SAFETY thread....please share!

• Thread starter Mississip Hip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I want to start a thread to discuss safety as it relates to MMJ growers, indoor guys and outdoors.

There are quite a few aspects to talk about. I was hoping that we could all share what our habits are to maybe help out the next man....especially help the new man, to the joys of medical gardening and producing safe, pesticide free flowers.

I really dont want to see it digress to an organic vs non-organic debate. :confused:

What works for you?!.....and thanks for sharing, farmers.

I will start with a few of my spraying safety items.

1)for foliar: -dust mask
- clear face shield
-long shank rubber gloves
-manufacturer recommendations for clothing, depending on product I am using

2)shades in the growroom. I think dankworth said walmart had the cheapest throw away's, he was correct!

3)long sleeves when under HPS lighting.

4)sunhat.

I hope this helps somebody....I learned about the face shield the hard way....with a face full of neem and organicide from a faulty sprayer. sweet, huh.......I almost threw up. neem oil in the grill is really fucked up.

peace

reeldrag

reeldrag

face shield is a great idea I have a good friend that got a face full of 35% h202 he was super lucky that he was standing right next to a hose so he ended up with minor burns but it could have went much much worse. The big thing for me always be on the look out for anything thats just not right I keep everything on the super DL I don't speak openly about what I do with people. I dont smoke fatties when everyone else is dry I keep my house and work area very clean I don't leave pots sitting around empty bags of pro mix nute bottles ect. I always assume everyone is after me I am always on high alert, block any holes where light is leaking, run filters even in a country setting cuz you never know when someone will show up on your door step I. E. tax man, phone company, someone who is lost looking for directions, more people get caught because of dumb ass stupid shit. If I was in a non med state I would never go to hydro shop in my car ever!!!! Watch what you say and text on cell phones!!!! Follow all directions on any chemicals you are useing dont start playing mad scientist and making your own super nukem to hell bug killers. Last but not lest KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!! and as M HIP stated above wear your PPE at all times. Follow these simple rules and for the most part youll b ok

putembk

putembk

Don't think it doesn't stink cause it does. It is easy to get so used to the smell of your garden that you actually don't smell yourself. I catch myself going outside and talking to neighbors right after working in my garden. I don't smell a thing on myself but others do. Some of my friends call me Mr Skunk. Imagine that!! I am left wondering how many have wondered what type of deodorant I am using. (if any) I know my next door neighbor has his suspicions but I never say anything especially when he brings up the subject of his wild college days.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Alright, I am about health safety.

Lamps. Replace them when due. Digi 6mos. Caps 12-18mos. Reason, the UV sheild that stop the harmful rays get warn out. We like to have eyes and no skin problems down the road. Also check into grow sunglasses to correct the HPS light!

Co2 Burners. only 99% of a Blue flam gos to h20 and co2. Yellow flames are not burning clean. It creates a danger from the toxic compounds that emerge from the flames, which are harmful to plants and humans and can even be fatal. The main toxic gases from incomplete combustion are carbon monoxide (CO), ethylene (C2H4), sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen monoxide and nitrogen dioxide (NO and NO2) and propylene (C3H6). Their effects on plants and humans are numerous, but here are the main ones. You can buy monitors to check for all those harmful gases but they are costly. The fix is having a Dump active air exchange when lights are off or at less every few days to get all those bad gasses OUT!

Power. #1 is to not over load ANYTHING 75%, 80% get the out side warm and most likely wanting to melt all ready on you. We are dealing with water. Place those power cords, power strips, any thing that deals with power above hip height.

Last but least. One most people should check. Pool liners and making a big bowl in case anything want to make a flood or leak while your gone.

ok no more from this person. Those are Few off hand that make thing safer for you to be gardening!

Fail shut offs! There are all kind, High temp shut off for Burners and Lights. to 15min delays to let things take a break before being used again. Floats that are electronic or not to run pumps, even to auto top off water tanks. Leak detectors or in floor sump pumps to help with anything that may flood always help.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

:) AWESOME advice here!!!

Thanks for sharing homies.....:) ...you never know when a secret you share may help a brother out.

fractal

fractal

Never unplug the lamp cord from the ballast when ballast is running! For some reason I did that when I saw my first grow light 10 years ago. And pond liners are worth their weight in gold, but only cost $1 per square foot so buy one.

ttystikk

ttystikk

A little more detail; it turns out the second most likely way your grow will be discovered (after #1, domestic violence?! Seriously.) is after you have a fire. I spoke with firefighters about this, and they confirmed that faulty and improper wiring was to blame almost every time.

6 gauge wiring is good for 55 amps
8 gauge is good for 40 amps
10 gauge handles up to 30 amps
12 gauge runs 20 amps
14 gauge runs 15 amps

Best way to start a fire? Change the breaker to one that's too high for the wiring in the circuit. Circuit overloads and now the resistor is the wiring itself, rather than the spring in the breaker... and you get to watch your crop get smoked while you go away in matching bracelets. Not fun.

jkbeing

jkbeing

Best way to start a fire? Change the breaker to one that's too high for the wiring in the circuit. Circuit overloads and now the resistor is the wiring itself, rather than the spring in the breaker... and you get to watch your crop get smoked while you go away in matching bracelets. Not fun.
So true, especially in older homes.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Room within a room so you can srub leaks from your sealed room... Also a sub pannel that way overloads pop the breaker on the sub panel and fire extinguisher both manual and automatic.

reeldrag

reeldrag

also a great way to transport in a vehicle is in those water containers (like the ones coleman makes for camping)that have the screw on tops they make them in one gallon size and it holds 8 ozs easy and i mean no smell whats so ever in the car.

reeldrag

reeldrag

Here's what happens when u get in a hurry break your own safety rules H2O2. 35% on bare skin luckily had a bucket of water close by was only on my skin for maybe 10 seconds before rinse pic was hr later

reeldrag

reeldrag

IMAG0468

reeldrag

reeldrag

Not a big deal but just goes to show what one drop a small drop of something can do when in a person rushes and forgets basic safety rules

F

FISH4250

When you get around (under your lights lift them up) when your feeding ,pruning,foliar feeding ect......ok you will eventually bump it okay

Top Bottom