinks, and under linoleumAround jacuzzis or hot tubsIn damp crawl spaces and wall voidsUnder the sheathing, insulation, or sheet rock in the siding of your home if these places are prone to moisture.

Step 2) Treat Various Springtail Nesting or Migration Sites

Once you have identified a potential nesting site, two or three applications of the following treatments, coupled with moisture reduction (fixing leaks or installing ventilation) will usually be all that is needed to eliminate Springtail infestations.

Under Cabinets, Inside Crawl Spaces & Wall Voids

If you suspect that Springtails are nesting in a crawl space or wall void, first try to deteremine why this area is moist or wet. The problem of excess moisture might be solved by installing more ventilation. If a wall void is damp due to leaks around windows, light fixtures, or door frames, these areas can be sealed to prevent the accumulation of water.For long term control, treat these areas with waterproof Delta Dust Delta Dust can be applied with a hand duster which allows you to "blow" the dust up to 6 feet deep inside walls and under cabinets.If there are not already holes or cracks through which to apply the dust, you will need to drill ¼" holes every 2 feet. You can then pump the dust through the holes at a rate of 1 lb of Delta Dust per 500 sq/ft of wall space. This treatment lasts up to 8 months.

Under Sinks

Inspect this area for leaks. By eliminating moisture under sinks you will drive Springtails from this area and reduce the number of suitable habitats available where Springtails can survive.

Under Mulch, Pinestraw, Logs, or Wood Chips

This area should be treated by first applyingDemand G with a hand spreader according to the product label. Bifen Granules are weather resistant and easily penetrate mulch and other damp materials. Bifen works through a slow-release process, providing continuous control over a period of 4 to 8 weeks.For a faster contact kill to take care of surface populations and prevent migration while the Bifen is working, apply Tempo Ultra WP orTempo Ultra SC with a hose end sprayer over the top of Bifen.

Concrete Slabs (in Patios, Walkways, Under Bathtubs, and Ground Pools)

Springtails nesting in concrete slabs require more than simply spraying around the concrete. Slab infestations should be treated like a termite job. In fact, areas already treated for termites rarely if ever become infested by Springtails.Begin by drilling ½ inch holes every 1 to 2 feet in the slab. Next, using a gallon sprayer, pumpTempo Ultra WP or Tempo Ultra SC at the rate of ½ gallon per hole by removing the adjustable nozzle on the sprayer and pumping directly into each hole.After treating the slab, finish with spraying the surface of the foundation, walkway, or other surface areas where Springtails are active. This can also be done with Tempo Ultra WP orTempo Ultra SC using the gallon sprayer- See more at: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/how-to-get-rid-of-springtails-a-274.html#sthash.xXnAJyfL.dpuf

Now me personally I just taking use diatomaceous earth spread it all around about a quarter of an inch thick may be thicker then all around the property in anywhere that has springtails and it on it around it I go and do some more sprinkling and put diatomaceous earth all over those areas this has never failed me keep away any type of flea fly or Tick

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

No problem mate been in my garden before also no cure for them it's like cancer and body lice put together for the poor girls and we can do practically nothing pop each affected leaf remove leaf from room ASAP and hope you don't spread out over the rest of your garden if you get infested with them u must kill everything eeeeeeevvveery thing and shut down for two weeks spraying bleach daily

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

No problem mate been in my garden before also no cure for them it's like cancer and body lice put together for the poor girls and we can do practically nothing pop each affected leaf remove leaf from room ASAP and hope you don't spread out over the rest of your garden if you get infested with them u must kill everything eeeeeeevvveery thing and shut down for two weeks spraying bleach daily
Two spray bottles

1st bottle: 50% white vinegar 50% water

2nd bottle: 25% hydrogen peroxide 75% distilled water

Directions: Spray one bottle in a mist onto small area needing to be sterilized and then spray the other directly on top of the other, wipe with clean dry cloth. Repeat this in small areas working your way around the area needing cleaned.

It doen't matter which one you spray first, what you are doing is mixing the vinegar and peroxide in small batches. Vinegar is an acid and peroxide is a base. Peroxide kills all living organisms and vinegar supercharges and speeds up the process. If you do this correctly it will kill everything, it is best to do it twice to make sure you didn't miss anything. Granted you will still have to scrap your crop but no eggs or anything will be alive after you do this, much easier than scrubbing with stinkin bleach for days.

CAUTION: THIS STUFF KILLS EVERYTHING! Wear gloves and do not breathe both of the mists. I made the mistake of not wearing gloves once and it killed all of the top layer of skin and the hair on my forearms and hands. This stuff is no joke be careful if you use it, an old mushroom farmer told me about it, thanks Rodger Rabbit.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Good info bad in practice in my opinion since you cant spray your pla t with it nor can you get it anywhere near your body but to each their own who am I to say what is what on the matter of practical use in the garden just got a good eye for bugs cuz I dun had em all

Top Bottom