Scratched outer glass HPS 150W

• Thread starter rogone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rogone

rogone

Im a beginner ,my ordered HPS bulb is a little bit scratched in couple places at the top of the outer glass. Visible close up under light ,looks like a hair i cant tell you how deep it is but i can definitely feel them under my finger. Sooo.. i turned it on 1 time but now im scared the heat cycle will make the scratches bigger and eventually glass pop. Anyone expirienced on that matter? Will it agressively blow up or glass just shatters and inner tube stay intact workin for some time so i can react. Is it really something to worry about and bulb is trash? Im will be mostly at home when bulb is operating.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've seen small scuffs and scratches on a lot of bulbs over the years. Should be fine.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Only time I've ever seen any pop was if they got wet while they were on. Never seen one burst from scuffing. These were all 1000 or 600w lamps also, way hotter than a 150, I think its fine to use.

rogone

rogone

Thank you im less stressed now , if theres anyone else with expirience on the topic please share 🤔

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

mine have always blown were it screws in fixture,just black,as mentioned if you get water on it it sure will,i have had 250 watt flood lamps in my living room with window unit cooling as i build motors,ac went out one day and it was 100 outside the quick change of temp did blow it,you heard it blow but did not blow apart,it is more likely to blow having fingers on it,always screw them in with a towel or rag,the oil in your skin will pop um same with head lights of the newer cars,gloves or anything but bare skin you all good

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Im a beginner ,my ordered HPS bulb is a little bit scratched in couple places at the top of the outer glass. Visible close up under light ,looks like a hair i cant tell you how deep it is but i can definitely feel them under my finger. Sooo.. i turned it on 1 time but now im scared the heat cycle will make the scratches bigger and eventually glass pop. Anyone expirienced on that matter? Will it agressively blow up or glass just shatters and inner tube stay intact workin for some time so i can react. Is it really something to worry about and bulb is trash? Im will be mostly at home when bulb is operating.
Maybe it's a used bulb? I've gotten one or two from shady bastards in the past and sent them back, got a picture?

rogone

rogone

Maybe it's a used bulb? I've gotten one or two from shady bastards in the past and sent them back, got a picture?
Bulb package was opened before for sure ,but i guessed maybe it was shelf bulb or they had to test it before shipping. Glass is black at the bottom but some of them look like this from new right? Im not in the mood to fuck with the shop return ,shipping was free in two separate packages and it took them couple of days (too late anyway i think *7days* ) I could buy new one but its over my budget ,still have to order fan with carbon filter. Its difficult to take good pics so here are two. (2-3 more scratches like this but shorter on the top). Maybe these are not that bad? But heat cycle wear.. Idk i will just use it.. But no1 answeared about the POP is it super violent? What happens?

IMG 0032
IMG 0050
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Bulb package was opened before for sure ,but i guessed maybe it was shelf bulb or they had to test it before shipping. Glass is black at the bottom but some of them look like this from new right? Im not in the mood to fuck with the shop return ,shipping was free in two separate packages and it took them couple of days (too late anyway i think *7days* ) I could buy new one but its over my budget ,still have to order fan with carbon filter. Its difficult to take good pics so here are two. (2-3 more scratches like this but shorter on the top). Maybe these are not that bad? But heat cycle wear.. Idk i will just use it.. But no1 answeared about the POP is it super violent? What happens?
doesn't look used but you said it was open, humm? Maybe give it a try but keep an eye on it, it's the inside bulb that you don't want to break, is some nasty shit inside of halide bulbs. Personally I agree with distydemon, I would send it back

Edit: wait a minute that's black as hell where you're holding it by your hand down near the base, cant tell for sure from pic but that looks like it may be burnt?! Not so much the filament but down by where you're holding it plus it shouldn't be scratched anyway

Happened to me a couple years ago I did a whole thread on it on a different cannabis site making sure I pointed out the scum of a vendor who sent it to me and I sent it back, you wouldn't believe how many other people posted in that thread about getting used bulbs! a lot of scum use it for one run or maybe even longer in their own grows and then they sell it to customers as new, I've come to understand

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Wanted to add I've ordered a lot of VivoSun bulbs and I haven't had one problem with their bulbs. Not saying it's not a possibility that there could be an issue from them, but I've never had one with them. I'm about to order more bulbs now from them in fact

Your bulb is a bit unusual because usually the white filament in the middle is burnt on one end or both ends, yours looks all right but its scratched,was opened, and it's does look black down where you're holding it, but that might be natural, if I'm honest I'm not sure about that one?

rogone

rogone

Edit: wait a minute that's black as hell where you're holding it by your hand down near the base, cant tell for sure from pic but that looks like it may be burnt?! Not so much the filament but down by where you're holding it plus it shouldn't be scratched anyway

I turned the bulb on 1 time for like a minute, Yes its super black ,on like 2 sides black reach littlebit higher where the inside metal thingy's are close. Maybe the flashlight made it look more scary but only light i have rn is colorful led ,phone or yellow either shit compared to daylight.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Should look more like this, clear..
Screenshot 20191001 204909 Chrome
Screenshot 20191001 204822 Chrome

I took another look & in my opinion you've got a used bulb there. Sometimes they say well it's tested blah blah blah but that bulbs scratch to shit & looks burnt. Good luck with whatever you decide!

rogone

rogone

Bulb flicker and started to be brighter.. brighter then i was like oh shit and turned it off. You know i never had such a bulb and im not electrician thats why im there asking these questions maybe i should just let her go and see.. Some are black from new and some clear seems like on google

150w hps agro superplant
Elektrox Natriumdampflampe Super Bloom 150W
rogone

rogone

I took another look & in my opinion you've got a used bulb there. Sometimes they say well it's tested blah blah blah but that bulbs scratch to shit & looks burnt. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Here more pics

IMG 0047
IMG 0022
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've seen tons of new ones have that black fade on the bottom, I honestly think it's fine. The Arc tube doesnt look like it's been fired up.

Seriously I think you're overthinking this. Turn it on, it will take a few mins to reach max brightness. If it hasnt exploded after 10 min itll be fine, but ill bet 99.9% chance it doesnt explode.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

ive had 2 hps bulbs in the past blow out,they dont explode,you might hear a pop when it does,it is heat meeting cool air,the flicker is normal for HID lighting ,they take a few seconds to fully turn on for just this reason ,not exploding,im not gonna say dont worry about it,it is man made be a program for a robot ,or just a robot kicking them out by thousands,you are way over freaking out,if you have any doubt dont use it,a new one that give you peace of mind cost 15 20 bucks,if you dont have that in your budget ,your in the wrong hobby friend,even them 100 buck bulbs burn out,ive been lucky so far,my MH bulb is the orignal bulb i got with light fan filter combo 6 yrs ago,im on my second HPS bulb in that 6 years,budget a back up to along with a ballast,those you have to have over a fan and filter bar none,without light you have no smell no plant if you dig,save that one for backup,get one that you aint freaking on,they bolw out just as a reg house light bulb,just a pop if your close you hear it,most times you wake and dark tent

rogone

rogone

Thank you guys i think everything i need to know been said🤟

if you dont have that in your budget ,your in the wrong hobby friend

Im young so budget is short ,also here 20$ is a bit more than that 😬 But i think small grow i can manage ,im tryin to learn and research everyday if everything go as planned i will post results on this forum 🤞

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yeah couldn't find that style bulb but I see the pictures above and I might be wrong about it being used, and I mentioned the filament didn't look burnt at all, just the scratches & the open box seemed off, but I guess the black is normal on that bulb?

I would use it, I hear they only pop if you hit them with water when they're hot plus they're sealed inside, the outside where the scratches is basically just a casing

wipe your fingerprints off it before you use it with paper towels and some glass cleaner or alcohol, good luck

Top Bottom