Schwer's First Grow Evah! Planning, Prep and Grow

• Thread starter Schwer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Day 35 today

I watered the whole crew yesterday with 5 gallons of RO that I mixed with 5 teaspoons of epsom salts to combat the mag deficiency. I used a lovely lavender scented epsom salt bath mix that I'm sure my plants will find super relaxing in conjunction with the eucalyptus candle and "Sounds of Meditation" Spotify playlist I added to the tent. 😉 (Just kidding before anyone asks... I used straight up mag sulfate).

Everyone in the 3 gal pots received ~3.5 liters, and little Peggy, who is just kind of there these days and on a different schedule, received about 1.5 liters.

The BBK's seemed to be impacted by the mag deficiency more than the GDP's. Here's the worst afflicted among the BBK's as of this morning.

Tent066

And here's the rest of the crew this morning looking fine. I'll be getting in there to do some more LST to even out the canopy again this afternoon.... a near daily affair now.

Tent067

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Btw, there's still a lot of room in the tent but its filling up quickly. Anyone have any general thoughts on when I should consider flipping these guys to flower? (Blackberry Kush & Grand Daddy Purp). I know I can expect some additional growth after the flip so I'm not sure to what degree I should be trying to fill the space.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Btw, there's still a lot of room in the tent but its filling up quickly. Anyone have any general thoughts on when I should consider flipping these guys to flower? (Blackberry Kush & Grand Daddy Purp). I know I can expect some additional growth after the flip so I'm not sure to what degree I should be trying to fill the space.
If they do anything like mine are I would flip sooner than later. Both of mine are kush and same strain. Lol 🤪😬
391B9F93 E8D5 47B4 86DF B7C1A35B575A

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Day 35 today

I watered the whole crew yesterday with 5 gallons of RO that I mixed with 5 teaspoons of epsom salts to combat the mag deficiency. I used a lovely lavender scented epsom salt bath mix that I'm sure my plants will find super relaxing in conjunction with the eucalyptus candle and "Sounds of Meditation" Spotify playlist I added to the tent. 😉 (Just kidding before anyone asks... I used straight up mag sulfate).

Everyone in the 3 gal pots received ~3.5 liters, and little Peggy, who is just kind of there these days and on a different schedule, received about 1.5 liters.

The BBK's seemed to be impacted by the mag deficiency more than the GDP's. Here's the worst afflicted among the BBK's as of this morning.

View attachment 1150466

And here's the rest of the crew this morning looking fine. I'll be getting in there to do some more LST to even out the canopy again this afternoon.... a near daily affair now.

View attachment 1150467
My runt of my two plants is turning out to be the best of the two so far. So keep on loving her I bet she will repay you in “kind” (pun intended)

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Yeah you can see where the second net is, they were both the same height then. :)

I don't foresee height being too much of a problem with this grow (outside of plant variability, heh). They're all very short right now and even if they quintuple in height after flipping there's room to spare.

I'm more wondering how much of the canopy to fill before flipping, and that's probably because I've watched so many scrog videos, lol. Speaking of which I am kind of glad I didn't scrog this time around. These GDP's in particular are super dense and I'm glad I can pull them out of the tent to work on them. Thanks to whoever steered me away from my original plans.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Day 36:

I tried taking a picture directly from above to show how much of the canopy I still have to fill. I did another round of LST this morning as well and some very light defoliation on lower fan leaves that weren't getting any light anyway. I did a little extra defoliation on Peggy to make her look less like a pine cone.

Tent068

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
I've been using this type of garden twine along with medium-size paper clamps on the cloth pots for my LST needs and I really like that combo. The twine is tee-shirt soft, has some stretchiness, its easy to remove, not difficult to place (except on my blackhole-level-dense GDP's), and as the canopy expands I'll be able to use the pot risers for my anchor points. There may be better stuff out there but I though it worth reporting on what I've been using.

Tent069

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
So as previously mentioned I took the organic route in easiest way possible for my first grow by purchasing a buffered super soil - the Coast of Maine Stonington blend. I was looking over some guidelines for that blend today and saw that it was listed as good for 30 days in 5 gal pots. Seeing as how I'm at day 37 in 3 gal pots I should probably start amending my soil with the plant food I purchased to go along with it... the aptly named Stonington's Plant food, a 5-2-4 mix with lobster, kelp and WC.

I'll use the listed amounts (looks like a quarter cup scratched into the top layer of soil per plant) next watering and see how that goes. I might also use a microbial solution like Recharge and see how that works out.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

So as previously mentioned I took the organic route in easiest way possible for my first grow by purchasing a buffered super soil - the Coast of Maine Stonington blend. I was looking over some guidelines for that blend today and saw that it was listed as good for 30 days in 5 gal pots. Seeing as how I'm at day 37 in 3 gal pots I should probably start amending my soil with the plant food I purchased to go along with it... the aptly named Stonington's Plant food, a 5-2-4 mix with lobster, kelp and WC.
So far I have really like the CoM soil. I still have 2 full bags of the same stuff. Aside from being too hot for seedlings, it has served me well. I did indeed start supplementing with nutrients after that 30 mark, although at the time, I could not get my hands on the Stonington's Plant Food. It was unavailable through their website and I did find some vendors on the internet selling it but they were price gouging asking as much as $50 for what they sell at the website for $15.99. I opted for the Roots Organics in lieu of what I wanted in the first place and I'm happy with that.

Looking forward to seeing how your grow comes out. I also think I am going to get some of that Recharge for my next grow.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
$50 is highway robbery, damn. I think I paid $20 on Amazon which is still too much.

Your grow is looking fantastic btw 👍

Lilolme

Lilolme

Day 36:

I tried taking a picture directly from above to show how much of the canopy I still have to fill. I did another round of LST this morning as well and some very light defoliation on lower fan leaves that weren't getting any light anyway. I did a little extra defoliation on Peggy to make her look less like a pine cone.

View attachment 1150809
I would think about flippin soon your at 5 weeks, give a feed and reset the timer you’ve seen how my 3 are fillin out a 6x3 space with 6 weeks veg. Heres flip day and now after less than four weeks
A134BEDB 3D5A 4E87 9CA8 B7262D799ECE
EB3FD539 674A 42E9 A1AD 0560275A2F56

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Well damn, you make a very good point. My plan was to fill most of the canopy with little flower sites before flipping but your pic makes a very good argument for sooner rather than later.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Shoot for 6 weeks that’ll give you a couple days to feed em and agonize over it, lol

Lilolme

Lilolme

Got your pocket microscope ready? Been readin up on trics?
Got your dryin method worked out? Got a case of wide mouthed mason jars and a dozen Boveda packets? Much to do chop chop time is comin

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Microscope: I have two huge desk versions because I'm a micro hobbiest but those probably won't help with the grow, heh.
Reading up on trics: Check
Drying method: Check... going to branch dry by hanging from a post in the tent and mostly dry-trim later. Maybe some paper bags before the jars.
Mason Jars: X
Boveda packets: Check

But stop stressing me out man! I haven't even flipped yet! 😄

Top Bottom