Running CO2 until Final Harvest Day

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

When to stop co2 during flowering?​

I understand how and why to use CO2 from a scientific/biological standpoint, and I'm happy with the success I've had with it.

I grow OG only.

What I'm wondering is this: If I run my CO2 at 1,000ppm from Day 1 of Flower until the very minute I harvest my crop (appx. 63 days), at which point the buds will have been given as many days as needed to swell to their fullest potential, is there any negative biological effect?

Cannabis grow Running CO2 until Final Harvest Day.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I ran co2 for the first time last grow
I ran it up to 1200 ppm then after they stopped swelling I cut it to 800
They were fat and hard as rocks. They were the biggest Ive ever seen that strain

ttystikk

ttystikk

I run 1500ppm through week 5, then drop by 400 a week thereafter. I do it that way because I was told to, lol- if there is a better schedule, I'm all ears!

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

If I recall I read somewhere that co2 is only optimal during the onset weeks and the swelling weeks of flower but actually slows down the ripening process the last 2 or 3 weeks of flower because co2 regresses a chemical that makes your plants ripen and finish. I forget what they said the name of the chemical was. Also remember them saying co2 the last few weeks makes your flowers have less flavor and loud smell.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

Ed rosenthal was in town the other day and I can't quote him exactly but it was somewhere along the lines of "if you're not using co2 your simply wasting your electricity"

And on the contrary I believe co2 ripens it faster.

Plants NEED co2.... Try depriving yourself of some shit. Sure youll still grow but you'd be a lot better if you had what you needed!!

Get 20 zips without co2... Potential 32 with...

Is that worth it to you guys?? LOL

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Running CO2 to the end can reduce aroma and flavor in most strains so it's not the best thing to do but not the worst. I run CO2 at 1500ppm till week 6 that back to 800 for week 7 than 400 till done. To get successful results like ^^^^^ you need to make sure you have the six essential elements under control, that I mention below.

waayne

waayne

In my experience running elevated levels of Co2 late in flower delays proper ripening and maturation
It’s important that CO2 levels are lowered to ambient levels during the ripening phase (for example, 400-600). If CO2 levels remain higher at this stage, the buds may get bigger, but they’ll lack the density and intense flavors and colors that we typically desire. This is because carbon dioxide inhibits the plant’s production of ethylene, a naturally occurring hormone that assists in the ripening process.

Aside from CO2, there are several factors that affect time to maturity.
These include the fertilizer and nutrients being used, the intensity of light the plants receive, temperature,photoperiod and lighting regimen.

T

tipper619sd

Love it now i gotta work on getting a tank and controller. Is it good to run co2 in a room not fully sealed? I ask because i have been wanting to run co2 for a while now but always hesitated since my room wasnt fully sealed has a few leaks here and there.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

First a little Plant Science 101 - For a successful, productive garden, hydroponic, indoor and greenhouse growers must control six "essential elements" - air, light, nutrients, water, humidity and temperature. Remove or alter the ratio of only one of these elements, growth will slow, and plants could eventually die. In this article, we will review the air element, specifically carbon dioxide (CO2), it's role in the most vital plant process - photosynthesis - and how to effectively implement CO2 systems.

Photosynthesis begins when stomata, pore-like openings on the undersides of leaves, are activated by light and begin breathing in carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air. This CO2 is broken down into carbon (C) and oxygen (O). Some of the O is used for other plants processes, but most is expelled back into the air. The C is combined with water to form sugar molecules, which are then converted into carbohydrates. These carbohydrates (starches) combine with nutrients, such as nitrogen, to produce new plant tissues. CO2 is vital to plant growth and development, and yet is often the most overlooked element in indoor gardening.

Successful indoor growers implement methods to increase CO2 concentrations in their enclosure. The typical outdoor air we breathe contains 0.03 - 0.045% (300 - 450 ppm) CO2. Research demonstrates that optimum growth and production for most plants occur between 1200 - 1500 ppm CO2. These optimum CO2 levels can boost plant metabolism, growth and yield by 25 - 60%.

Plants under effective CO2 enrichment and management display thicker, lush green leaves, an abundance of fragrant fruit and flowers, and stronger, more vigorous roots. CO2 enriched plants grow rapidly and must also be supplied with the other five "essential elements" to ensure proper development and a plentiful harvest.

Commercially available CO2 generators offer the most economical, practical and consistent method of enriching indoor gardens. Using atmospheric control systems in conjunction with CO2 generators, ensure the most effective production and use of CO2.

