Root Rot- Anyone have experience with Botanicare’s Hydrogaurd?

• Thread starter Yoda707
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

Yoda707

After some extensive troubleshooting I’ve concluded my issue is simply root rot. Plants were stunted, yellow, and generally sad as hell. Many have snapped out of it, after letting the soil to dry, foiler feeding with numerous products, but nearly half are suffering still. After a bit of research on root rot I heard about Botanicare’s product Hydrogaurd. It sounds fantastic for preventing root rot pathogens but in curious if anyone has personally had success with it when root rot has already set in? And if so what have you learned?

Background:
I’ve grown for decades but am recently back from a long break and am having to relearn a lot as technology and strains have changed.
-Using Gavitas 1000
-Promix
-Cutting edge solutions

growsince79

growsince79

After some extensive troubleshooting I’ve concluded my issue is simply root rot. Plants were stunted, yellow, and generally sad as hell. Many have snapped out of it, after letting the soil to dry, foiler feeding with numerous products, but nearly half are suffering still. After a bit of research on root rot I heard about Botanicare’s product Hydrogaurd. It sounds fantastic for preventing root rot pathogens but in curious if anyone has personally had success with it when root rot has already set in? And if so what have you learned?

Background:
I’ve grown for decades but am recently back from a long break and am having to relearn a lot as technology and strains have changed.
-Using Gavitas 1000
-Promix
-Cutting edge solutions
Don't know but I'd like to see what responses you get.

Heywood

Heywood

Howdy friend. The search function here is one that actually works pretty well.

If you do a search for hydroguard, you'll get many hits and maybe give you an opportunity to do some research so when the hordes start throwing information at you here, you'll have some references.

And this is certainly meant in a friendly manner.
Cheers!

Y

Yoda707

Howdy friend. The search function here is one that actually works pretty well.

If you do a search for hydroguard, you'll get many hits and maybe give you an opportunity to do some research so when the hordes start throwing information at you here, you'll have some references.

And this is certainly meant in a friendly manner.
Cheers!
Thanks. I did search Hydrogaurd but all the posts were all about hydro set ups so it doesn’t quite translate for my situation.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hydrogaurd is good but in soil id use southern AG fungicide. Dont bother with enzymes unless in soilless or hydro.

The bacteria you looking to use is bacillus amyloliquefaciens.

I remember a help thread but cannot remember the issue that may have caused this. Usually its a watering issue so while the treatment may clear up this up, its most important to fix the root cause

Last edited:
Y

Yoda707

Hydrogaurd is good but in soil id use southern AG fungicide. Dont bother with enzymes unless in soilless or hydro.

The bacteria you looking to use is bacillus amyloliquefaciens.

I remember a help thread but cannot remember the issue that may have caused this. Usually its a watering issue so while the treatment may clear up this up, its most important to fix the root cause
I’m using Procision soil (Promix type) which, from what I’ve learned recently, IS considered a soilless medium? So Hydrogaurd would be advisable in my situation?

Another concern I have is when to add in Hydrogaurd in terms of soil moisture level. I’m not wanting to add more water (plus Hydrogaurd), too soon, potentially contributing to more root rot, but these plant need something asap. I’m just not sure how quickly Hydrogaurd works?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’m using Procision soil (Promix type) which, from what I’ve learned recently, IS considered a soilless medium? So Hydrogaurd would be advisable in my situation?

Another concern I have is when to add in Hydrogaurd in terms of soil moisture level. I’m not wanting to add more water (plus Hydrogaurd), too soon, potentially contributing to more root rot, but these plant need something asap. I’m just not sure how quickly Hydrogaurd works?
No thats peat based so southern ag

Last edited:
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
if root rot is really advanced you need to get rid of the slime because in it are dangerous mycotoxins which will kill the plant if it continues to take them up with the water.
Usually you can let the soil dry up, then do a bonzai rootball cutback which also gives you the chance to further inspect the problematic sites, then transplant into fresh medium.
If you are still in veg a little drought stress isnt much of a problem and could be partially relieved by increasing rH. In bloom it's a tough call though...

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
and btw, a peat-based substrate needs some dryback otherwise dangerous anoxious zones let the bad bacteria dwell... some peat can hold a boatload of water and is far from the properties of a well-aerated hydroponic setup like DWC + airstone, aeroponics or cocos/perlie

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

if root rot is really advanced you need to get rid of the slime because in it are dangerous mycotoxins which will kill the plant if it continues to take them up with the water.
Usually you can let the soil dry up, then do a bonzai rootball cutback which also gives you the chance to further inspect the problematic sites, then transplant into fresh medium.
If you are still in veg a little drought stress isnt much of a problem and could be partially relieved by increasing rH. In bloom it's a tough call though...
This is a good plan… thanks for sharing that. In peat/soil IME the root volume tends to gravitate towards the bottom and sides of the pots. I attribute this to moisture distribution and hi oxygen availability in those areas. They are also the most susceptible and vulnerable to infections as they are exposed first to most pathogens and prone to over or underwatering caused damage that increases risk of infection

Never heard of that but it makes absolute sense imo and the only thing id add in addition to increasing humidity is to also reduce the light intensity to further reduce transpirational demands

Y

Yoda707

There’s is no slime.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hey @oldskol4evr how ya doing brother?
doing good bro, seems like normal issues lately
took mama to oncologist today and i have surgery friday,so ya normal i guess ,how you been broham
see you doing some schooling ,great advice too

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

doing good bro, seems like normal issues lately
took mama to oncologist today and i have surgery friday,so ya normal i guess ,how you been broham
see you doing some schooling ,great advice too
Ahhh the sick sense of humour age has. Glad to hear your still in good spirits and rockin the humour. If you cant laugh then your stuck crying and that aint much fun… i hooe the surgery is minor and wont give me a scare like last time…

I dont think i dare need to tell you to give the nurses hell cause if you didnt then id be worried

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Ahhh the sick sense of humour age has. Glad to hear your still in good spirits and rockin the humour. If you cant laugh then your stuck crying and that aint much fun… i hooe the surgery is minor and wont give me a scare like last time…

I dont think i dare need to tell you to give the nurses hell cause if you didnt then id be worried
just gal bladder ,day surgery but dang im running out of parts ,even a great restore needs parts hahaah

Latest posts

Top Bottom