Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

I just picked up a tantalizing hint for dealing with fungus gnats.
Ammonia.
Soil drench is what I'm thinking, but details were lacking.
I intend to do a test to see if it kills a plant.
Would love to hear from farmers who care to advise on specifics of use.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Thanks for the help everyone. After posting this last night I got to googling and narrowed the identification down to an insect in the Sciaridae family (dark-winged fungus gnats).

Turns out there's more than one species of FG, in retrospect this is pretty obvious.I feel like a dope, but again, I appreciate the help.

Bleaching drains is a great idea, might as well bleach my runoff gutter as well, and integrate this practice into my weekly/bi-weekly cleaning regiment.

Glad I'm not seeing whiteflies, I don't believe they're too common in my parts, but I'll keep an eye out for them, apparently broad mites can catch a ride on their legs...

RIVIR

RIVIR

Definitely fungus gnats. Grab yourself something with Bti in it - Gnatrol, Gnatoff, OG Biowar, etc. Apply at least twice, spaced five days apart. Gnats are easy to eliminate, but if you want a long term solution you probably need to change your environmental conditions. Wet, over-fertilized, peat or coco-based mixes are perfect for them.
I've been using pro mix Coco based soil that tells me a lot about fungus gnats I've been using gnatrol I used it less than a week ago it sounds like I should maybe use it again what do you think

Toaster79

Toaster79

So I've got a chance to take a few shots of spider mites

20160609 190030

20160609 185855

20160609 185628

20160609 185541

20160609 185336

And some unhatched eggs

20160609 183243

20160609 182252

20160609 181926

eyeball

eyeball

Help identifying.
Very small maybe less than .25 mm white milky looking root insect.. it's not a larva. It crawls like an aphid. It's body is of a milky substance with a little pink, not at all see through. Leaves behind a white substance on roots.. also turns roots slimy brown.. very hard to spot, I use the little silver magnifier with leds.. they blend (camouflage) in so well, I just have to stare at one root and wait to see if anything is moving..
Thanks for any body's help..

eyeball

eyeball

Help identifying.
Very small maybe less than .25 mm white milky looking root insect.. it's not a larva. It crawls like an aphid. It's body is of a milky substance with a little pink, not at all see through. Leaves behind a white substance on roots.. also turns roots slimy brown.. very hard to spot, I use the little silver magnifier with leds.. they blend (camouflage) in so well, I just have to stare at one root and wait to see if anything is moving..
20160616 124207

20160616 124207 1
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Help identifying.
I do believe you've just described the aphid form of root aphids. There's also a flyer form. Do you have what appear to be fungus gnats flying around? If so, I'd be willing to bet you're dealing with RAs.

And, I'm sorry.

The Humanure

The Humanure

any one know what this black fly is? I know not a gnat because I have those also!
this guy was in the THOUSANDS after a heavy watering and I cut their grass home down and they vanished

However, what is it!!!

Cap
T

Transfixed

Hey guys! I found this gross looking little guy on a leaf the other day. Hoping someone might recognize it? Wasn't moving, just sitting there. About 1/8" long. Thanks!

PROBS   strange bug
T

Transfixed

Hey guys! I found this gross looking little guy on a leaf the other day. Hoping someone might recognize it? Wasn't moving, just sitting there. About 1/8" long. Thanks!

After tons of searching, I discovered the answer - they appear to be known as simply "scale insects", and they are disgusting. Thankfully, I don't have an infestation, just saw one of them on a leaf.
Here's some more info on them.
https://www.marijuanatimes.org/on-a-scale-of-one-to-one-hundred-dea-agents/

Top Bottom