Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Now this is disgusting!

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

After tons of searching, I discovered the answer - they appear to be known as simply "scale insects", and they are disgusting. Thankfully, I don't have an infestation, just saw one of them on a leaf.
Here's some more info on them.
https://www.marijuanatimes.org/on-a-scale-of-one-to-one-hundred-dea-agents/

careful, scales are a very, very hard insect to kill. they are very persistent pests in a lot of ornamental plants and shrubs - I know sago palms aren't used in landscape anymore exclusively because they are so susceptible to scale infestations.

Natural

Natural

any one know what this black fly is? I know not a gnat because I have those also!
this guy was in the THOUSANDS after a heavy watering and I cut their grass home down and they vanished

However, what is it!!!

@The Humanure So I found a few of these in my sticky traps indoors..had to re-visit this thread :)
These guys are much bigger than fungus gnats and don't have the mosquito body either. Had to do a very close inspection..as I'm always on my toes looking for RA's. Thanks for posting such a clear pix, not always an easy task.
I'm pretty convinced this is a Phorid..similar to FG's and fruit flies in species aka a sewer fly. Last ditch efforts around here for bugs to survive the coming frost. Just thankful they're not Winged RA.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
@The Humanure So I found a few of these in my sticky traps indoors..had to re-visit this thread :)
These guys are much bigger than fungus gnats and don't have the mosquito body either. Had to do a very close inspection..as I'm always on my toes looking for RA's. Thanks for posting such a clear pix, not always an easy task.
I'm pretty convinced this is a Phorid..similar to FG's and fruit flies in species aka a sewer fly. Last ditch efforts around here for bugs to survive the coming frost. Just thankful they're not Winged RA.
Haha I've had those the last two summers and they really breed fast. I two thought holy shit I'm infested with root aphids. Luckily not. One dose of promis insecticide totally whiped them out and they seem to only come back in the summer.

Natural

Natural

Haha I've had those the last two summers and they really breed fast. I two thought holy shit I'm infested with root aphids. Luckily not. One dose of promis insecticide totally whiped them out and they seem to only come back in the summer.
LOL..I was like oh shit these aren't fungus gnats..oh man

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

I lost 2 plants that just died and 2 others that were badly damaged by Root aphids. outdoors. Here's my Question. What can I do to kill the eggs left in the ground this fall and next spring? Drenches or spraying? I do not ever want to see this again. I will be spraying a lot next year, But what can I do prior to the season?

DSC04938
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I lost 2 plants that just died and 2 others that were badly damaged by Root aphids. outdoors. Here's my Question. What can I do to kill the eggs left in the ground this fall and next spring? Drenches or spraying? I do not ever want to see this again. I will be spraying a lot next year, But what can I do prior to the season?
triazicide from Home Depot. It's a kill on contact so make sure you cover the whole area. Might want to find out how you got them on the first place though.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
OMG, WTF is that??? Ew!
I was snapping/twisting stems in early flower and this plants top cola split open, I guess it never heals correctly and the fungus gnat must have laid eggs in there. The hole branch from where I snapped up was like that.:) Almost made me puke

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

pretty sure got them from tomato's . all 4 were the closest to the fence with tomato's on the other side.no more garden close at all..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Root aphids don't lay eggs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I go by the wings, but yeah, that appears to be a female flyer to my eyes, bad as they are. Wasn't it @DGP who's treating successfully using heat? Did you do a thread on that or just add to the other thread? I'll sticky some shit! I can merge threads, but I can't split them.

Top Bottom