Rooted Fan Leaves

• Thread starter Magellan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Magellan

Magellan

I am happy to report that all four of the leafs are still alive and very green, however they haven't produced any new growth. Three of the leaves have started to curl down slightly. One leave got slightly sunburned from reflected sunlight off of a window. The leafs seem pretty thick and stiff...more so than normal fan leafs. The two that are in the bloom room on 12/12 look about the same that are in the grow room. I was hoping that the 12/12 would make some changes. Also, I knocked one of them over tonight when watering my other plants and it broke one the leaf fingers. Below is a pic of the two that are in the grow room. As you can see the one on the right (bottom) is curling. The two in the bloom room are doing the same thing. Other than that they seem healthy. I am getting a little discouraged that nothing further has developed for weeks. I wonder if they need to be transplanted to bigger pots. Should I check the root growth on one of them?

20160503 220422

Magellan

Magellan

Update - All but one of the rooted fan leaves are really curling down, and showing some browning - but are still mostly green. I pulled one out of its plastic pot and the roots were not looking very good. So I removed some of the soil and added new. I wonder if the leaves have reached the end of their life span and this is the beginning of the end sicne they weren't able to grow new stems/leaves?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Have you tried scoring the stem right where all of the leaves converge with a razor?
Update - All but one of the rooted fan leaves are really curling down, and showing some browning - but are still mostly green. I pulled one out of its plastic pot and the roots were not looking very good. So I removed some of the soil and added new. I wonder if the leaves have reached the end of their life span and this is the beginning of the end sicne they weren't able to grow new stems/leaves?
That is usually where I see random fan nugs pop out.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Heh,
shoudda known to ask you first--
I thought I heard a specific term for that sometime--
obviously not...
After reading your question I checked a few diagrams of compound palmates and they don't specify it so I wanted to know :)

Are you thinking of pulvinus?

"A pulvinus (pl. pulvini) is a joint-like thickening at the base of a plant leaf or leaflet that facilitates growth-independent (nyctinastic and thigmonastic) movement"

Also known as the motor organ. It's like a servo in a robot.
https://books.google.nl/books/about/The_Pulvinus.html?id=PX1tQgAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Mimosa pudica has very fast operating and responsive pulvinis. Main pulvinus for where the petiole attaches to the stem and for the compound pinate leaf pulvini for individual leaflets.

In cannabis the pulvinis is that fat knuckle at the base of a petiole. I'm pretty sure cannabis does not have a secondary pulvinus at the terminal end of the petiole nor pulvini at the base of leaflets (same spot on a compound palmate). The drooping for example is according to Kraus epinasty, another type of movement:
http://www.planthormones.info/epinasty.htm

Cannabis cotyledons appearantly don't have a pulvinis either. From the works of Darwin:

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Are you thinking of pulvinus?
Maybe that was it,
'twaz long ago;

I'm pretty sure cannabis does not have a secondary pulvinus at the terminal end of the petiole nor pulvini at the base of leaflets (same spot on a compound palmate).
--------------
Mimosa pudica has very fast operating and responsive pulvinis.
My plants are very sensitive Heh...
From the works of Darwin:
You an' Darwin always make me "work"
What kinda nasty???...
...epinasty...

keiksweat

keiksweat

I'm thinking there done for now pal.would love to see something amazing sprout,but me thinks not.plz try another interesting experiment though if so.been cool to watch.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I'm thinking there done for now pal.would love to see something amazing sprout,but me thinks not.plz try another interesting experiment though if so.been cool to watch.
You in charge here???
Tag on your thread:

Last edited:
Dunge

Dunge

Let's get a conversation going on the term "thin skinned" while we wait for nothing to happen.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Did you split one of the stems?and are they all showing the same curling over now?I'd re pot one in fresh soil maybe..

Magellan

Magellan

About 2 weeks ago on the healthiest leaf, I made a small slice at the top of the stem where the fingers meet. The wound just dried and kind of healed.

Also, it appears that all of the leaves are dying. One has completely dried up and the others are following suit. They look to be dying from old age. They are probably nearly 6 months old. I have kept them watered and in filtered sunlight (I think full sunlight wad too hot for them). I also think that two of them had some birds peck at them - which caused damage.

I guess this concludes this experiment and proves that while you can get fan leaves to root, they won't grow anything else.

I will take one of them from their pot and remove some of the soil to show roots (if they haven't decayed to nothingness).

This was fun while it lasted and I thank those of you who commented and showed interest.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Kinda what I was expecting from the beginning, I really didn't see how they could do anything. It was cool having someone try it though, I never would've even thought they would root.
Thanks for posting this up for us man.

Top Bottom