Satori & Cheese In Roots Organics Under 2x 300w Led

• Thread starter AlaskaJeff
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Minitiger

Minitiger

Just outta curiosity, why are you spraying your plants? And what are you spraying them with? Just plain water? Are you doing this right before lights off? I know that you're kinda supposed to foliar at a time when the plants won't get burned, but all your plants look healthy and, uh, not burned. But yeah, just wondering why you're doing that.

And I love Satori, it is a very nice strain. Got a little jar of it in my cupboard as we speak.

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

Just outta curiosity, why are you spraying your plants? And what are you spraying them with? Just plain water? Are you doing this right before lights off? I know that you're kinda supposed to foliar at a time when the plants won't get burned, but all your plants look healthy and, uh, not burned. But yeah, just wondering why you're doing that.

And I love Satori, it is a very nice strain. Got a little jar of it in my cupboard as we speak.
Just out of curiosity, why are you asking? I perceive from your line of questioning that you believe I should not be spraying them? Perhaps you could start from that next time.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Just out of curiosity, why are you asking? I perceive from your line of questioning that you believe I should not be spraying them? Perhaps you could start from that next time.

No, I'm just curious why. Believe me, if I thought you shouldn't be doing it, I'd say,"I don't think you should be spraying your plants," haha. I'm here to learn, just like everybody else (or almost everybody else haha). If I see somebody doing something that I've never done or wouldn't think of doing, I ask what and why. Cuz if it helps my babies, then maybe I'll start doing it, too, ya know?

So yeah, are you spraying them just to kind of replicate outdoor conditions? Kinda like a "morning dew"-type of thing? Or are you foliaring them with something? Is it plain water? Just wondering.

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

No, I'm just curious why. Believe me, if I thought you shouldn't be doing it, I'd say,"I don't think you should be spraying your plants," haha. I'm here to learn, just like everybody else (or almost everybody else haha). If I see somebody doing something that I've never done or wouldn't think of doing, I ask what and why. Cuz if it helps my babies, then maybe I'll start doing it, too, ya know?

So yeah, are you spraying them just to kind of replicate outdoor conditions? Kinda like a "morning dew"-type of thing? Or are you foliaring them with something? Is it plain water? Just wondering.

No worries and thank you for the generous explanation.
I just use straight tap water, which for us is well with good mid-6 ph and low mineral content. I do it just simply as another way to get humidity levels up. I too have absolutely no idea as to whether it "helps" the plants in any way :) it's just me intuitively and impulsively doing it. I'm a bit freaked with my low humidity, so anything helps, right? Maybe.
Cheers!

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

Day 18 notes: Ea. plant received ~32oz water and all looked very healthy and vital. Ea. plant did spend a fair amount of time (1-2min accumulated time) outside of the closet, but still "saw" the lights. Well another day and another modification/addition to the grow closet. Today's mod was to install a wood cover over the tables and effectively seal up the bottom 12" of the closet leaving an opening on the left side to allow air to circulate up from the outside air fed "environmental control unit" or ECU, which is equipped with heretofore installed "heat exchanger" blah, blah, blah. Pics are million words and leave many more questions. Following are Cheese 1-2 followed by Satori 4-7 and then grow closet pics. Enjoy!

CIMG2522
CIMG2523
CIMG2524
CIMG2525
CIMG2526
CIMG2527
CIMG2528
CIMG2529
Minitiger

Minitiger

No worries and thank you for the generous explanation.
I just use straight tap water, which for us is well with good mid-6 ph and low mineral content. I do it just simply as another way to get humidity levels up. I too have absolutely no idea as to whether it "helps" the plants in any way :) it's just me intuitively and impulsively doing it. I'm a bit freaked with my low humidity, so anything helps, right? Maybe.
Cheers!

That's cool, I was super-freaked about my low humidity levels my first grow, too. This time (my second) I've been a little less concerned about them. They've been staying pretty decent (mid-40s, not ideal, but the best I can get them running two humidifiers). But when those Santa Anas start blowing in SoCal, it gets really really dry. My humidity levels have gotten as low as 15% (and honestly, I think that's just because my hygrometer won't go any lower haha) and my plants don't seem affected.

Something else you could do is just spray the inside walls of your "tent" with water. Not soak them, but mist them, I've read that works. I tried it myself a couple times and it seemed to help. But in LA, it can be 65 degrees and 50% humidity at 8am and by the time it's 11am, it's 90 with 20% humidity. Or 70% humidity. Really annoying. Makes it difficult to maintain any kind of consistent temps and stuff.

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

I think that's from the LEDs. I have an Apache AT600 and all of my plants have craaaaaaazyyyyy tight nodes, too.

I've heard that about LEDs also. I wish I could say it was in the art of the horticulturalist through temp and environmental control. But with the crazy temp fluctuations, I have no say at all it would seem in how this art is going to turn out. I mean today's temp spread was literally 40 degrees. From 4pm Sunday to 9am today a low of 50 and a high of 90 was achieved :P That's silly. I really believe that those extremes are quite temporary though.

Anywho, I love the LEDs and think that tight node spacing is result of them too. I just wish the beam wasn't so narrow. Each one of my lights is really only good for two plants, I believe. With three sharing one right now, they're all getting a workout bending to get the most light.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I've heard that about LEDs also. I wish I could say it was in the art of the horticulturalist through temp and environmental control. But with the crazy temp fluctuations, I have no say at all it would seem in how this art is going to turn out. I mean today's temp spread was literally 40 degrees. From 4pm Sunday to 9am today a low of 50 and a high of 90 was achieved :p That's silly. I really believe that those extremes are quite temporary though.

Anywho, I love the LEDs and think that tight node spacing is result of them too. I just wish the beam wasn't so narrow. Each one of my lights is really only good for two plants, I believe. With three sharing one right now, they're all getting a workout bending to get the most light.

Temp changes like that in flower could cause it to herm and grow out male pollen sacs

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

Temp changes like that in flower could cause it to herm and grow out male pollen sacs
Honestly, I have been staying away from saying that :( Kinda the 800lb gorilla in the room that I know I don't want to talk about :P but, nah that's really the reason why the temp fluctuations bother me so damn much. After what I've constructed in the last day or so in my "ECU", well if it doesn't work I know my yield will suffer greatly and I'll have one of those days like rmoltis unfortunately had with his bag seed. So, yeah...

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

So, Day 18. After responding to the hopeful words of 3N1GM4 (jk, much love :) I had to go out and look and yep, current temp was 64 (whoa) and since yesterday afternoon we'd seen 79 on high end and 50 on the low end.

I just bumped the heat up as I also saw that the "clawing" had returned and was really pronounced on Satori 4 and 6. I realize now that it is definitely over watering. I'm going to check on them later today to see that the temps aren't too high, but other than that leave them alone. My next recourse is to scrape up the money to get a Vornado AVH10 with temp thermostat or an outlet thermostat to see if they work to control the temp fluctuations better. Probably go with the outlet.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

lift your pots to check the weight and stick a finger in the dirt to see if it is moist below the surface
if it is moist a few inches down and the pot feels bottom heavy, it does not need water

after you lift it for days and days(with that small of a plant it will take a long time to use the water) you will start to feel the pot getting lighter, then when the soil feels dry on the top 3 or 4 inches, water it and soak it good until water runs out the bottom and repeat the lifting and testing the soil

after the plant gets bigger it will use the water faster but the first time will take forever to dry out, maybe over a week

they will tell you when they are thirsty by drooping the leaves, usually days after the soil feels dry so dont worry about underwatering because if you go by weight and soil dryness they will never be underwatered

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

lift your pots to check the weight and stick a finger in the dirt to see if it is moist below the surface
if it is moist a few inches down and the pot feels bottom heavy, it does not need water

after you lift it for days and days(with that small of a plant it will take a long time to use the water) you will start to feel the pot getting lighter, then when the soil feels dry on the top 3 or 4 inches, water it and soak it good until water runs out the bottom and repeat the lifting and testing the soil

after the plant gets bigger it will use the water faster but the first time will take forever to dry out, maybe over a week

they will tell you when they are thirsty by drooping the leaves, usually days after the soil feels dry so dont worry about underwatering because if you go by weight and soil dryness they will never be underwatered

:speechless:Oh I know, I know. Believe me, I confess that I've read your watering guidance actually on another's thread :) So it's not that, it's that I haven't gotten my setup to do that yet. As soon as I can finish off the "floor" then I'll be able to water properly. I allude to it in an earlier comment.

On a happy note, checking the enviro last half hour and it has been between 72-79 all day today. I'm betting that those temp spikes are occurring at night when the temps bottom out and are pretty temp. But, doesn't matter as I've since ordered a Lux WIN100 outlet thermostat. Feel foolish as the possible answer was there all the time and I've been expending energy chasing my tail on these modifications that haven't yielded great benefits. But,...whatevs

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

Oh, and I knew in the back of my head that these plants are not using this water and it's simply building up and will probably lead to further problems like nute lockout or something. I had decided yesterday to not water today to test that theory, but alas the plants told me before.

AlaskaJeff

AlaskaJeff

Day 19: Made the plunge. Didn't go the mainline route, want to maintain some lower canopy for now. So, topped and some trimming. Doing this, and failed to mention this on rmoltis' thread, more for canopy management than straight up yield increase, though it is ultimately for a greater yield. If that makes sense. Manage the canopy so as to gain a greater overall yield from the two diff strains I've got going on. Want to keep my sativa down some, so topped them only really. And, want to get my cheese to go taller if possible so topped and trimmed. Plan on trimming the cheese some more after I see how they respond to this. All plants topped and given ~8oz tea (diluted). Enviro actually not bad maintaining mid-70s all day so far. Got down to 52 last night though. Have a Lux WIN100 outlet thermostat to correct all that though. Should be here next Monday or so :)

Guys and gals, please sanity check my work here to ensure I've done the topping correctly. BIG THANKS :) to all watching and helping out!

The first shots are the after from above followed by the before topping from the side. As usual Cheese 1-2 followed by the Satori 4-7. The last pic is of two lower leaves taken from Satori 6. Is this evidence of overwatering or some deficiency? Anyone, please if you know. Thanks & Enjoy.

CIMG2548
CIMG2549
CIMG2550
CIMG2551
CIMG2552
CIMG2553
CIMG2541
CIMG2542
CIMG2543
CIMG2545
CIMG2546
CIMG2547