• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Schwarzenegger: High Time for Marijuana Debate
By JONATHAN LLOYD
Updated 5:02 PM PDT, Tue, May 5, 2009

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday that California should study other nations' experiences in legalizing and taxing marijuana, although he is not supporting the idea.

He said it's time to debate proposals such as a bill introduced in the state Legislature earlier this year that would treat marijuana like alcohol.

At a news conference about public safety funding, the governor was asked whether it's time to legalize marijuana in light of a new Field Poll that said 56 percent of registered voters support legalizing and taxing marijuana to raise revenues.

"I think it's not time for that, but I think it's time for debate," Schwarzenegger said. "All those ideas of creating extra revenues, I'm always for an open debate on it. We ought to study very carefully what other countries are doing that have legalized marijuana. What effect did it have on those countries? Are they happy with the decision? Or are they, for instance in Austria, unhappy? They rolled back some of the decisions that were made in European countries.

"I want to look at all that. It could very well be that everyone is happy with the decision and then we can look at that. If not, then we shouldn't do it. Just because of raising revenues, we have to be careful not to make mistakes at the same time."

State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, said taxing marijuana at $50 per ounce would bring more than $1 billion a year to the state. Ammiano's bill is on hold in the state Legislature. He delayed seeking approval until next year.

Source/Video:

E

Easyrasta

Tax 50 buck an ounce and peeps will still grow there own.

G

ganjatarian

So glad to get an answer to my question (asked in another thread) about Tom Amiano and SB 390....it was due to go before assembly 30th of march. Why do they want to hold it back another year?...the laws change county to county every day and some counties "interprete the law differently" because the law is so vague. Thanks for the update. G

P

Potorlando

not sure... 50 bucks an ounce for totally professionally grown top quality might make me give up the lights.... mixing nutes etc. in time it is more than 50 of work. But as a hobby fun. Get some real pros to dial down conditions and genetics... and I'll pay 50!!!!! but for now gotta deal with cramped conditions and guesswork!!

Billygoat

Billygoat

not sure... 50 bucks an ounce for totally professionally grown top quality might make me give up the lights.... mixing nutes etc. in time it is more than 50 of work. But as a hobby fun. Get some real pros to dial down conditions and genetics... and I'll pay 50!!!!! but for now gotta deal with cramped conditions and guesswork!!

I'm hearing that will be $50 bucks for the taxes, not the price of the oz. Let's not forget all the other hands that will be in the cookie jar also. City, County, State, and don't think the Fed's won't want a piece if it is passed here. They will see everyone else getting their cut and want theirs. Trust me on this one. It's not going to be cheap. It might at first, but then all the other taxes and service fee's will come into effect.

OH, your growing on your personal land. Your' going to need a permit. Don't think the city and county won't make you had one. This is what johnny law will be doing. Enforcing the laws and making sure your got a permit and the right plant count.

It's not going to be easy and cheap. There will be allot that need to be address, but I say it's a step in the right direction. I'll grow my own no matter what. At least I know what goes into it. I can see these super farms pumping all these chemicals into the plants to max them out and then say they are organic. becareful what you ask for.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Take care,
BG

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah it's $50 per oz to grow your own or $800 a pound now add that onto your electric bill plus nutes and your time and say so long to a nice chunk of profit

Billygoat

Billygoat

The govenator is in charge everything will be OK.

You think what you want to. I'm a 3rd generation probishtion. I've got a picture of my grandfather and uncle standing next to Joe Kennedy at their farm. When the trucks would drop off the alcohol and pick up the syrup and run it over the border into Canada.

The government might be changing, but I don't see it happening anytime soon and if it does. Just like I posted before. So, many hand's are going to be in the cookie jar. The cost is going to get out of control. The greed and the fact that everyone wants to balance out their budget. They are going to try to tax the hell out of it.

I would love to see it become legal, but i don't think it will anytime soon. When they do start talking about it. They are going to compare it to countries that have tried and it didn't work.

Try my thoughts and not trying to start anything. Just talking out loud.
Take care,
BG

F

Fear

Billygoat I guess I should of laughed after my statement. I was being fascisious. Blackmarket will always be around for me anyways. I get 4 an O it's gonna stay that way as long as I/ we/ you can grow the digidy dank. Alot people I deal with are to paranoid to register with the gov for any prescription even though they could get one no problem. Don't want the gov comin and takin their house. And as you said a long ways away so make as much money as you can and freakin enjoy it. Later mane Peace.

G

greyfx

That's the thing it's not about money, yea growing can provide for ones family but that does not give you an excuse to be against legalization, this is peoples lifes. I put people way before money any damn day, I want it legalized, and there is no such thing in the bill about a permit, please read it. This wouldn't affect any medical grower at all, only people who wanted to grow as a business. I hate it when people twist things to make it fit their agenda. Yea there would be some tax just like rolling your own tobacco has tax on it for a certain amount. People will still grow and sell weed illegally, but the price will drop and that is why people want to stop this bill, its the people who live in cali and are making their living off of selling weed.

Billygoat

Billygoat

Fear, I totally agree with you.

greyfx, who said I was against legalization. I'm for it, but I'm just trying to say. That if you think they aren't going to try and sugar coat it and then do something else. You got another thing coming. For the record and I think you need to ask around.

Back in 2003. My grow was busted. I had local police department, sheriffs deputies, and the US Marshalls. Long story short. I lost pretty much everything and cost me a total of 50K and that includes a nice SUV I just paid off. All from money i earned working a regular normal just. Grow was under a 100 plants and mainly made seeds and gave some smoke to a friend. I WOULD LOVE to see them legalize it. I would note ever want anyone to go through what i did. I still to this day look over my should. Grant it I live in a state now that I'm in a better place, but still have flash backs of them busting into my place.

Oh, and before you say I did something wrong. Nah, the place I was renting was in a college town. The place was rented out to a coke dealer that was busted years back and it was he last known address. They had a legal way to get a warrant. Not because or me, but they got a warrant.

Not trying to start anything. You hate it when people twist things. I hate it when people think thing will be all good and jolly. It WON'T, look at all that has happen. You actually trust the government! Mark my words and I really mean this. If they do legalize it and your not a medical user. Don't think they won't install some type of permit for those who want to grow.

You stated it's about the money for some. You pointed out the people in Cali. What do you think it's about for the government? You think it's for the love or the right thing to do! It will always be about the money for most. For the record, I make a living working a normal job and collecting a disability check from a nasty injury serving my country. I could sit home and live off my check, but I don't.

As for Cali, you better thank them and not knock them. They are the ones that have lead the way. They are the ones that have gotten it to this point and you want to knock them. For every state that has medical rights. They better thank cali for leading the way.

Let me just say this. I am in no way trying to start anything. I'm not flaming anyone. I just feel strongly about some thing posted. I've worked for the government and see what they say and do. If someone has a problem with something I posted. Feel free to pm me anytime and i'd be more then happy to chat.

Take care everyone and YES! I'm for legalization and will vote for it when it comes up here in Cali. Yes, I live where the grass is green and purple. lolol.

PS, I've read everything about these bills. Just like other bills that are passed. Don't think they won't add things to it at the last minute or later on down the road. Becarefull what you ask for, because you might get it
Take care,
BG

G

greenthumb

if government gets a hold of it thats america and england they will charge more than we pay at the minute plus tax then if like canada they treat the weed it wont be as good either!

Billygoat

Billygoat

if government gets a hold of it thats america and england they will charge more than we pay at the minute plus tax then if like canada they treat the weed it wont be as good either!

You got that right. I think the people that are making money off of cannabis out in cali, not me. Are afraid they are going to be left out in the cold and forced out. The big farms are going to move in and anyone wanted to farm it legally won't have a chance in the world to go legal. BIG money is going to move in and make it impossible for the little guy to grow legally.

As for prices dropping. They are already hitting rock bottom. I won't post prices and location, but I've never seen or heard of prices this low out in cali before. Personally, I could careless about making money off of cannabis. If it legalized, I just hope it's done the right way and they don't rush into it. I'd hate to see it a big mess. That's all I'm worried about. BIG money will have a play in it. Nothing you can do about it. Names have been in the patten office for many years and trademarked. This is with medical companies and cigarette companies.

I'm hoping for the best.
BG

F

Fear

Exactly once farms ditch there corn crops for marijhuana food priices will rise too. We will be inadated with shitty 1000 acre grows of tex mex. Dropping prices for weed and raising it for everything else wait and see. One good thing will lead to many bad and gov. control. I will never report in.

I pay rent and break even right now with my extra weed. I smoke a shit load and I pay rent with the dough since I can only get 1 good electrical job every 3 months with this shit hole economy.

G

greenthumb

im not bothered about cost either because i only sell enough of my crops to pay the bills and the rest is for my own personal use.
i have problems trusting anything that the government does because they lye to us everyday so why would i start to trust them with anything im going to ingest.
fuck that

Jack_Baybeh

Jack_Baybeh

No doubt, if they legalize, the government on every level(local,state,fed) will want their cut. Taxes, permits, business licenses, etc. etc. etc. and whatever else they can come up with. And no doubt that big corporate interest would move in and try to capitalize straight away just like they do with everything else as well. You know the big three tobacco companies got it figured out already. You know they got a plan, even after the millions they've given lobbyists in washington over many years to assure that politicans keep their foot on the whole MJ movement. That being said though, I don't fear the likes of say Philip Morris or RJR jumping in on cannabis cultivation. Look how they fuck up their tobacco,adding all those fillers and what not. The quality of their product would be shit. I think a guy with a small farm with some greenhouses and elite genetics will be able to carve out a niche in his local vicinity and make a living. Not get rich but make a nice living providing cannasuer grade herbs. I look at it like this whole microbrew/craft beer explosion that's happened in recent years. You've got Budweiser, Miller, Coors etc. pumping out this mass produced industrial swill they call beer and finally alot of people have come to recognize that brewing is an artisan craft and that these smaller operations turn out a much better more flavorful product with more variety in styles. There are about three different microbrewers in my city that have built up great businesses for themselves over the past decade. There product is sold in all area supermarkets, liquor stores and numerous resturants. Would be the same type thing with the herb IMO. Growing quality cannabis is horticulture = part art/part science. Dank nugs are delicate fruits that need to be handled and cared for as such. Corporate farmers wouldn't have the touch. That's just how I see it if this thing would go "legit". Either way, illegal or legal, permits, taxes and the like, I'll be growing my own for my own head.

M

mc1969

i just wish middle usa whould decriminalize growers and smokers (med or not) here are treated the same as meth cooks and users.

F

Fear

mc You evil evil man! In Cali we are known as Saints! LOL

Hey don't forget to say govenator with a austrian ascent. (sp)

K

Kalcu

$50 taxed per ounce isn't bad if the, it goes from the company that grows it; to either a wholesale company or straight shipped to the store. So much of the costs of cannabis, or the middle men and the risks. But mostly people selling low, then it just gets higher and higher and higher.

I would not want to pay over $300 an ounce if it was legal, the Government can make what they want........but a company shouldn't get to greedy. Cheap to grow outside and inside, if it is legal and you don't lose your investments.

Top Bottom