?'S: Watering, Regulating Temp, and LST

• Thread starter MissGreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MissGreen

Questions:
I grow hydro indoors and am three weeks into veg from the date of transplanting my clones. I have some questions hopefully you guys can help me with :)

1) Drywall cubes are still pretty heavy two days after flood watering with my reservoir, but sm hydro cubes seem pretty dry... Should I be hand watering along with reservoir watering (probably every three days using res)?

2) Now that I'm using 3 lights (2 @ 400w, 1 @ 600w) temp is ranging from 68-87 (avg ~ 85 w lights on), should I bring out the second fan?

3) just topped all (except weak/sm ones) today, what do u think about doing LST? This is with eventually having 25 mature plants per light.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If those cubes are really drywall, I am already impressed with your growing skills! The only thing I can grow on my drywall is mold... lol

1. Rockwool cubes, big or small, should be watered and then allowed to get pretty light before watering again. This is due to the design, meant to wick water in quickly, and then pull air in as it's absorbed by the plant. Smaller cubes will dry faster, just due to dry air.

2. If your temps climb past 80 in veg, I would run the fan. Obviously, cannabis can stand higher temps, but it isn't the best environment for quality growth.

3. If you topped, it's too late for lst. You can bend branches down later in the same style, so you haven't lost anything.

M

MissGreen

If those cubes are really drywall, I am already impressed with your growing skills! The only thing I can grow on my drywall is mold... lol

1. Rockwool cubes, big or small, should be watered and then allowed to get pretty light before watering again. This is due to the design, meant to wick water in quickly, and then pull air in as it's absorbed by the plant. Smaller cubes will dry faster, just due to dry air.

2. If your temps climb past 80 in veg, I would run the fan. Obviously, cannabis can stand higher temps, but it isn't the best environment for quality growth.

3. If you topped, it's too late for lst. You can bend branches down later in the same style, so you haven't lost anything.

First off, thanks because they are drywall, lol! Secondly, thank you for your response :)
So I get how they work an that the small 1x1 cubes dry out faster: does that mean I should hand water those to keep moist between waterings??

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yes, you'll need to water the small ones more often, likely more than the big ones.

P

paulycali

Yes bring in another exhaust fan. You'll need it as summer is rounding the bend

Topping and LST combined are the way to go. Lots of work but you'll for sure get an increase in yield and some nice hearty ladies

How long are you flooding your tray for and how many times per day?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

25 plants under each light is an awful lot for the light you have? Dry wall where did you pick that up? I have my doubts about that working out for you. Dry wall is made from gypsum plaster, Gypsum itself is made out of the chemical calcium sulfate, so your going to OD your plants at some point or have lock up due to the high sulfur and calcium content. When it dry's out it will crush your roots, but the up side of that is gypsum takes forever to dry out... I would love to hear how you came about growing in gypsum?

M

MissGreen

25 plants under each light is an awful lot for the light you have? Dry wall where did you pick that up? I have my doubts about that working out for you. Dry wall is made from gypsum plaster, Gypsum itself is made out of the chemical calcium sulfate, so your going to OD your plants at some point or have lock up due to the high sulfur and calcium content. When it dry's out it will crush your roots, but the up side of that is gypsum takes forever to dry out... I would love to hear how you came about growing in gypsum?
A friend of mine help me set up everything and is now gone! I have another post right now... :(

ttystikk

ttystikk

Wait a minute here... 'drywall' and 'rockwool'? Is it possible there's just a mismatch of terms?

If the dry material looks like it's made of tiny fiberglass strands, possibly in a block, perhaps with plastic around it, that's 'rockwool', a common enough growing medium for hydroponics.

Drywall looks, smells, tastes and even smears a lot like chalk. It's the white crumbly stuff between layers of cardboard to make sheetrock, the big thin sheets used to make the walls in your home. When wet it does become a muddy gooey paste and I can't imagine using it by itself as a substrate.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

A friend of mine help me set up everything and is now gone! I have another post right now... :(

Well we are here to help so what can we do? Post a pix if you have it. Must be Rockwool?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't see drywall holding together for longer than 4, maybe 5 waterings. It has to be rockwool, just has to!

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Questions:
I grow hydro indoors and am three weeks into veg from the date of transplanting my clones. I have some questions hopefully you guys can help me with :)

1) :eek: Drywall cubes :arghh: are still pretty heavy two days after flood watering with my reservoir, but sm hydro cubes seem pretty dry... Should I be hand watering along with reservoir watering (probably every three days using res)?

2) Now that I'm using 3 lights (2 @ 400w, 1 @ 600w) temp is ranging from 68-87 (avg ~ 85 w lights on), should I bring out the second fan?

3) just topped all (except weak/sm ones) today, what do u think about doing LST? This is with eventually having 25 mature plants per light.

:bawling: Don't leave use hanging???? :D

M

MissGreen

Yes bring in another exhaust fan. You'll need it as summer is rounding the bend

Topping and LST combined are the way to go. Lots of work but you'll for sure get an increase in yield and some nice hearty ladies

How long are you flooding your tray for and how many times per day?
I flood for about 10 minutes every three days or so. Hand watering in-between. And my bad, they are rockwall not drywall! Lol.

M

MissGreen

I flood for about 10 minutes every three days or so. Hand watering in-between. And my bad, they are rockwall not drywall! Lol.
I put on another fan in the room, trying to find an inline booster fan to increase the airflow in there! It has been very warm here! Temp in the room tends to stay around 80, and the humidity around 50%. Plants seem pretty happy over-all. I'm fine tuning everything pretty much. Fun stuff! :)
I'm sorry about not replying sooner, I don't have Internet at my place, so I sparingly use my phone's Internet.

M

MissGreen

The confusion was I'm using drywall 1x1 cubes for the clones and those were transplanted into the Grodan Rockwool 4x4 cubes

L

larebowm

can you show a pic or post a link to these 1" drywall cubes

Top Bottom