sad roots

• Thread starter kuz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I run OG in my UC so I don't always get the fattest stalks or biggest buds. Next couple runs I will be going back to a heavy hitter in my UC and we shall see. I'm sure I wont get far off CS feeding chart, maybe 100ppms higher than chart gives. I see way more drinking by the plants at a low ec. I know Bens thread well as I was hooked on it when I got going in the UC. I also ran my ppms up to 1500, water came out at 200, and KILLED IT, NYCD, but now that I know what I'm looking for I know I was overfeeding my girls and I only wonder what that pull would of been like if we were running a lower ec. I have got some pretty fat og stalks topping out at 800... Sorry for the copy my computer tripped out..
Downloadfile 2

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

holy shit! enough said. you ever tried venturi injectors instead of airstones? i switched everything around this run and i know there doing just as good so far, and no noisy air pumps

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

holy shit! enough said. you ever tried venturi injectors instead of airstones? i switched everything around this run and i know there doing just as good so far, and no noisy air pumps
I have been very interested in using those but have never pulled the trigger on them. How many do you run in your system. I have been asking about them and if you could just have one in your epi? I have been thinking of replacing the diffuser with one, seeing I don't run it in my epi anyways.. Do you have any pics of it doing its thing? We can jump over to my thread so we don't jack his up, and I would love to have your thoughts on them on the thread in case I want to refer to them..

Papa

Papa

Supporter
kuz, i'll take just one more stab at helping you here.

from my perspective, you seem to be completely hung up on running a high level of nutrient solution from the beginning of your grow throughout . . . . even when the plants are showing tremendous stress from doing this. for some reason beyond my understanding, you seem to believe that this is "conventional wisdom" in dwc.

you refer to ben's grows (and your own previous success) as support of your actions. having not seen your previous grows, i can't respond to your experience. but i can respond to the example of ben's grows that you direct our attention to.

as a whole, ben's grow diaries do not provide the level of information regarding nutrients that make them ideal examples. the diaries are flush with good information regarding his environments, especially bells and whistles . . . . . but it would have been more helpful to others if he had provided weekly EC readings along with his pics. he did not. perhaps you saw his peak TDS and interpreted that to mean that it should be the nute level throughout the grow, from beginning to end?

there are other diaries of UC systems on the farm which provide better nutrient information that i urge you to study. some of them are stickies in this section.

ben dropped only a bit of information regarding nutrient levels, which i can only assume that you either misinterpreted and/or misapplied. here's what he says in his first diary (House & Garden Nutes., Under Current Systems, 30,000 Watts, 10 Tons of A/C, Co2) when advising another grower about introducing his plants into the UC system:
"Another thing to consider is your EC or ppm (which ever you use). Your EC should be around .5 which is between 250 to 350 ppm considering the calibration of your meter."

this advice is consistent with what CC recommends. i have no idea why you insist that this is not "conventional wisdom."

did you look at the link that ucmenow provided? if you did, you noticed that by week six or so of flower, the nutrient levels advised are much higher, slowly building from the levels that you begin with. the peak levels that CC currently recommends are significantly lower than the levels recommended a few years ago. i have one of their earlier charts that peaks at EC2.0 in week five. but it too recommends introducing and establishing the plants roots at an EC of .5.

if i have missed the successful grow diary that shows that nutrient levels of 1,700 ppm in the second week of vegging in the UC system are better, please direct me to that example. if i have missed the post where ben advises the same, please direct me to it.

all4 very eloquently explained the importance of this issue. yes, you have other bad things going on with bugs and H2O temps, and losing/not reading instructions, etc. . . . . . but the largest issue your plants have, and the primary reason your roots are not showing the growth the UC system is known for, is the fact that you hit them with a radically out-of-line nutrient strength right out of the gate.

peace and good luck.

K

kuz

Papa

Now I am convinced you are only seeing what you want to see. I went back through bens thread and posted the info here expressed as ec. here it is.

I just went back through his thread, started veg around ec.7 until the roots "settled in" then up to ec 1 and was up to 1.6 by week three. Started flower 1.3 and was up to 3 by week three. I probably started off to high and went up too high too fast.

What exactly he meant by "until the roots settle" i'm not sure. But he spells it out later. 350 through day 7, 500 ppm though day 15, 800 ppm through day 24. He vegged for a month and he never changed the res. He was at 1600 ppm by week 3 of flower.

He followed the dm chart. I took the guaranteed analysis off the labels put them in a program and figured out what that meant in ppm for each nutrient. If i saw someone doing really good I paid close attention to the nutes. I must have followed 10 different grow threads back then. The ppm of each mineral was all over the place, the only thing they had in common was pushing the nutes to 2.5 or 3 ec.

I have diluted the nutes. I dont know what the ec is, the meter is not accurate, have some new calibration fluid on the way. I do think running the nutes too hot is a part of my problem, been running ebb and flo and i have been using the nute that were working for that instead of my older dwc formulas.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink or so they say.

In nutrient solution that's concentration is too high, excess mineral salts hinder the uptake of water, which subsequently contains the minerals the plants need. Certainly you can see the issue with this.

The water circulation and aeration increases nutrient uptake efficiency which necessitates a lower solution strength be used, typically 1/2 strength of what you'd use in other hydro methods such as ebb n flow.

Instead of following threads, simply follow the recommendations of the creators of the system you're using. It's ultimately what Ben did what got him thru his first runs in the system.

Since the 3 plus years ago of that thread this UC technique has been refined with the realization that less is more with regard to the nutrients in water culture. You can be certain if Ben were still at it he would be using far less nute and getting more return gram per watt.

You seem like a logical fella, seems it makes sense to use updated information to maximize your output and minimize input costs.

Everyone genuinely wants to see you succeed, but it's up to you to implement the methods that work best.

I'll leave you alone and save you anymore unwanted insight, but you'd do well to call Current Culture and get their opinion on the matter.

ri420patient

ri420patient

Read there nutrient schedule u will definitely learn something it's been pretty easy going and only going by what they say and adding a few other boosters

ken dog

ken dog

super aerated water needs a quarter of the nutrients as regular water.

live and learn it... then apply it

Capfan

Capfan

Shoot i just gave 2 strains 400 ppms, and showed signs of Nitrogen Toxicity , seems like 350 is my sweet spot, shoot i can take a pic aswell, plants are about 6 ft!

Top Bottom