Root Bags (fabric Pot)

• Thread starter gwheels
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gwheels

gwheels

I bought 5 of these 3 gallon fabric pots that say root bags on them.

I have a plant in one but it doesnt seem to drain right to me.

Can I poke a bunch of holes in the bottom of it with a pin to get it to drain better ?

The soil is 30% perlite 70% organic soil and it drains great in the plastic pots but not so much in this one.

N

noone88

It takes a bit especially when the fabric pots are new. You aren't necessarily getting them for the drainage; fabric pots are good for letting air get into the root system by allowing the medium to dry out faster. Try soaking the fabric pot first or just keep on using them and they'll fix themselves.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

It takes a bit especially when the fabric pots are new. You aren't necessarily getting them for the drainage; fabric pots are good for letting air get into the root system by allowing the medium to dry out faster. Try soaking the fabric pot first or just keep on using them and they'll fix themselves.
I have been toying with the idea of fabric pots for my grow next year. I am also looking at the 3:gallon bags

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'm testing out 4x 5gal smart pots this next run against my tried and proven 4.7gal (x8 more) nursery pots. Hope I didn't make a mistake. I've read the smart pots dry out quicker, and are a bit tricky to dial in in the begining. After you get used to them, they rock.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

^^^
Wasn't looking to do even more work than normal in my garden. Wasn't aware I had to coddle my new fabric pots in order for them to work properly. Might nix the fabric pots and stick to what's been working for 4+yrs.

IIIQBIII

IIIQBIII

I use fabric pots as well. Love em. I am used to their quirkiness. The ladies seem to love them. I have a little platform I use for drainage so I can test the water coming out. I haven't used an actual bucket since my first run. :)

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I use fabric pots as well. Love em. I am used to their quirkiness. The ladies seem to love them. I have a little platform I use for drainage so I can test the water coming out. I haven't used an actual bucket since my first run. :)
Thats because watee can drain off and air can get at the roots

mancdank

mancdank

I have a little experience with these imo there awesome they allow for much more efficient use of the medium with the way the root is air pruned. Look at a rhizosystem it's a dripper type system designed for root pouches it's guna be my next pet project

N

noone88

Definitely get the riser. Sunlight supply carries them as the
Gro Pro® NX Level™ Pot Elevators

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/bycategory/pots-containers/gro-pro-nx-level-pot-

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@mancdank follow link, then when you get there and it says page not found. Look to the upper left and click products. Then go to media and pots. Then I had to search "riser" and it took me right there. They are actually labeled "elevators" Hope this helps

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Cause if you arent, I'm trashed enough for both of us. :D Just got home from work at 3 am and just getting my groove on. Wow that was sort of 60's Sounded like an ole hippy for chris sakes. :cool:

gwheels

gwheels

I dont understand how you can smoke those crappy tasting raw papers. Rizzla is my friend :o

And the root pouch started draining right. I put a rack you use for baking underneath it and now it drains right and the plant is starting ti grow a lot better :)

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

^^^
Wasn't looking to do even more work than normal in my garden. Wasn't aware I had to coddle my new fabric pots in order for them to work properly. Might nix the fabric pots and stick to what's been working for 4+yrs.
Just put a little hydroton or a brick or lava rock or plastic sheet grid for light baffling from h/w store under em. Mine sit in a UC style connected buckets DTW like Deacon has.

Ive accidentally overwatered too many clones/teens in plastic pots where cloner used bad drainage soil, etc.

Cloth pots out produce, breathe better, more feeder and less tap roots, no spiraling. No comparison.

1g grey ones. Forgot the brand. Best of all Ive compared.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't really wanting any extra coddling from new pots. If the growth is far superior to nursery pots, then I guess it's an even trade off. I used to line the bottom 1" of my pots with rocks, but after 3 runs it got old trying to dig out all the rocks from the root ball. I have some small mesh Chicken wire I can line the drip tray with, but imo might be difficult to vac the overflow of liquid.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't really wanting any extra coddling from new pots. If the growth is far superior to nursery pots, then I guess it's an even trade off. I used to line the bottom 1" of my pots with rocks, but after 3 runs it got old trying to dig out all the rocks from the root ball. I have some small mesh Chicken wire I can line the drip tray with, but imo might be difficult to vac the overflow of liquid.
I layer with hydroton at bottom, or used to. Small cloth pots beat large ones, beat plastic by light years, beat the plastic rolled ones with holes all over sides (they dont breathe, and bugs go straight to holes into soil).

Grey ones beat black or white ones, too. White ones have thick outer layer that restricts breathing. The best ones are charcoal colored, uniform material, and 1 gallon seriously outgrows all others.

With coco you cannot overwater them, just dont let em sit in puddles long. Any cheap small plastic thing so they don't sit in water long. These pots are fantastic for bottom feeding though, so small ponding beneath not a problem IME.
Just my observations. These crush everything Ive tried. Had a 5' Ewok in corner with least light or air in garden, started smaller, blew the fck UP.

Im convinced. And you can do shit tons of quick multi feeds daily with a short cycle timer easy... forces way stronger flower growth. Try one side by side... dude on Instagram has 4 pounders in tiny cloth pots like these, dtw onto his bare floor. Its crazy.

Top Bottom