Root aphids?

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smokey79

smokey79

Thanks for your replys : purpleberry,buddy and seamaiden, growing pineapple express from barnys, got one pheno that looks like she hardly been affected budding nice but the other three one def been affected the other two are tendays younger, am hittin the hydro shop today, goin give the triazicide a shot on the worst affected two think the yeild all ready affected and harvest later than earlyer, they are large plants so will prob take that bit longer to ripen here's hope in!
Anyone know how effective neem oil would be at this stage?
was luvin the coco growin till these criters showed up, things have improved a bleached he whole tent out and used the end of gnatoff with lastfeed, but there still adults flyin an means eggs!!! dont want any come backs coz they do with a vengance!
Thanks again any hints tips info appriciated, there sum up dated photos in my gallery.

B

Buddy Hemphill

If you are seeing them flying then you aren't doing much good, I am sad to say.

From the research I did, they have 5 different life stages. They 5th and final stage is the winged stage. They hit that stage when the pot is so full of bugs they have to spread. So they start sprouting wings to get to the next pot.

As my understanding goes, if you SEE them...its almost too late.

I had a light of trainwreck cuttings that never got better. They will...slowly but surely. I know because I am watching them and babying them just so I CAN see how/if the Merit/Aphid damage will repair itself....I have some Mr Nice that is pulling out nicely. Casey Jones is getting there quickly. Jacks Cleaner....heh....you could spray gasoline on it. It likes everything and is the most pest resistant strain I have ever seen. Its doing fine. My little bitchy strains are coming back a little more slowly (moms).

B

Buddy Hemphill

btw....I think they like Neem after their breakfast....lol.....they laughed at me when I sprayed it.

jk...jk...you need napalm for these bastards.

T

tonexbone

Hey there! i see that you know a bit about root aphids! i just discovered them today while picking around in my rockwool and im freaking out a bit haha im about 3-4 weeks into veg and will put up some pictures tomorrow but any advice or anything would be awesome.

thank you!

J

jack_ripa

Take cuttings and start over. Seriously, I had these fuckers and I used Imid and it ruined my plants, even 60 days later the yield was dry looking and the oils were fucked. It didn't even make good hash. The bud tasted and looked like shit on a well known strain. It's not worth infecting other plants or worse, your grow area. People have had to move over these things.

Now, before you do that, be SURE they are root aphids. Get a magnifier and look for the butt tubes. If they are something else you could be in luck and a drench of azamax will kill em. I would never use the imid again. I moved. Don't wait, take cuttings as soon as you know. Drench them and move the grow to another spot.

smokey79

smokey79

Well hit the hydra store and they had just sold out o triazine!!!-backin couple days!-grabbed sum neem, if they can eat that stuff and smile they was doin better than me boy that shit smells bad!, mixed it up with sum tobbac juice and staying away from flowers gave bottom good spray
covering the perlite and stem bottom few inches-dont want any bud at tastes like neem!-
looked in da tent there and is alot better, but been alot of work and prob not worth the effort and expense, end of the day the damage has been done a prob hit them with a triazine drench but even if they all die,die,die!!! they wee buggers,have done unfixable damage to roots and therefore yeild!-experiance and one to be ready for, really wouldnt like to got to battle with these critters again!- thank u buddy and seaM cheers for the accurate info, most of all for helpin keepin smokey smoken!=)

T

tonexbone

Take cuttings and start over. Seriously, I had these fuckers and I used Imid and it ruined my plants, even 60 days later the yield was dry looking and the oils were fucked. It didn't even make good hash. The bud tasted and looked like shit on a well known strain. It's not worth infecting other plants or worse, your grow area. People have had to move over these things.

Now, before you do that, be SURE they are root aphids. Get a magnifier and look for the butt tubes. If they are something else you could be in luck and a drench of azamax will kill em. I would never use the imid again. I moved. Don't wait, take cuttings as soon as you know. Drench them and move the grow to another spot.

when you say butt tubes do u mean like maroon colored tubing that like runs thru the clear larva?

