Scissors

• Thread starter kevinn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kevinn

kevinn

Wondering what type of scissors you guys & girls use for trimming your buds. My grandson tried to pry something open with my favorite pair that I have had for 10 years. He didn't bother to tell me and just put them back. Knew something was up because they never put anything back where they find it. Anyways, they don't work so well with just 1 blade and they don't seem to make them anymore.

Thanks

bigjay420

bigjay420

Cuticle scissors with a plastic or padded handle work for me. The ones with the metal handle eat my fat thumbs up. I prefer the ones with a curved blade. But they come with straight, as well.

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

DayLaborerContempt.jpg

only 10$/hour..

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Ars curved snips...super light, I know girls who trim with them who have been trimming for 5+ years, people who trim a lot and use the spring loaded ones get arthritis within a year or two

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Oh yeah almost forgot...if you can find them, chickamusa scissors are hands down the best. I haven't trimmed in a pretty long time but the pros I know are all ragin about the chickamusas.

And I'm not kidding about that arthritis, I know a few girls under 30 who have it from workin just two seasons. Never use springs.

Skoosh

Skoosh

Oh yeah, I forgot.
ARS only seem to be able to handle a couple/three re hones (resharpens)
(I'm um... frugal (LOLOL to say the least)
I got tired of dropping close to $400-500 on skizzors each year, so I started resharpening them in about 2005-06, and that's how I found out the blades will only take a couple resharpenings.

K

kolah

nothing fancy for me...10 dollar Hydro-farms, spring-loaded, straight bladed scissors. I don't like the curved ones because I cut from both sides. For me, it sucks not having scissors with a return spring. Keep em clean and sharp too.

I been thinking about trying out a Dremel tool but would have to make up some type of whirly-gig set up to trim....and do it in a plexiglass box to catch the flying stuff. Bzzzzzzz.

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

nothing fancy for me...10 dollar Hydro-farms, spring-loaded, straight bladed scissors. I don't like the curved ones because I cut from both sides. For me, it sucks not having scissors with a return spring. Keep em clean and sharp too.

I been thinking about trying out a Dremel tool but would have to make up some type of whirly-gig set up to trim....and do it in a plexiglass box to catch the flying stuff. Bzzzzzzz.

http://www.speedeetrim.com/ These things work super, the cordless are bit heavy. I have only used them for dry trimming.

Oh yeah almost forgot...if you can find them, chickamusa scissors are hands down the best. I haven't trimmed in a pretty long time but the pros I know are all ragin about the chickamusas.

And I'm not kidding about that arthritis, I know a few girls under 30 who have it from workin just two seasons. Never use springs.

How are the springs causing arthritis? The open close motion wears on my joints out way faster. It also helps if you keep a razor blade to scrape them every 15 or so, 4 scissors per trimmer, and a glass of olive oil on hand soak them, to keep them from sticking and it helps greatly with the deresining the blades. I do the same with speedee trim blades.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Been thru alot of scissors in my time, after years of trimming without a doubt I'll tell ya Hydrofarm's are the best out there! I have a few of the curved blades too but they only seem to get in rotation when I've gummed up all my straight blades and I'm too lazy to scrap the scissor hash off and clean em lol

If you drop a pair of Fiskars you better hope they don't make contact with any part of your body..... those f'n things will stick your ass good!

showmegreen

showmegreen

Found these in an old run down barn bout eight or dozen yrs ago. Cleaned them up and replaced the corroded square nut n screw with a rivet. Metal is harder than a virgin wedding dick. They will slice you open and you wont even feel it. Jus wonder wer all the bloods comin frum.
1418449451497 1101030303
Love'em! The energy they have is awesome. Cut a stalk at tha base in two snips. Wouldnt think it but they do. I call'em Edward "They's my scissor hands". Heck I jus masserated 13 whole plants and clones fer dabs lastnight.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

How are the springs causing arthritis? The open close motion wears on my joints out way faster. It also helps if you keep a razor blade to scrape them every 15 or so, 4 scissors per trimmer, and a glass of olive oil on hand soak them, to keep them from sticking and it helps greatly with the deresining the blades. I do the same with speedee trim blades.

Ain't nobody got time to clean scissors every 15 minutes...if my trimmers are using more than 1/4 in of the tip of the scissor they are usually off the table and doing bitch work...I have a towel and glass of water out, everyone dips in water and wipes the blade clean every four or five nugs, one handed motion no need to scrape or stop. Blades are literally never dirty

Using the tip of the scissors is key...the ars and esp. The chickamusas are very light and I have zero resistance with them when I use them right.

As for arthritis...does it really seem that weird that pushing on a spring for 9-14 hours at a time for a week straight may be sorta bad for your tendons? There is definitely resistance there and unless you trim like a lawnmower (aka getting mashtastic...lol my girls call people out on it) there absolutely is a huge difference. I mean...I literally know chicks under 30 who have arthritis from trimming with spring loads, idk what else to say about that lol other than it sucks they can't come work anymore

Skoosh

Skoosh

Ya know, with the ARS, I had actual curved ones, I think back in 2004, then I was never able to find the curves, all I could find (Spare-Crime Willits) was the angled heads.
I didn't really care for the curved ones, but I'm weird, and there's a hell of a lot of trimmers who can put me to shame.

As for cleaning scissors, I cut the top one third off of a plastic water bottle, fill it enough with 99% (Or any strength ISO if all you're doing is cleaning scissors.) one or two (or three or four) pairs of scissors (ARS) will fit nicely in the opening, put just enough ISO to submerge the cutting edges, and keep a paper towel right next to it, so trimmers can swap out at will with one swipe on the paper towel to dry off the ISO & have a fresh pair of scissors. (I also like a little blast of 'pam' or any cooking oil in a can to lube the blades to get things started.
I've found this method to work (mostly) the best for larger jobs.
(don't over fill the cut water bottles with ISO, as it can sometimes tend to be top heavy, tip & spill.)
NOTE:
I never really had the time to worry much about scraping off the scissor hash, sometimes a trimmer would take it upon themselves to do so, but my main concern usually was getting flower in off the vine before the Northern California autumn's humidity (and mold spores) decided to take it off the vine for me through 'mycology'. (and thereby heading over my cliff)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I found one of those scent warmer things my husband bought me, into that I've stuck a small glass that's just big enough to hold some cooking oil and the scissors. They now live in the warmed oil, it works perfectly (as long as I don't bump the cup!). I really prefer this to soaking in ISO because I believe the ISO destroys the blades. I'm not seeing the pitting in the metal I used to now that I've changed methods. A quick swipe with a paper towel and they're all smooth and chicken grease.

I don't know about arthritis being caused by the spring-loaded scissors, but stuff like carpal tunnel syndrome I can totally see happening. Just as painful, just as debilitating.

@Skoosh -- the curved shears are around, they're just not so inexpensive anymore, around $20 with tax & shipping, IIRC.

colostoney

colostoney

I've used plain ol large stainless medical scissors with 3 inch blade for 20 years......the spring loaded ones hurt my arthritis
I'm getting too old to hand trim but I hate the look a machine trimmed bud and I will not fuck my
artwork up that way
Someone really needs to invent a good set of electric shears for trimming that are economical they could make millions
if a guy could get a good woring set in hydro stores for around 30-50 dollars he'd make millions. I have been experimenting with attachments for my dremel tool even lol
lwith a bent nail for a blade like a weed eater

Skoosh

Skoosh

Sea: as a (former) guit-box player, the carpel tunnel flare ups the Fiskars (spring loaded) cause were the stuff of NO DREAMS (translation: extremely painful flare ups in the middle of the night.)

Also, DISCLAIMER (once again)
I wasn't doing a 6, or 10 light set each October, we used to liken it more to trying to take a drink off a fire hose.
My trimming season usually ran 4-6 weeks, 8-12 hours per day, 7 days per week.
$20 sounds about right nowadays, I think I usually got jammed for something like $27-$28 (with tax) from Spare Crime.

And +1,000,000! on the alcohol degrading the cutting edge, I never thought about it, but now that you point it out it's obvious!
Either one will clean the blades given enough time, that's for sure.

LOL, ever since I started dabbing solely, I'm buying 99% ISO buy the case (not really, but close.)
I need to quit drying everything out (my skin from handling all the rigs as they're cleaning.)
High arid desert, isopropyl alcohol and exzema don't play well together.

Top Bottom