Salt For Ever In Coco?

• Thread starter brianneil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why not just buy preflushed & pH buffered?
You can reuse coco forever i dont understand.the cost.effective debate
I'm one of those cheap-ass bitches (hubby's cc statements love me). So my question is this--if you can buy it preflushed and buffered, why can't you achieve those same results yourself? I recall someone mentioning that location coconuts were grown in may make a difference in total salt content, so it begs a few questions.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
This is an interesting topic as i use bricks of coir for my worm bedding, and worms fyi DO NOT like salt, much like slugs ( tho not as gruesome ) Will die , salt will dry a worm out like a mofo.. And ive yet to kill any worms THAT way anyway.. did freeze a few but thats another story...

Thats a good question im going to ask the guy @ the hydro shop next time i need another brick if he knows anything about salt in coir. It would make sense there would be, but it would also make sense the coir is rinsed and compressed before selling, Least one would think as most use it for growing no one wants a soil ladened with salt deposits.

Good topic :D

B

brimck325

When the coco is being processed it is washed to remove salt, but when water is scarce (dry season) they use sea water.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
So i actually took a look at the coir i buy today, forgot i had a brick left.. I'l let ya read the package :D

DSCN0228

gymshoes

gymshoes

I recently bought some Botanicare bricks and started about 45 seeds.
The seedlings were pitiful: stunted and necrotic.
I figgered the coco was salty. I'll never try it again.
I'm going back to using Promix w/myco. It's cheap, too.

Maybe I will try a small run with that Organics pre-flushed coco...

Stalks

Stalks

Yeah I don't like seeds in coco but throw some clones in that shit fed 4-6 times a day and you will have those bitches praying

gymshoes

gymshoes

Yeah I don't like seeds in coco but throw some clones in that shit fed 4-6 times a day and you will have those bitches praying
What brand coco you use? Ever have salt problems? You say coco is great for cuts? I have tried many times to transplant rooted cuts into coco and it has been the kiss of death!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I recently bought some Botanicare bricks and started about 45 seeds.
The seedlings were pitiful: stunted and necrotic.
I figgered the coco was salty. I'll never try it again.
I'm going back to using Promix w/myco. It's cheap, too.

Maybe I will try a small run with that Organics pre-flushed coco...

Htg Supply carries it, if theres a store down there, they got dozen or so shops around michigan :D

Stalks

Stalks

Take cuts in Rockwoll transplant to canna coco straight from bag water and give wet dry cycles until you establish a good root system and hit em with the multi feed and fuck the club up.

Some may disagree but this works

3G Labs

3G Labs

So much fun wit coco, but seriously I soak a brick for 24 hrs and pot clones the next day I've never run into an issue. And my bricks so cheap, they don't even have labels

brianneil

brianneil

So much fun wit coco, but seriously I soak a brick for 24 hrs and pot clones the next day I've never run into an issue. And my bricks so cheap, they don't even have labels
What brand are they?

anto

anto

When the coco is being processed it is washed to remove salt, but when water is scarce (dry season) they use sea water.
Does this mean different batches of coco WITHIN the same product brand could have wildly varying salt levels depending on what time of year it was produced???

xavier7995

xavier7995

Botanicare coco is one of the worst I've tried. I do all my cloning in coco now (Cyco coco peat).
I have the cyco peat mix growing and then some "palms" brand of loose coir, been liking them quite a bit. Both are real similar in quality/texture and end results, both are the prewashed/buffered etc kinds that you can just dump in a pot and roll with. I am sort of dreading doing a full out flush once I harvest.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I have the cyco peat mix growing and then some "palms" brand of loose coir, been liking them quite a bit. Both are real similar in quality/texture and end results, both are the prewashed/buffered etc kinds that you can just dump in a pot and roll with. I am sort of dreading doing a full out flush once I harvest.
Still figuring my way out here and not sure how to edit a post, but I double checked my notes and the "palms" brand i mentioned was actually the nutrifield brand loose coco.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Are you talking about flushing before harvest or are you planning to re=use the coco and flushing the medium after

Latest posts

Top Bottom