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Hey fella's jus wanted to list what worked for me in my tent, I kept it completely closed/sealed, turn'd on a mini fan 24/7 inside to stir things up, I added to my normal water/feeding regiman predator nematodes from local growshop bi-weekly for a month (I don't throw them out after use "lil sponges" I store it in a new ziploc and reuse it to my hearts content, and added this little guy below from lowes and just sat it on the bottom of my res/runoff tray to get the little hot-steppers

071121055804lg.jpg

within 2 weeks I saw major death of both wing'd & wingless varmin and much improved plant vigor, and w/n a month there were no signs of them on my soil surface, I did see 1 or 2 flying stragglers but those got the kungfu chop, I started letting the soil dry out a lil bit more betw. waterings also, but all in all these two things saved my crop, hope this helps, Peace SSP

L

lil miss lone

Help these things are near indestructable thought had gnats ben a coco grower bot after using gnatol a thought had delt with the rpoblem only to find a on mass revenge attac, i cnat work out if i got two or three diffrent bugs in there, had a flood from burst pipe and had bugs ever since had to move stuff n let plunmbers in!
I have now finished my gnatol to no avail, 24 days into flower, what would you recommend am sure these root aphids are surviving the gnatol and are now the problem after forking out big style on this grow dont want loose my bud at the last throw but outo ideas tryed all organic methods, cider vinegar-no intrest, nicotine, potatoe skins helpful but not enough, am sure others but jut cant seem to get these pests under control, they are sum big got to be gnats??? sum small- all seem prefer the dark of pots to camoflage themselfs, dryed my medium as best i dare dropped temps to 14c at pot level for a day and been keepin low temps at night all to little avil-help!!!!-

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the gnatrol isn't working then I suspect you do indeed have the aphids.
I believe my plants got a virus from the aphids, something similar to Barley Yellow Virus, where the damage to the leaves looks the same as aphids, but there are no bugs. I was bug free in my rooms, and I had taken cuts of some of my mothers before toss, dipped them in Triazicide and a week later they were showing the signs of damage, but I tore apart the clones, no bugs. I ended up chopping Everything, and cried about it later. Looking back I would have used a product called Sevin. Literature on it says it is highly toxic to insects but not toxic at all to humans, and is used on food plants in agriculture. We did use Bayer Tree and Shrub (Imid) as well as Triazicide, but if I had to do it all over I would have used the Sevin and the Triazicide. Good luck my friend.

L

lil miss lone

Tonex, the best way to tell if they are aphids and not gnats is to use anything with BTi in it, like those Mosquito Dunks you can buy at home depot. Grind them up and add to your water/nute solution. If that doesn't rid you of the problem then it is aphids. Also, I've never seen fungus gnats do as much damage as aphids. Good luck buddy!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
when you say butt tubes do u mean like maroon colored tubing that like runs thru the clear larva?
I tried my best to see the butt tubes (on the fliers) that Jack's talking about, I just could not see them. I had brown roots and awful-looking plants, so I went nuclear. My reasoning was a lot like my reasoning when we thought our granddaughter had Celiac disease--the testing is invasive and dangerous (includes biopsy of the small intestine, not gonna happen on a 2yo without real need) and the treatment protocol, should she have been found to be positively Celiac, is to put her on a gluten-free diet. Why not just put her on the gluten-free diet, then? That's what we did.

Also, Triazicide can be found at any home garden center, you don't have to be married to the hydro shops for that sort of thing.

T

tonexbone

Tonex, the best way to tell if they are aphids and not gnats is to use anything with BTi in it, like those Mosquito Dunks you can buy at home depot. Grind them up and add to your water/nute solution. If that doesn't rid you of the problem then it is aphids. Also, I've never seen fungus gnats do as much damage as aphids. Good luck buddy!

thank you! im gonna try that today and im putting up pictures up in a few hours. from when i found the first larva to now (12 hours) the plants have rapidly deteriorated :( hopefully pictures will help

my other question is about azamax, it looks like it would kill aphids but i havent seen anyone say if it does or not. anyone know?

thank you!

T

tonexbone

I tried my best to see the butt tubes (on the fliers) that Jack's talking about, I just could not see them. I had brown roots and awful-looking plants, so I went nuclear. My reasoning was a lot like my reasoning when we thought our granddaughter had Celiac disease--the testing is invasive and dangerous (includes biopsy of the small intestine, not gonna happen on a 2yo without real need) and the treatment protocol, should she have been found to be positively Celiac, is to put her on a gluten-free diet. Why not just put her on the gluten-free diet, then? That's what we did.

Also, Triazicide can be found at any home garden center, you don't have to be married to the hydro shops for that sort of thing.

hmmm i dont have any flying insects in my growroom, yet my plants are deteriorating in health and i have little clear larva. would the triazicide would wipe out aphids and gnats?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It wiped out EVERYTHING!!!! I made fucking WAR upon them, Wrath of God-type shit. Couple days ago did it with OxiDate for the PM (this grow was doomed from the start, I shouldn't have joked and called it 'adulation of Mary', this is why I'm being spanked) and burned the living hell out of one girl. The triazicide didn't make them blink. Root drench, what I did was flood my trays, left it for two days so the coco would get nicely saturated, and *that* did the trick. I couldn't see any larvae, but that doesn't mean none were there, the roots looked like shit and at the point when I hit them I usually have nice, white roots coming out of the bottoms of the pots (I use 1gal pots, SOG-stylee).

T

tonexbone

hmm im growing in 6 inch rockwall cubes how would i go about treating them? do i mix it into their food? (my first grow in rockwool)

thank you!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I made it its own mix, but I did add MaxiCrop to it. It was also pH-adjusted for coco (don't remember w/out looking @ my notes). Much welcome, very glad I can help. :)

T

tonexbone

Ok thank you!
i posted a new thread with pictures and my grow rundown any feedback would be very much appreciated.

thank you

L

lil miss lone

my other question is about azamax, it looks like it would kill aphids but i havent seen anyone say if it does or not. anyone know?

thank you!

Tone, I did a whole thread on the root aphids Check it out. I used Azatrol (same as Azamax) on the only two plants I had flowering, starting from basically day one. I did root drenches about once a week. The Azatrol controlled them big-time, not a single flyer in the flower room, but it by no means will kill them. I have several pics of the plants in flower all the way to chop, including pics of the root zone (all brown) and the pot used (bugs all over it).

B

Buddy Hemphill

How old were they when you hit them?

I had cuttings up to 3 week old plants that were basically unaffected. It hurt older plants, but not the babies

jasongood31

jasongood31

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the gnatrol isn't working then I suspect you do indeed have the aphids.
I believe my plants got a virus from the aphids, something similar to Barley Yellow Virus, where the damage to the leaves looks the same as aphids, but there are no bugs. I was bug free in my rooms, and I had taken cuts of some of my mothers before toss, dipped them in Triazicide and a week later they were showing the signs of damage, but I tore apart the clones, no bugs. I ended up chopping Everything, and cried about it later. Looking back I would have used a product called Sevin. Literature on it says it is highly toxic to insects but not toxic at all to humans, and is used on food plants in agriculture. We did use Bayer Tree and Shrub (Imid) as well as Triazicide, but if I had to do it all over I would have used the Sevin and the Triazicide. Good luck my friend.

I cut a dome of clones (like 36) and got like 11 to root.... but i also cut a dome and got 100% too root its a weird hit or miss.... I honestly think it causes an ireversable effect to the nitrogen/chlrophyll supply of the plant witch would be a issue with photosythisis right??? lol maybe that was just a assumption but maybe its more

Top Bottom