Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I go by the wings, but yeah, that appears to be a female flyer to my eyes, bad as they are. Wasn't it @DGP who's treating successfully using heat? Did you do a thread on that or just add to the other thread? I'll sticky some shit! I can merge threads, but I can't split them.
Funny you brought up the heat thing, I was thinking last night about how they come into homes with heaters and heat the House/Rooms ect. to certain temp then hold it for x amount of time to kill eggs, adults, all stages. Thinking that might be the best way to kill theses aphids .

sKully

sKully

I go by the wings, but yeah, that appears to be a female flyer to my eyes, bad as they are. Wasn't it @DGP who's treating successfully using heat? Did you do a thread on that or just add to the other thread? I'll sticky some shit! I can merge threads, but I can't split them.

-

130 Degrees is the supposed sweet spot for hot water treatment of Root Aphids. . I actually root dunked all of these plants with 130-135 degree water and BTI/h202 when they were still in the aeroponic clone setup. I thought I had taken care of all of them as I monitored for 2 weeks after the baths with no activity.
( The BTI was more so the gnats that had tagged along, which no longer exist:fire:)

Then...

3-4 Weeks later.

Flyers...

I'm going with a Pyrethrin dips and hot shot no pest strips. Keep in mind this "Outbreak" is in a small 4x4 tent.

If this fails, i'm going against my organic roots and will be Bayer Tree and Srhubbing these pests with the imid.

The only thing i'm trying to do here is preserve the genetics.

Worst case its gonna be a, clone, azamax bath, h202, light neem spray and start over fresh.

Last edited:
sKully

sKully

Especially if the room/space is empty. It seems to be a much trickier proposition with live plants.

Ah are you talking about a room temp. heat blast on these little fuckers? I haven't heard anything about that as of yet, but i'm all ears.

-sK

sKully

sKully

If your just trying to save genetics, Then start soil drenches ASAP order some of this
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/merit-75-wp-oz-p-300.html

As much as I want to go with the "End-all, Nuke them and let God sort them out" method. I feel that with a 4x4 tent this could be a good time to get some first hand experience with some of these alternative organic products. Worst case like I said ill be cloning, washing and restarting.

I'll let you know when I gotta drop da nuke on em'

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
As much as I want to go with the "End-all, Nuke them and let God sort them out" method. I feel that with a 4x4 tent this could be a good time to get some first hand experience with some of these alternative organic products. Worst case like I said ill be cloning, washing and restarting.

I'll let you know when I gotta drop da nuke on em'
Here is a OMRI one that I'm going to use just came today in the mail.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/evergreen-pyrethrum-concentrate-p-1875.html

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah are you talking about a room temp. heat blast on these little fuckers? I haven't heard anything about that as of yet, but i'm all ears.

-sK
Yes, one of our other members cleared out his greenhouse of these things heating it to about 120*F. You're reporting using temps much higher than I've seen anyone else reporting, but if your plants are living through it you could do a great service to the community and outline in a thread how you've done it. Pix always help!
If your just trying to save genetics, Then start soil drenches ASAP order some of this
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/merit-75-wp-oz-p-300.html
That didn't do it for me. I had to go with the Triazicide. Now I know that I could have given them a one-two punch using the Merit and Triazicide in a certain order (hell if I can remember now), but a week of Tx with the Merit left me bereft of a solution.

sKully

sKully

Yes, one of our other members cleared out his greenhouse of these things heating it to about 120*F. You're reporting using temps much higher than I've seen anyone else reporting, but if your plants are living through it you could do a great service to the community and outline in a thread how you've done it. Pix always help!.

Before you read any further, anything here is based purely off my own anecdotal data. I DO NOT recommend people root drenching their plants in 130 degree water by any means, it was a last ditch effort for me and cost me several of their lives and still DID NOT alleviate me of RA's.

What I can agree to do tho, is tell you what happened so everyone can take from it what they wish and make their own hypothesis.

---

The approach I took was a 130-135(54-57c) degree hot water bath for my aeroponic clones. To help paint the picture, these are clones sitting in air, with the little neoprene sleeves suspending them into a Rubbermaid. I took the clones out of the cloning unit 1 by 1 and completely submerged them in H202, then completely submerged them in 5 gallon bucket filled with 130-135(54-57c) degree water. Fortunately for me, my water heater puts out 130 degrees easy so I hooked up a shower head tot he faucet and rinsed them down while dunking them.

Trust me, I thought the girls we're all going to die for sure. That wasn't the case.

I monitored them in a new environment and noticed every single aphid I could see with my naked eye was dead, no movement, nothing. I didn't have the microscope at the time so I couldn't get down to really see what else was going on. My thoughts were if the larger aphids died a quick death, anything smaller would without a doubt be doomed as well.

Not necessarily the case.

What did happen tho is it shocked the girls so bad from burning off a majority of the root hairs, that it sent them into this daze, that took them a month to pull out of, while under absolutely perfect care. The sad part is somewhere a little aphid survived, or was reintroduced, as those flyers were out and about within 1 month of transplant, and only hitting one of the 3 sticky traps at a rate of 1 every 2-4 days.

Can I say the hot water bath worked?

No and Yes. There was a lot of room for user error do to many factors.

Do I think it can work?

Yes, but you need to take your time and make sure you have the heat dialed in. You MUST BE THOROUGH. If I were to ever have to do this again I would have coupled it with some other form of aphid defense, as well as a nuke of the enire re-introduction area.

The only way I would use this with soil, or any other medium for that matter would be as a last ditch effort. These temps would most likely destroy most microbial life on contact.

The one thing that was for sure, is after I hit them with the hot water, there was ZERO visible RA activity for 2 weeks. Everything was dead as fuck. Nothing moving, nothing crawling. Done..... As far as the HUMAN EYE could see.

That's my experience, take what you wish from it.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple Scholarly articles about heat treating RA's with hot water, floating around. I just have to dig them up.

Cheers

-sK

Last edited:
DGP

DGP

Seamaiden it wasn't me but someone who posted on my thread about the same bugs. I am running a hydro operation so I just pulled the plants out of their buckets and squished the little bastards until they were all gone and kept checking and they never returned. There are some things about hydro I really like. Also, I now keep my water level topped up so they can't live in the roots cause the roots are always submerged. Don't have Root Aphids or Fungus Knats any more cause they don't do well under water. Now I am just struggling with the damn Winter thrip issue.

DGP

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Do you guys have insight on what the best beneficial nematodes work best for total anniliation of mites?

K

Kayamon

I used to get Springtails in my hydro res's and even though they are supposed to be benificial it screwed with my mind seein those jumpin around in the water

I just went Toxic Avenger on an aphid attack...beat'm over the weekend but there wasn't anythng organic about it...lol

Hey texas kid, love your instagram, what did toxic avenger consist of?

K

Kayamon

Yeah I'm interested too I'm using merit 75 I hope it works

I have a buddy that uses a ton of merit and i believe hes created a super root aphid. I have been going through capulators 2 week strategy. i will see if several kilos of this ogbiowar really works for me.

firemanelaflare

firemanelaflare

I have a buddy that uses a ton of merit and i believe hes created a super root aphid. I have been going through capulators 2 week strategy. i will see if several kilos of this ogbiowar really works for me.
I wanna use it but my situation won't allow it too expensive I'm gonna rock the botaniguard

K

Kayamon

It's a fungus that targets root aphids

Yeah its pricey, if i was much bigger it would be debilitating. There is an identical product floating around alibaba, (apparently an identical label to the older cap bennie label) being sold in a certain store in northern california for a little cheaper. ill say no more

Top Bottom