russet mites

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RPsmoke

That Aloe Vera juice should work just fine. I use the 200x powder to avoid those additives but seen plenty people use that with zero issues. Generally at 1/4 cup a gallon.

An affordable silica option is that AgSil 16h. A powder form, you can mix up your own Protekt for fraction of the price.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
That Aloe Vera juice should work just fine. I use the 200x powder to avoid those additives but seen plenty people use that with zero issues. Generally at 1/4 cup a gallon.

An affordable silica option is that AgSil 16h. A powder form, you can mix up your own Protekt for fraction of the price.
Thanks! and thanks, I just ordered some!

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Just came in from the nursery. What a fuckin nightmare! Sorry for language, but FUCK! I have pinpointed where the problem came from and boy am I angry at myself. :rage: We were gifted some clones a couple months ago. I know. I know. I did isolate them and inspected them with my loop. Never saw a thing except some funny looking leaves that I THOUGHT were over nuted or a lockout issue the grower had. No problem. I can fix this. Famous last words. And then I added them to my mother collection when I was sure they didn't have spider mites. FUCK! :banghead: The smaller garden that was never near the new clones and nursery is clean - for now. All the others that had contact with the nursery housing the new clones have russets. When we were talking about it this morning, we recalled that I didn't like the way a couple of those new clones looked so I tossed them out. The few clones that I still have are totally infested with creepy crawlies. So I'm experimenting on them.

Now for the good news. Since the cavalry did not show up today in my mailbox I started looking through my supplies for something I could start using now. I had a bottle of EcoSmart Garden Insect killer that I bought last year and never used. Here is what is on the label.

"Kills and Repels Garden Insects and Mites
Kills Exposed Eggs, Larvae, and Adult Stages.
Spray and Harvest on Same Day.
Works Fast
Kills by Contact

Now there is an organic insecticide that is safe to use around children and pets and wont’t harm the environment. EcoSMART Organic Garden Insect Killer is made from a patented blend of organic plant oils. It kills bugs fast, without any synthetic toxins or harmful residue. It’s safe. It’s effective. It’s smart. Naturally.

KILLS AND REPELS:
Many common insect garden pests including Aphids, Mites, Thrips, Whiteflies, Beetles, and Caterpillars.

FOR USE ON:
Ornamental Plants, including Flowers, Shrubs, and Small Trees
Garden Fruits and Vegetables including Melons, Berries, and Nut Trees.

Active Ingredients:
Rosemary Oil ……….…. 0.25%
Peppermint Oil ………… 0.25%
Thyme Oil ……..…….…. 0.25%
Clove Oil …………….…. 0.25%
Other Ingredients*……. 99.00%
Total …………..….. 100.00%
*Water, White Mineral Oil, Potassium, Oleate, Lecithins

See label for full details."

I sprayed it on all the mothers and clones in the nursery. After they dried I took several cuttings and looked at them under the microscope. Bugs were not moving. Looked at them an hour later and they still were not moving. I think it killed them. This stuff smells good but so incredibly strong it makes me ill to stay in the room for long after spraying it.

I don't want to use this on the girls outside that are in flower. The label warns not to use it on new tender flower buds or else it will burn them, plus I don't really like the white petroleum in the ingredient list nor the strong smell. Not sure how much that will plug up the surface and taint the flavor. So the protocol outside will remain as I listed earlier. But I wanted to get this on here for peeps who may have this pest in their nurseries or veg rooms and want to use organic methods. I'll update on the progress as I see new developments. Should be easy enough to make your own solution with EOs following the above label percentages if you are interested in going this route. Not saying this is the fix. Just what appears to be working at this juncture in the nursery.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Thank you much @leadsled , I was not aware. I use this product mostly because many years ago I bought a few cases of it and still have some on hand. I will look into the rest of what you said.
I thought it worth noting, that although leadsled said it is harmful to beneficials, I have tons of beneficials around still and I use the grow more n-90 all the time and have for years...FWIW

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thank you much @leadsled , I was not aware. I use this product mostly because many years ago I bought a few cases of it and still have some on hand. I will look into the rest of what you said.
The iso-alcohol is only ingredient that causes caution, the microbes/microscopic elements is what is my primary concern of being effected by iso. Worth checking into.

Thanks Leadsled
And that stuff will be my spreader?
I guess i have been lucky spraying without a proper spreader,
but I read SM90 was one :confused:
I like the idea of adding some silica to make the plants strong.
So I will get that..to use with the essential oils :)
Do I need a spreader with Flying skull nuke em?
The Met52 ec
I could have sworn i read Met52ec had a spreader already in it..but I cant find that [email protected] know you added a spreader..
Will silica help spread the Met52?
silica is used as the emulsifier. use with your weekly neem/essential oil as a foliar spray.

aloe or yucca is the sticker/spreader, best to use aloe without preservatives. that contains preservatices.
lilyofthedesert juice or 200x aloe powder @ 1/4 cup gallon fits the bill as far as preservatives.

AS far as nuke em, read the directions and do what the manufacturer suggests. not familiar with the instructions.
I recall Met52 ec contains oils and was not to be used with a sticker spreader. But do not take my work for it. Please check the instructions to be safe.

I thought it worth noting, that although leadsled said it is harmful to beneficials, I have tons of beneficials around still and I use the grow more n-90 all the time and have for years...FWIW
beneficials is a very broad term. (see above about the sensitive ones) new ones could fly in after you killed the ones present with iso alcohol fwiw

SunGrown

SunGrown

The iso-alcohol is only ingredient that causes caution, the microbes/microscopic elements is what is my primary concern of being effected by iso. Worth checking into.

silica is used as the emulsifier. use with your weekly neem/essential oil as a foliar spray.

aloe or yucca is the sticker/spreader, best to use aloe without preservatives. that contains preservatices.
lilyofthedesert juice or 200x aloe powder @ 1/4 cup gallon fits the bill as far as preservatives.

AS far as nuke em, read the directions and do what the manufacturer suggests. not familiar with the instructions.
I recall Met52 ec contains oils and was not to be used with a sticker spreader. But do not take my work for it. Please check the instructions to be safe.

beneficials is a very broad term. (see above about the sensitive ones) new ones could fly in after you killed the ones present with iso alcohol fwiw
ok, cool, thanks again for the info and I will absolutely research all you have said here. Much appreciation for the time to help!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Met52ec

SunGrown

SunGrown

when I received a reply to an email I sent them they told me that a spreader should be fine, and in the instructions it does say to use a wetting agent, I know not the same as a spreader, but similar. However the reply did not reply to my specific question of n-90, so I plan to call tomorrow

Add silicone based wetting agent to the spray tank. Contact Novozymes for list of tested wetting agents. Novozymes recommends with all wetting agent additions to Met52 EC that precautionary phyto testing is done on target crop prior to large scale spraying.

I agree the iso alc. is a concern, but at the dilution used I have no clue what the ppm is of the iso...yet

Freshies

Freshies

I believe I have russet mites as well, just discovered and I bels early on since only a few small sections have been effected. Ken and Sungrown have been on my thread with advice and I'm taking it. Just wanted to follow this thread as well.

Today I sprayed with azamax. Did a good coat waited 30 minutes and did another. Also sprayed the smart pots and ground around them. I'm also outdoors. I plan on hitting them with another brand or two for the nexts few weeks.

Let's work together and get rid of these shits.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
A perfect example of "organic" labeling foolery. It's not organic. The aloe may be, but the additives/preservatives are crap.

But since you are using lots of different chemicals anyway I don't think it'll matter too much.
Citric acid and potassium sorbate are both in the OMRI listed Nuke em product i just bought..
Citric acid is the active ingredient :confused:
:facepalm:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
@CannaCrone and @Freshies
Sorry to hear you guys have them too! :mad:
Active Ingredients:
Rosemary Oil ……….…. 0.25%
Peppermint Oil ………… 0.25%
Thyme Oil ……..…….…. 0.25%
Clove Oil …………….…. 0.25%
Other Ingredients*……. 99.00%
Total …………..….. 100.00%
*Water, White Mineral Oil, Potassium, Oleate, Lecithins

Sounds like good stuff! I Know that's probably a lot like Aligee's recipe
I didnt know those oils could burn new flowers though.:eek:.
thanks for that tip too!

I was floored when I found out I had em:dead:
I didnt want to take any chances. I needed to make sure I killed them and make sure they didnt come back later on..
I read organics wasnt going to work..I panicked :nailbiting: and came out swinging
Fight or flight reaction..:p

Last edited:
SunGrown

SunGrown

Citric acid and potassium sorbate are both in the OMRI listed Nuke em product i just bought..
The more a person learns about organic products, the more a person learns a good bit of it is hype.
Doesn't mean it is bad, or that it will not work though!

I have read many good things about the nuke em so I would not worry. It is probably like mighty wash and has something else in it that they won't tell you due to "Trade secrets" so the msds does not have to include all the ingredients

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
The more a person learns about organic products, the more a person learns a good bit of it is hype.
Doesn't mean it is bad, or that it will not work though!

I have read many good things about the nuke em so I would not worry. It is probably like mighty wash and has something else in it that they won't tell you due to "Trade secrets" so the msds does not have to include all the ingredients
yeah I hear ya..
I always wonder when i read the ingredients if I could make it myself...
But yeah...there has to be more to it than whats listed..

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

I just bought a gallon. :oops: Fool me once... I found the same thing with LemiWash (or something like that) for coffee makers and dishwashers. It's just expensive citric acid in a nice plastic container. I buy citric acid by the 5 lb bag now at the garden supply and use it for lots of things and it's cheap.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I just bought a gallon. :oops: Fool me once... I found the same thing with LemiWash (or something like that) for coffee makers and dishwashers. It's just expensive citric acid in a nice plastic container. I buy citric acid by the 5 lb bag now at the garden supply and use it for lots of things and it's cheap.
:) I bought a jar of it to ph down my water..still have most of it.
It says its a sprouting agent..I guess it keeps mold from growing? idk.
But yeah, lots of uses :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom