Sad plant

• Thread starter Ginger farm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ginger farm

Ginger farm

Hi all I’m new to growing. my plant is 12 days old. It was going well the plant was happy and looked good. Could do with more light but am just growing it on a window, when it’s sunny and hot outside I put it on the outside ledge for more light. But within the past two days the plant has shit the bed and started to die. I assumed it was overwatering so I changed the soil and put a little big of water literally nothing just to dampen the surface. The first picture is from two days ago and the second is today.

Sad plant
Sad plant 2
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You need more light, as the plant has stretched an awful lot for 14 days old. What are you growing in? If the roots can't easily penetrate it, the plant won't grow as well or quickly. The plants need to have full sun as much as they can get... sitting on a window sill might seem like enough for house plants, but if you want to grow it well, it needs a LOT of light. It also need nutrients/fertilizer and water, but those go without saying.
Once your roots come out the bottom, they are pretty well developed and I water as needed. With small pots like you are using, they will dry out very quickly. I know a lot of advice is to NOT water, but that is mostly when starting a plat out. Just keep the soil damp, not wet. Yard dirt is not a good thing to grow in... there are a lot of other mediums that will work much better... even a bag of quality potting soil works great. Hope some of this helps!

Ginger farm

Ginger farm

You need more light, as the plant has stretched an awful lot for 14 days old. What are you growing in? If the roots can't easily penetrate it, the plant won't grow as well or quickly. The plants need to have full sun as much as they can get... sitting on a window sill might seem like enough for house plants, but if you want to grow it well, it needs a LOT of light. It also need nutrients/fertilizer and water, but those go without saying.
Once your roots come out the bottom, they are pretty well developed and I water as needed. With small pots like you are using, they will dry out very quickly. I know a lot of advice is to NOT water, but that is mostly when starting a plat out. Just keep the soil damp, not wet. Yard dirt is not a good thing to grow in... there are a lot of other mediums that will work much better... even a bag of quality potting soil works great. Hope some of this helps!
I have a small light on the way to assist it. But I have always known there is not enough light for it. Is there anything that would fix it?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The only thing that will fix it is probably more light. If you could put it outside somewhere that gets full sun daily, it should grow like a monster. It's amazing how much light they enjoy, but the newer LED lights are pretty good for growing... they don't take as much electric, run cooler, and give good results. A improved potting mix might help as well, but primarily, it needs a lot of high intensity light.

Ginger farm

Ginger farm

Looks to me that your soil doesn’t have enough aeration as well. I cut my seedling soil with about 25% perlite and they love it.
This plant is not a happy chappy. It’s gotten worse within the last couple of hours. I think it might be mean n it’s way out. I don’t know what to do to save it

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Window plants stretch and don’t have enough support that
This plant is not a happy chappy. It’s gotten worse within the last couple of hours. I think it might be mean n it’s way out. I don’t know what to do to save it
more light, get something to help prop it up. But any Canabis plant growen in a window in going to stretch extremely hard. Try to get something to tie it too not too hard just enough to give it some strength that’s about all you can do and hope it lives

Ginger farm

Ginger farm

Window plants stretch and don’t have enough support that

more light, get something to help prop it up. But any Canabis plant growen in a window in going to stretch extremely hard. Try to get something to tie it too not too hard just enough to give it some strength that’s about all you can do and hope it lives
It’s got a paper clip holding it up. Which seems to support it but just seems to be dying looks like gonna have to have another fresh start :( I’ll wait and see first tho

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

It was water over watered so I re potted it
In the language of my people of sunny so cal, SI. We over mother our plants. I've popped and grown weed in a pot with my crap clay soil and they did okay, as long as I didn't over water or over fertilize. Save that baby.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Things aren't looking good. The green color appears to have lightened even more. When did you start putting it into the sun outside? Plants can get sunburned pretty badly if transferred into full sun for an afternoon unless acclimatized to it a little. The leaves usually turn brown and die fairly quickly, but new growth should be OK. I'm not saying that this is the problem, it might be part of it though. It seems you have a couple of different problems that might be working against you. At this point, you have done as much as you probably can until it recovers or gives up it's time on Earth. Hope for the best, and give it light!

Ginger farm

Ginger farm

Things aren't looking good. The green color appears to have lightened even more. When did you start putting it into the sun outside? Plants can get sunburned pretty badly if transferred into full sun for an afternoon unless acclimatized to it a little. The leaves usually turn brown and die fairly quickly, but new growth should be OK. I'm not saying that this is the problem, it might be part of it though. It seems you have a couple of different problems that might be working against you. At this point, you have done as much as you probably can until it recovers or gives up it's time on Earth. Hope for the best, and give it light!
The sun light in my country is pretty erratic like yesterday it went from sunny to full on thunder and lighting and heavy rain to being sunny again 😂. It’s been in the sun it’s whole life. The bottom two sprout leaves have shrivelled and look dead the top two look like they are on their way out too. Thank you for your help tho you’ve been brilliant :)

Ginger farm

Ginger farm

it has now got light but idk if it is too late they are 60w

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
it has now got light but idk if it is too late they are 60w
It looks pretty bad for your little green friend, unfortunately. So that his passing isn't for vain, now might be a time to get few items together to keep this from happening again. A 60 watt light isn't going to help too much...but every little bit helps and 2 of them are much better than nothing. With the immanent passing, I would go out and get a bag of good, quality potting soil, like Miracle Grow or another name brand with a good reputation. I use Promix, but just about any quality growing medium that won't get hard (like yard or garden soil tends to do after a while) and has good drainage. I'd get a bigger pot to grow it in, since the last one was sort of small...the more root area they have, the better/faster they will grow. Pop a seed or find a clone and put it in the new pot, watering it prior to planting and once again, lightly, once in the ground. Stay on top of the water because small pots dry out quickly and can cause problems with young plants. I can't recommend how much or often to water using the LEDs that you have, since I don't know how quickly they will dry out. You don't want the medium to be dry, but not soaked, either. Damp is best.
Sorry for the rant. I just don't want to see you fail again when it is actually pretty easy to have a good grow as long as you have a good growing medium, plenty of light (maybe most important), water, and regular $10 fertilizer/nutes. The hardest thing is leaving them alone and having patience. It's like watching paint dry, but patience will reward you well if you don't try to overthink the grow. I learned 35 + years ago, using a 1000w Metal Halide light, Promix, 6 gallon buckets, and generic fertilizer. I stuck with the recipe and have never had a problem since, other than bugs or issues that I created. I guess it can be like playing golf... the more you think about it, the worse you perform. Just letting things go will reward you in the end. It can be super simple or it can be complex depending on what and how you grow it. Start easy and simple. If you need help, I'm more than happy to teach you what I know.

Top Bottom