Scycne led - HLG 550 V2 - spider farmer SF4000

• Thread starter Sparky75
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sparky75

Sparky75

I am looking at purchasing an led this week. The Scynce led is the one I am planning on purchasing with a discount. I have been reading all the grow light posts and it seems that everyone loves the HLG 550 V2 for the price. I know it has the LM301B Samsung chip, which everyone loves. I ran across the

spider farmer sf4000 full spectrum led
  • 1152 Samsung LM301B LED chips
  • 56 Deep Red LED chips
  • 4 IR chips
It seems comparable to the HLG 550 V2 and they are $549 and have the Samsung chip everyone loves. I cannot figure out why they are cheaper, Is this a quality light and does it compare to the HLG 550 V2 or is the light cheaper made than the HLG 550v2. It seems to be a high-end comparable light at a cheaper price. I just don't know, so would someone tell me if this is as good as the HLG 550 V2 or have they cut corners that I don't understand and it is a cheaper made light. Thanks.

Medical Grow - Cancer Purposes
I am looking at growing CBD and THC and producing a high yield with a high percentage of trichomes for medical purposes. I am a caregiver for a daughter with a second cancer, which was given up to die in June, and her cancer is almost gone using lab-tested flower with a 1:1 ratio making RSO at 500mg/500mg. CBD seems to be controlling the GVHD following kayltera studies in Israel. So this is very important I find something that produces high THC, lots of milky, slightly amber trichomes. I have to get this right. I can't afford to keep purchasing from the dispensary at $400 - $480 an ounce, I have almost sold everything I own and need to start soon before I run out of funds, it will take 2-3 months to grow. Thanks.

Sparky75

Sparky75

The 550 is certified I don't believe the spider is.

If you look at the hlg 600 it's the same as the 550 but more wattage and yet it is cheaper because it's not certified

That's a very good price on the HLG 600 and seems to be comparable to lights that are twice the cost, yet get the same results for half the price. From what I have read and understand, that is my theory.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's a very good price on the HLG 600 and seems to be comparable to lights that are twice the cost, yet get the same results for half the price. From what I have read and understand, that is my theory.
I own that light also. I feel it's one of the best bangs for the buck on the market for led.if you take a peak at reviews anywhere it's not hard to see how people who has purchased it feel about it.

Sparky75

Sparky75

I own that light also. I feel it's one of the best bangs for the buck on the market for led

I wish the companies making grow lights had independent testing of their products or company testings with grow journals (nutrients, strains, problems, daily logs), pictures, and videos listed on their website. That should be an industry standard. Then list the lab results of what they grew. That would show you if the light was quality or not. That would sell grow lights.....lol

But I am definitely looking at that HLG 600. Thanks for letting me know why it was cheaper and considering it due to the price point and quality.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I wish the companies making grow lights had independent testing of their products or company testings with grow journals (nutrients, strains, problems, daily logs), pictures, and videos listed on their website. That should be an industry standard. Then list the lab results of what they grew. That would show you if the light was quality or not. That would sell grow lights.....lol

But I am definitely looking at that HLG 600. Thanks for letting me know why it was cheaper and considering it due to the price point and quality.
I'm pretty sure hlg uses independent testing and results I think are on their website. I could be wrong. If not currently I think it used to be.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I would absolutely go with HLG units over the spider farm. I can tell you from real experience that the warranties are honored by HLG and the claims are handled and fixed quickly. They often send the replacement unit or part with a packing slip for you to send back the defective piece. That is often one of the major differences when buying from a top of the line company, they will stand by their gear, the smaller knock-of companies may just disapear on you. If you are looking for inexpensive units, I would look at Mars-Hydro before the Spider Farm. It actually looks like Spider Farm is using the spectral analysis from the Mars units. I know over the years Mars has not made the greatest units but their new SP and TS units do appear to be significantly better units. Plus they are even a bit more affordable than Spider Farm. But for quantum boards HLG is absolutley top of the line; I built a custom unit using their boards. That may also be another option for you, they offer many of their lights in quick to assemble kits that brings the price of their units down into more affordable ranges.

As for the testing and showing lab results, not every state is legal and these companies still want to sell their gear in those states. SO having specific results for Cannabis on there and no other tests could be detrimental to their business overall. It is pretty easy to find growers using their lights on here, instagram and other internet sources to see how well they work. Plus test results from a bad grower could turn people off of their products.

Sparky75

Sparky75

I'm pretty sure hlg uses independent testing and results I think are on their website. I could be wrong. If not currently I think it used to be.

There seems to be a large number of people very satisfied here on the forum with the results they produce, that's about the only way you can figure out the best lights for a grow at this time. Just about every post I read about those lights, people are raving about them or suggesting them for a grow. I have not found anything negative about them and I have read many posts trying to do my due diligence and making the right choice due to my situation. I have a little incentive on making sure I get the right light, it is important to have a good light to produce medical-grade products that I can use for my daughter, I can assure you this works for secondary acute myeloid luekemia after a bone marrow transplant and cancer coming back before we started RSO oil 1:1 ratio. So, I have to get this right and maintain a maintenance dose and be ready for a possible relapse. Overall survival and relapse rates are terrifying. So I want to make sure I choose the correct light to produce medical-grade products that I will use. I don't even use it personally, just trying to help her survive. My aunt has a dog with cancer and it helps that dog better than any drug the vet has given, she no longer coughs and is relaxed, she has not had her tested since the dog was diagnosed with cancer, but we gave the dog the same thing as my daughter at much lower doses based on the dogs weight and dosing charts I found online.

Sparky75

Sparky75

I would absolutely go with HLG units over the spider farm. I can tell you from real experience that the warranties are honored by HLG and the claims are handled and fixed quickly. They often send the replacement unit or part with a packing slip for you to send back the defective piece. That is often one of the major differences when buying from a top of the line company, they will stand by their gear, the smaller knock-of companies may just disapear on you. If you are looking for inexpensive units, I would look at Mars-Hydro before the Spider Farm. It actually looks like Spider Farm is using the spectral analysis from the Mars units. I know over the years Mars has not made the greatest units but their new SP and TS units do appear to be significantly better units. Plus they are even a bit more affordable than Spider Farm. But for quantum boards HLG is absolutley top of the line; I built a custom unit using their boards. That may also be another option for you, they offer many of their lights in quick to assemble kits that brings the price of their units down into more affordable ranges.

As for the testing and showing lab results, not every state is legal and these companies still want to sell their gear in those states. SO having specific results for Cannabis on there and no other tests could be detrimental to their business overall. It is pretty easy to find growers using their lights on here, instagram and other internet sources to see how well they work. Plus test results from a bad grower could turn people off of their products.

I need top of the line and the HLG is affordable. I don't want an inferior light for medical purposes. I need a top of the line light that can produce the results I am looking for (medical grade). Thanks for pointing out the difference. I am still reading and learning day by day.......:):):):)

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

There seems to be a large number of people very satisfied here on the forum with the results they produce, that's about the only way you can figure out the best lights for a grow at this time. Just about every post I read about those lights, people are raving about them or suggesting them for a grow. I have not found anything negative about them and I have read many posts trying to do my due diligence and making the right choice due to my situation. I have a little incentive on making sure I get the right light, it is important to have a good light to produce medical-grade products that I can use for my daughter, I can assure you this works for secondary acute myeloid luekemia after a bone marrow transplant and cancer coming back before we started RSO oil 1:1 ratio. So, I have to get this right and maintain a maintenance dose and be ready for a possible relapse. Overall survival and relapse rates are terrifying. So I want to make sure I choose the correct light to produce medical-grade products that I will use. I don't even use it personally, just trying to help her survive. My aunt has a dog with cancer and it helps that dog better than any drug the vet has given, she no longer coughs and is relaxed, she has not had her tested since the dog was diagnosed with cancer, but we gave the dog the same thing as my daughter at much lower doses based on the dogs weight and dosing charts I found online.
Just playing devils advocate here for a moment, while the correct light does matter as has been reiterated on this site time and time again, the right light is the one that suits your grow. So none of us have asked yet, what size area are you trying to light, that will make a big difference as to what light would be best. Also, do you have a budget for lighting?

As I began to say, lighting is not everything when producing medical grade Cannabis. You need to have a properly dialed in environment and good gardening practices. There is a lot more to growing medical grade Cannabis than just a good light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I need top of the line and the HLG is affordable. I don't want an inferior light for medical purposes. I need a top of the line light that can produce the results I am looking for (medical grade). Thanks for pointing out the difference. I am still reading and learning day by day.......:):):):)
There is no difference in cannabis in terms of medical grade the only difference would be the QA and testing requirements.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Bottom of the line lighting can still produce high quality meds if you have the right genetics and practices. Years ago I grew in a little cabinet under CFLs and grew medicine that dispensary owners would beg me for. So its not just about lighting.

Sparky75

Sparky75

Just playing devils advocate here for a moment, while the correct light does matter as has been reiterated on this site time and time again, the right light is the one that suits your grow. So none of us have asked yet, what size area are you trying to light, that will make a big difference as to what light would be best. Also, do you have a budget for lighting?

As I began to say, lighting is not everything when producing medical grade Cannabis. You need to have a properly dialed in environment and good gardening practices. There is a lot more to growing medical grade Cannabis than just a good light.

The LIghting budget is not a concern as much as producing a high-quality product for my daughter and her needs, you can't put a price on that. So I am not concerned about the price as much as quality and I have some family members who will help. I can definitely afford a 4x4 setup with any light on the market. My goal is to either have 2 4x4 setups, one for CBD and one for THC or a 4x8 with the tent split between CBD/THC. The red light HLG or the HLG 600 are affordable for two setups or one 4x8. I could also do a 4x4 and rotate the grow or split the grow between 4 plants with the scrog method. I will be using the scrog method. I also already have a hydro setup if I need it. So, I can do soil or hydro.

I have studied growing and making oil since she was five and she is now eleven. Since last October I stayed in the hospital with her from October till May around the clock with nothing to do but study complementary methods to treat cancer and that is all I have done for a year is read about growing medical cannabis and you are correct in the light is not the only thing and I understand the environment and how important it is to the grow as well as good gardening practices. From an experience standpoint, I don't have much, but from a knowledge standpoint, I have well educated myself in all areas of gardening. I am sure things will come up I need to figure out during a grow.

Playing the devils advocate definitely helps figure out what's best, I appreciate the help. I am grateful for forums like this that are willing to help you through issues that arise, getting the correct setup, learning good practices. Thanks for the help.

Migrower

Migrower

@Sparky75 I praise your cause for wanting to learn how to grow this beautiful plant. If you would like to get the exact same diodes and a top of the line driver, both have warranties. You can check out Alibaba.com and look at kingbrite led. They have quantum boards that I can vouch for personally and great pricing. I just had a customer service issue and it was taken care of promptly and admirably. These are the same light HLG makes practically. Maybe a mm or two difference on heatsink thickness and maybe even kingbrites way. Either way they are worth a look.

Sparky75

Sparky75

Bottom of the line lighting can still produce high quality meds if you have the right genetics and practices. Years ago I grew in a little cabinet under CFLs and grew medicine that dispensary owners would beg me for. So its not just about lighting.

I have seeds from sensible
Northern lights, wedding cake, and a few others.

@Sparky75 I praise your cause for wanting to learn how to grow this beautiful plant. If you would like to get the exact same diodes and a top of the line driver, both have warranties. You can check out Alibaba.com and look at kingbrite led. They have quantum boards that I can vouch for personally and great pricing. I just had a customer service issue and it was taken care of promptly and admirably. These are the same light HLG makes practically. Maybe a mm or two difference on heatsink thickness and maybe even kingbrites way. Either way they are worth a look.

I looked at those. I did not see the light spectrum, which I am searching for more information about them. I also am researching the difference between their lm301b and lm30h, which I think may be the same. But I have to do my due diligence by reading. I thought they looked like the HLG, I am researching it to compare to the HLG today. I would love to know how they compare.

Last edited:
Sparky75

Sparky75

There is no difference in cannabis in terms of medical grade the only difference would be the QA and testing requirements.

Right, I guess I should have said cannabis tested for pesticides, fungi, mold, higher THC, which I understand can fluctuate 8-10% based on the grow and have seen the same companies with the same genetics of different strains that are lab tested that has fluctuated within that 8-10% tolerance based on the genetics and what it is supposed to actually produce in THC. For example, I watched wedding cake from the same grower in Ohio fluctuate as low as 23.7 percent to as high as 33.3 percent and anywhere in the middle based on the batch and lab testing for that batch. You are right, there is no difference between medical grade other than it being a tested product for actual THC and contaminants, etc.

Migrower

Migrower

@Sparky75 First the diodes are the exact same just marketed differently. Samsung states so themselves. For the light spectrum they show that on the details portion of their website. I can attest to the quality of medicine they produce. You can look at it yourself on a few threads on here. And you can choose 3k-5k also. I have a few of the 3k and 3500k.

Latest posts

Top Bottom