Running into Defiency after flushing?

• Thread starter Justooo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Justooo

Is this the result of flushing and overwatering?, drowned roots?
Result of flushing yes, whether the roots are drowned I don’t know. I waited until pots were dry and light to water again but I didn’t have a moisture meters to confirm. So it’s possible, a lot of opinions say it’s overwatered.

J

Justooo

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know everything that has been tried. These plants have good recovery capabilities, though, so I would be disinclined to let it go.

I was also thinking it might be too cold or wet. Do you have a soil moisture meter? Those provide better information than lifting the pot, IMO, even though both methods are useful. Another method is to push a small, smooth, sharpened stick, like a small dowel, into the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot to see if the soil clings to it. If it does, the soil is too wet to water.
I tried the stick method but I used straws instead so the soil would collect inside. Soil was dry all the way to the bottom. I stuck in more towards the middle and dry too.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

Here's your problem. When you noticed you were locked out at did what you consider a flush, you just saturated it with salts. Each 5 gallon pot should have gotten 15 gallons of water to completely flush everything out. Then you should have watered with light nutrients and proper ph'd water.

So what you have caused is more lock out, and root rot. You can try watering with some peroxide water, but in my opinion they look to be on the bad side of their life cycle

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Result of flushing yes, whether the roots are drowned I don’t know. I waited until pots were dry and light to water again but I didn’t have a moisture meters to confirm. So it’s possible, a lot of opinions say it’s overwatered.
It's kind of like one leads to the other. What's done is done, no big deal. You've made your adjustments, you should see improvements pretty quickly......

Sunasun

Sunasun

I tried the stick method but I used straws instead so the soil would collect inside. Soil was dry all the way to the bottom. I stuck in more towards the middle and dry too.
Are you watering slowly enough and with enough volume to get full saturation each watering/feeding? Your plant looks under and over watered which leads me to conclude that you are not watering fully to saturation which is causing you to water too frequently,
If you don't get this taken care of and get the roots healthy with a proper dry cycle, the flowering stage is gonna be a shit show.
Let's avoid the shit show.
#noshitshow

A

Alwispy

Justoo, at this point why don’t you just slip one plant out of the pot and have a close look at the roots ? To me your window of recovery is looking pretty slim. I sure would be interested to see what your ec is now at run off..
Just a thought 🤔

J

Justooo

I am scrapping these plants and starting fresh. It’s hurts but oh well, at the stage they we’re in it would have taken a while to recover I’m sure. The flushing definitely made the soil really compact at the base of the root ball and that may have played a part, Idk if it looks like root rot to y’all but here’s some pics. Some roots are more white some have brown tint, hard to distinguish if it’s rot or staining. But like I said, soil was so compact at the base it probably wasn’t getting much oxygen

Last edited:
J

Justooo

Are you watering slowly enough and with enough volume to get full saturation each watering/feeding? Your plant looks under and over watered which leads me to conclude that you are not watering fully to saturation which is causing you to water too frequently,
If you don't get this taken care of and get the roots healthy with a proper dry cycle, the flowering stage is gonna be a shit show.
Let's avoid the shit show.
#noshitshow
After removing the plant from the soil. Soil underneath and towards bottom was dry. But soil was so compacted at base of roots that it was still moist

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
After removing the plant from the soil. Soil underneath and towards bottom was dry. But soil was so compacted at base of roots that it was still moist
ok that was your issue.. i can see by the roots..
not enough airflow underneath the bag, but you got that fixed now..
so the next grow should go smooth..
maybe keep a grow journal here so if something comes up we can spot it right away..

2Bad

2Bad

Honestly this plant is at the point of no return, harvest would just be poor quality. I don’t think it was watering as an issue because I took precautions when watering and waited until it was completely dry to water. I honestly think it was lack of nutrients that starved it to death due to the flushing.

I’m just going to experiment with the sick left plant until it gets better or dies. Probably will transplant my other healthy plant into a 10gal and just finish out from there or just let it be in the 5gal because I’m not trying to buy any soil.
I don't have time to read this thread but it wasn't lack of nutrients.

TSD

TSD

I am scrapping these plants and starting fresh. It’s hurts but oh well, at the stage they we’re in it would have taken a while to recover I’m sure. The flushing definitely made the soil really compact at the base of the root ball and that may have played a part, Idk if it looks like root rot to y’all but here’s some pics. Some roots are more white some have brown tint, hard to distinguish if it’s rot or staining. But like I said, soil was so compact at the base it probably wasn’t getting much oxygen
Looks super dry... definitely need to get watering down for the next go round... I'd chuck em in a bucket of water and see if they have the will to live lol.

J

Justooo

For the next grow, I’ve been looking into growing in coco due to it not compacting as easy, the water process and nutrient process. Any tips or suggestions? Should I use coco plain (specifically cultivation nation 70/30 coco/perlite) or mix it with soil? I’d love to hear y’all’s experience with it as well.

J

Justooo

Ha, maybe she does have the will to live. Let her drink for a while then put in new soil maybe?
Woke up today and this is what it looks like. Even bottom growth has perked up. I would put in new soil but I don’t want to buy soil unless I’m starting fresh. But I’m thinking the soil it was in it is fine, just needs to be mixed up. Thoughts?

Last edited:
A

Alwispy

New soil or bust ! You have just proven that the soil/nutes were the issue as originally stated by CannaGranny when you first asked for help… I certainly wouldn’t use the original soil Unless you are willing to flush the crap out of it and try again. Personally fresh soil would be the best/easiest but I know little… good luck 🤞

J

Justooo

More root photos, these roots are from the left plant which went out first. Roots look and feel way stronger than the right plant even it suffered first. It also had thicker roots towards the bottom. I can’t tell if it’s root rot. But I saw a small white patch of something on one of the roots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom