Root Aphids

• Thread starter Chobble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chobble

Chobble

Do you have a picture of your bugs?
View attachment 210294View attachment 210295View attachment 210296

Adult pre wing ra, fungas knat, root aphid winged stage. These are magnafied between 200 and 400 times. The size of ra in the first picture is actually smaller then this dot( . ) Very dificult to see with bare eye in dirt, I think some people think they are eliminating ra's when they actually are eliminating fungas knats and visa versa. Hope you get the upper hand.

I know what Fungas gnats are, I just havnt had to deal with RA before >.> (My luck ehh). I know they're RA because of the flying form, They dont look like Fungas gnats at all. (Especially on the roots of my clones in the cloner, boy is that killin me)

Even if they are fungas gnats, which I dont think they are (I've been at war with them for two weeks now) I hope the azamax will kill them.

Thanks for the help,
Chobble

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

fwiw lilmissone used a shitload of azamax in flower and she said it just barley knocked em back but not completely, let us know how it goes for you... good luck man
spectracide didnt do jack shit for me even @ full dose..

I have a small infestation in my veg which im about to hit with merrit, pyr bomb and a huge cleanup in that order followed by caps bennies after couple days, fun morning for me :mad:
I think the pyr bomb is needed after you flush out the plants, for the fliers leaving the pot and hiding in your grow room, only to come back a couple weeks later..
hopefully this triple kill combo will do the trick, ill post back

monkeymun

monkeymun

How about soaking the rootzone in natural water-based pyrethrum? It would effectively kill all the adult/larval aphids while remaining harmless to the plants. It is also organic. Mildly toxic to humans, but not too bad.

Chobble

Chobble

fwiw lilmissone used a shitload of azamax in flower and she said it just barley knocked em back but not completely, let us know how it goes for you... good luck man
spectracide didnt do jack shit for me even @ full dose..

I have a small infestation in my veg which im about to hit with merrit, pyr bomb and a huge cleanup in that order followed by caps bennies after couple days, fun morning for me :mad:
I think the pyr bomb is needed after you flush out the plants, for the fliers leaving the pot and hiding in your grow room, only to come back a couple weeks later..
hopefully this triple kill combo will do the trick, ill post back

Putting up fly strips because I noticed a large increase in flyers after I used the azamax (Awesome right, Thats how I would react too...) So I'm just going to do my best to kill these mother f'ers.

Im interested in the pyrethrum drench, any recommendations on products?

Chobbs

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Putting up fly strips because I noticed a large increase in flyers after I used the azamax (Awesome right, Thats how I would react too...) So I'm just going to do my best to kill these mother f'ers.

Im interested in the pyrethrum drench, any recommendations on products?

Chobbs
exciteRis pyrethium product.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Azamax root drenching works well and is pretty organic, but is rediculously expensive. I like to work a root drench of INSECT FRASS into my matinence regimen. As well as mix it into my soil when i transplant. Its a completely Organic product made of bug shit, It feeds the plant and builds its immune system so it can work on fighting the bugs too.

Chobble

Chobble

Azamax root drenching works well and is pretty organic, but is rediculously expensive. I like to work a root drench of INSECT FRASS into my matinence regimen. As well as mix it into my soil when i transplant. Its a completely Organic product made of bug shit, It feeds the plant and builds its immune system so it can work on fighting the bugs too.

We used this in our commercial garden, Well a product like that (Root Shield). I've been thinking about just about potting up with it mixed in my soil and switching to flower as this RA thing is cramping my style.

deep buddy

deep buddy

We used this in our commercial garden, Well a product like that (Root Shield). I've been thinking about just about potting up with it mixed in my soil and switching to flower as this RA thing is cramping my style.
i would try pyganic it isnt cheap but for a pyreth drench its pretty effective. azamax will only have a limited effectiveness as the aphids dont have a standard reproductive cycle. spectracide worked best in my opinion and is cheap(i tried everything!!!!) it is not organic. i will say the pyganic is very thick and oily so watch out for root rot esp. with the damage already created by the ra's. its funny i remember when i first found them i was freaking out, but now im just like RA's ahh what eva. what doesnt shut you down makes you smarter. the only other thing i would suggest is caps bennies.

Chobble

Chobble

i would try pyganic it isnt cheap but for a pyreth drench its pretty effective. azamax will only have a limited effectiveness as the aphids dont have a standard reproductive cycle. spectracide worked best in my opinion and is cheap(i tried everything!!!!) it is not organic. i will say the pyganic is very thick and oily so watch out for root rot esp. with the damage already created by the ra's. its funny i remember when i first found them i was freaking out, but now im just like RA's ahh what eva. what doesnt shut you down makes you smarter. the only other thing i would suggest is caps bennies.

Yeah, Im noticing the azamax killed them off in my riot cubes but not the soil. The azamax may have even persuaded a bunch of them to go airborne and lay eggs >.> So I just need to get my caps bennies.

Chobbs

Pinky Lee

Pinky Lee

Beneficial microbes are the way to go. Inoculate and forget (most of the time). I've been buying them off of eBay for almost a year and have barely touched the half gallon of neem oil I have sitting on the shelf.

Ganjafarmer562

Ganjafarmer562

I would try an azatrol root drench like mentioned above. has worked wonders form me in the past. There is also Easy Wet SE from Grow More that works super good. Fellow growers are raving about how it works and its very reasonably priced. Also if price is a concern, home depot carries this stuff called seven that will def take care of your problem but you need to be in veg because it takes a while to get out of the plant. Also for the flying ones get some yellow sticky traps in the area. Once they are adults they only focus on mating so kill those fuckers fast!

Chobble

Chobble

I would try an azatrol root drench like mentioned above. has worked wonders form me in the past. There is also Easy Wet SE from Grow More that works super good. Fellow growers are raving about how it works and its very reasonably priced. Also if price is a concern, home depot carries this stuff called seven that will def take care of your problem but you need to be in veg because it takes a while to get out of the plant. Also for the flying ones get some yellow sticky traps in the area. Once they are adults they only focus on mating so kill those fuckers fast!

Yeah I have been treating it with azamax (Same as azatrol) I only noticed it make more flyers appear.

Chobble

liketosmoke

liketosmoke

This is the link to caps bennies,i use them at it works great for ra and you are organic so that's even better.

S

StonerB

Try brewing up a tea made with "insect frass" Its hard to find but pretty cheap. Its will give an organic 2-2-2 fert. along with providing a ton of chitin so your plant will activate its own defense system. It will also repel the root aphids in an organic and cheap way. If you do gain some cash the next step even though many say it wont work is Azatrol or Azamax. They WILL work but are not a poison but rather an insect growth regulator. Instead of killing pests they will prevent feeding, molting, reproducing, and growth. This action will take some time to wipe out an entire colony but once its gone its GONE. I know systemic is a scary word for organic growers but the azadirachtin will actually become embedded in the tissue of plants and start to REPEL pests after long enough. I will also say I have heard good things about the SNS drench but im still in trial period.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
FYI< There appear to be many different types of root aphids and different things work for controlling each type. Some types reported on cannabis are: Myzus Periscae, Aphis Fabae, Aphis Gossypi, Apaterae aka Bhang Aphid/Hemp Louse, and Hope Aphid (p.humuli) to name a few of them. Corn root aphids are supposed to be prevalent in the rockies. Green peach aphid a.k.a. Myzus Periscae has many different forms during the life cycle.

My point is, if you really want to get rid of them hoping wont work. need to identify and go to war with the appropriate mode of action. Example: Imidaclopid works against m.periscae, a.gossypii, and especially p.humuli, but not against A.fabae.(not suggesting imidaclopid! only an example)

I got my information from Hemp Diseases and Pests.
Another tip to help win the war: Do you got ants? set up an ant trap to double check no ants can get in. Aphids are smart little fuckers and ants are there partners in crime.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

FYI< There appear to be many different types of root aphids and different things work for controlling each type. Some types reported on cannabis are: Myzus Periscae, Aphis Fabae, Aphis Gossypi, Apaterae aka Bhang Aphid/Hemp Louse, and Hope Aphid (p.humuli) to name a few of them. Corn root aphids are supposed to be prevalent in the rockies. Green peach aphid a.k.a. Myzus Periscae has many different forms during the life cycle.

My point is, if you really want to get rid of them hoping wont work. need to identify and go to war with the appropriate mode of action. Example: Imidaclopid works against m.periscae, a.gossypii, and especially p.humuli, but not against A.fabae.(not suggesting imidaclopid! only an example)

I got my information from Hemp Diseases and Pests.
Another tip to help win the war: Do you got ants? set up an ant trap to double check no ants can get in. Aphids are smart little fuckers and ants are there partners in crime.

Ants farm aphids. They know if they can get them to infest something theyll have a plentiful food source...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It was a large ant trail that first suggested to me that my girls had something weird going on.

Also, someone wrote to me last year suggesting a lot could be learned by monitoring brix levels, and keeping them up. Brix generally = plant health.

Chobble

Chobble

It was a large ant trail that first suggested to me that my girls had something weird going on.

Also, someone wrote to me last year suggesting a lot could be learned by monitoring brix levels, and keeping them up. Brix generally = plant health.

Yeah Im working on the ant problem right now, Im hitting them with Caps bennies in the morning, The levels of flyers in the room have definately subsided even though Im sure theres plenty in the roots still. I think the azamax was effective but did not eliminate the problem.

B

Burned Haze

If you make sure to let your plants fully dry before waterings it will lower your chances by quite q. Bit of aphids wanting to be there.

Chobble

Chobble

If you make sure to let your plants fully dry before waterings it will lower your chances by quite q. Bit of aphids wanting to be there.

I actually noticed that. I let me room dry out completely over a week in an attempt to save what I could (Lost some good plants, and pissed the moms off). Im recovering now but the aphids definitely didnt come back after that, I saw a few flyers but the populations where hurt for sure. I also saw 1-2 where I was seeing 40-50 on a plants root system.

That was after two weeks of azamax, but the azamax wasnt helping to much. It may have been encouraging populations to go to flyers or it was because of dense populations that they went to flyers.

Anyways so I let everything dry out, the plants where sadly sadly dehydrated with crackling leaves etc. I then hit them with some Caps Bennies/Compost tea and they have been coming back. I saw one flier, Killed it. None since and nothing seen on roots as of yet.

If only we got badges for beating these things ;)

Chobble out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom