roots organic soil

• Thread starter acanx702
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

acanx702

I recently restarted a cycle and switched from hydro to soil using roots organic soil, a friend of mine who has been a grower for a long time told me i could use RO water throughout veg/flowering with no additional nutes and be fine. I am sort of skeptical on that and was wondering the advice of you guys. is that true? if not what nutes and such to use, i honestly dont know much about soil from being a hydro person previously

thanks guys

F

frostedlove

don't feed anything for a couple of feedings for sure cause that stuff is supper charged. I bet after a week or two of just water you can give them a a little. I don't like the roots soil, I would rather use the roots soiless mix coco....If you were a hydro man that would be easier to covert too. Make sure you dry that soil out real good between watering because that soils holds water pretty good. All together roots organics is awsome and you cant go wrong with anything of theres

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
yes , you can do it. r/o only and zero food, all the food is in the medium. KISS

Check out waayne's theads. I find it stay wet a long time, add some perlite to allow faster drying.

I did the same with fox farm ocean forest and it was some tasty organic herb.

Hindu the 707 mix is a lighter mix.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
i use roots and i have found when using r/o water, you can have micro nute def. later on in flowering. i use micro blast from earth juice and hit em with it ... foliar too.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
which roots organic are you using? the 707 line is only lightly amended - so you would need to start feeding them after a week or 2 at best.

S

sharky

I use roots but also use subcools mix that works great for me.

A

acanx702

yeah ive always wanted to use subcools mix, i dont have the bag laying around but im pretty sure it was as basic as it gets, just the RO in the cammo bag.

B

bringtahoetreez

I also use roots and add 10% perlite. seems to help in the altitude. some of the factors can depend on your strain. I've found that some strains like less nutrients than others...

V

vancerz

roots comes charged as hell I have burnt my plants with even half dose feedings, definitely have to wait a good minute the soil is so charged even when I cut it with a brick of coco I cant fertilize right a away.

Molasses and a little seaweed with RO watter in the begining works good for me

I love the stuff and its a good value as well in my opinion.

B

Buddy Flowers

i live at 10,750 ft and any soil works up here..just preference

homebrew420

homebrew420

I use the roots And add blood meal and rainbow Bloom. AND feed. I am vegging under T5s. I have NEVER burnt the plants. Heard the same about FF ocean Forest. Don't get it. putting freshly rooted clones in this mix, using slightly less dry ferts. Oh and forgot to mention I feed with GH FloraNova as well. I do not have issues with much of any deficiencies, though to be honest the girls are probably pretty close to N over fertilizing. THey Look sublime, deeeeep green and reaching for the lights.

B

Buddy Hemphill

I added some ew castings and denali gold humus to the roots and then added 30% #4 chunky perlite. The health of these plants is better than promix and PBP that I just switched from.

The great part for me is not having big nute schedule differences while running multiple strains....everything loves it...

I was phing to high and locked them out....but thats on me. Not the roots.

I am using a little EJ catalyst and microblast and botanicare cal/mag.

R

Radio_Dread

the roots potting soil is some quility stuff and you could prob get away with only watering them for the first 30 days or so. then you might need to kick in some cal-mag and possibly some extra N depending on how long you veg. The past few runs i have used the 707 and it works great, however it doesnt have as much in the mix "potting" soil, but you can always add whatever you need. personal for the price of 3 cu/ft for roots organic 707 you cant beat it.

RD

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

haha love roots organic, i use with happy frog mix and add 25% perlite,i find that if i don't mix the happy frog with it and add perlite the mix can be to light for some of my girls. Take it easy brothas ... worm castings and poopoo are also good to add along with some bacteria cultures.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I have used the 707 in the past and got away w/ no nutes for a couple weeks. Once they kicked into gear i put them on a fairly organic feeding schedule. Thats up to each person but a general formula from any major co. plus some calmag should do the trick. Sea kelp (AN) is the bomb during flower but i assume thats not news to many people. Molasses also will help supply natural bulk as well as feed any beneficial organisms you add to the soil.

I like the mix...very nice quality ...but the 707 doesnt supply much in the later stages of growth. My plantshave yellowed badly about 4wks in flwr. Any ideas....dont want to toxify soil...

I have always added N during weeks 3 and 4 of flower. It gives them the extra boost they need after they have their bud set. You shouldn't have a problem if you dont go crazy w/ it and are pro-active. In case you dont know, old N diff. leaves will not get better, but it will help future leaves from yellowing and dying. I expect a good portion of mine to die off later, like in the final week, due to good flushing and the fact the plant is finishing its life cycle. Just dont over do it early into flower and things should stack up nicely.
For now you can try any organic N fert. and you should be fine. You can always foliar feed which seems to help quicker than through the soil.:damnhippie:

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I like the mix...very nice quality ...but the 707 doesnt supply much in the later stages of growth. My plantshave yellowed badly about 4wks in flwr. Any ideas....dont want to toxify soil...

707 is very light nutes, not even enough to get you through veg IMO (not in my outdoor it wasnt anyway)

I know shit about organics and making teas or the like but technaflora pura vida worked very well for me

T

TheIronLung317

What Ph do you start your water with to end up with the proper run off? I try to keep my run off ph at least at 6.5 so that the cal and mag can be absorbed. What ph do you guys prefer your run off to be for the regular super charged roots organic soil? I notice my run off comes out too low at around 5.7- 6 even if i add 7+ ph'd water. Any suggestions?

T

tomsawyer

I would not try a entire run without supplementing nutes. Unless you are adding amendments and you know what you're doing. You will need beneficials to help breakd down. Roots organic soil is good stuff. I like the soilless mix and agree it is close to hydro and would be an easier transition for a hydro grower. Roots Organiz soilless with H&G Cocos a&b has been my thing. 1 per 600!!

SurfdOut

SurfdOut

Any of you guys have any experience/opinions on Roots Greenfield bag?

Latest posts

Top Bottom