Atmospheric control systems with automatic override or defeat, and CO2 monitoring logic, enrich and maintain optimum levels in the environment during the photo (light) periods, when most plants can absorb CO2; and they defeat CO2 production during dark periods. Automating your CO2 enrichment system pays for itself quickly with shorter crop cycles, improved quality and higher yields.

When enriching an indoor garden with CO2, proper light is essential for effective assimilation. For plants to use CO2 efficiently, light spectrum and intensity should be appropriate for the plant species in your garden. Remember - CO2 enriched plants under intensified lighting demand higher levels of nutrients, water, space and room temperatures of 80-85 F. (27 - 29 C.).

As CO2 is a critical component of growth, plants in environments with inadequate CO2 levels - below 200 ppm - will cease to grow or produce. And, growers should be cautious when experimenting with CO2 levels above 2000 ppm. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and will displace the O2 required by both plants and human to function and live. (FYI: OSHA max allowable for human exposure is 5000 PPM). So, air circulation and ventilation is critical to profitable CO2 enrichment.

Plants use all of the CO2 around their leaves within a few minutes leaving the air around them CO2 deficient. Without air circulation and ventilation, the plants' stomata are stifled and plant growth is stunted.

Proper air circulation with oscillating fans and in-line blowers, will eliminate potential stagnation problems and ensure efficient CO2 enrichment.

If you have never enriched your garden with CO2, start with 700 - 900 ppm (double the normal atmospheric levels). If yields improve, increase CO2 enrichment to 1200 - 1500 ppm. If there is no response to the CO2 enrichment, double-check your other five "essential elements" to ensure they are not limiting factors.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Thanks waaayne. Ethylene thats what I was looking for in my head I knew I had read that somewhere in the past. Ive noticed my buds used to get bigger when I ran co2 till the end, but they wouldnt get as tight or be nearly as aromatic or flavorful as when I cut co2 down. Not to mention would take 8 days longer to get my trich's to amber up. Same strain, same room, etc.

shawnskush

shawnskush

No in a completely sealed room you need to reduce co2 to ambient levels during the final weeks (around 600 ppm). Co2 is however essential for your plants so they cannot go very long without it before you see detrimental results

Quantum9

Quantum9

Ed rosenthal was in town the other day and I can't quote him exactly but it was somewhere along the lines of "if you're not using co2 your simply wasting your electricity"

Plants NEED co2.... Try depriving yourself of some shit. Sure youll still grow but you'd be a lot better if you had what you needed!!

Was this on Ed, and I's trip to Durango Organics? What ed said was "if you are not using C02, you are wasting electricity." What he meant was that because c02 can increase your harvest 20-30% across the board (all lights), its more important then adding more light until it is in place. I wish you had said hello, i did not realize that Farmers were attending the event.

To answer the initial question, it depends on your goal. Co2 increase plant growth and production to such a degree that it tends to overshadow the maturation of the plant. If you want to maximize thc content and bud profile then cutting it will help achieve that goal. If, however your interest lies purely in harvest numbers and are less concerned with foxtails, etc then run it till chop.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Was this on Ed, and I's trip to Durango Organics? What ed said was "if you are not using C02, you are wasting electricity." What he meant was that because c02 can increase your harvest 20-30% across the board (all lights), its more important then adding more light until it is in place. I wish you had said hello, i did not realize that Farmers were attending the event.

To answer the initial question, it depends on your goal. Co2 increase plant growth and production to such a degree that it tends to overshadow the maturation of the plant. If you want to maximize thc content and bud profile then cutting it will help achieve that goal. If, however your interest lies purely in harvest numbers and are less concerned with foxtails, etc then run it till chop.

Us Farmers are everywhere, and we're listening...

No need to be paranoid... yet... lol

Amber

Amber

You gotta love Ed for putting it in a language us farmers really understand, you say "wasting electricity" and we all listen.

D

donkeydon

Thanks waaayne. Ethylene thats what I was looking for in my head I knew I had read that somewhere in the past. Ive noticed my buds used to get bigger when I ran co2 till the end, but they wouldnt get as tight or be nearly as aromatic or flavorful as when I cut co2 down. Not to mention would take 8 days longer to get my trich's to amber up. Same strain, same room, etc.
exactly//

DougsNugs

DougsNugs

Definitely cut the CO2 and bring the temps as low as you can during the last 2 weeks. Makes for a nice frost and density. Night time temps around 60 will make for some nice colors as the plants eat up their leaves and flush in plain RO water

Also bring the room humidity as low as possible in these last 2 weeks.. Extra resin is produced for the plant to deal with the dry air

Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom