Sealing UC buckets - Magic Adhesive

• Thread starter redwhiteblue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

We're having a nightmare over here with the new UC 13 gal systems. Maybe we just got a bad batch, but seriously it's a nightmare. We've got dozens of bucket leaks and even the PVC pieces that connect to the return manifolds - which came pre-glued with blue/purple christys glue from CCH2O - have sprung leaks.

Everything has been installed to the "T" following manufacturers specific instructions. We are Commercial Building contractors, we know how to build things right, and we make sure every client job is done 100% perfect. Absolutely zero tolerance for leaks. Go figure we have a major issue building some watertight buckets but have no issues with putting up a 20,000 sqft multi-million dollar commercial warehouse...

So, we tried marine grade silicon on all the buckets. still leaking. Then we tried silicon on every single part, inside and outside, and on the 3" pvc, and it still leaks. Each time, we set the buckets to dry under 1000W HPS lights overnight. We've already lost 5 days on this client job, which means we will lose our asses on the project. Going to take dozens of buckets apart tomorrow and start over.

We have plumbers coming to review the system and make decisions. Plumbers putty has been suggested, however we all know it comes with explicit directions NOT TO BE USED on Plastic or PVC, which means it would be UNLAWFUL for us to use that on a clients project.

We need an alternative that can work on the plastic buckets/fittings.

I found RubberizeIt online, I can't determine if it exists in stores. Says it has no VOC's and is safe for fish, which obviously means its safe for agriculture. It looks like Henrys 9000, but non-toxic. Has anyone used RubberizeIt?

Also looking at Hyperseal from Hyperflex, made with recycled car tires...

Other magic adhesives?

Thanks for any insights, and may you all have fabulous harvests in 2013!

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

google "great stuff sealer" it comes in red and yellow can... my buddy just used it on his round buckets with uniseals that leaked and it has worked fantastic... it really expands when it comes out of the can so be careful and dont get it on your hands gloves are a must..You can even put it where needed and then sand it down if you want so it looks "clean". It is really great stuff lol hence the name

ri420patient

ri420patient

are you using the uniseals or the bulkheads is the floor even

W

Worm254

i have bulkheads on mine and had a few leaks coming from the buckets. i re tightened them once water was in the system. i still had a few minor leaks but once the water warmed up, all the leaks went away (my tap comes out at 42 degrees). really cold water can make the rubber constrict and not form a proper seal. as far as the pvc elbows and such just clean and re glue them, since they don't use a permanent glue on some of their joints, if they get bumped or twisted to hard it can break the seal. that happened to me on my other system when i half tripped over one of the elbows.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Dam that will piss you off, there is no way the glued parts should leak. If they do there are only two reasons, they did not pre-clean and or did not use enough glue. (reasons are for newbies no contractors like you) Plumbers putty works well but as you said no can use. I would just call Danial and he will FedX you new parts as there is no fixing badly glued pipes. I have also found that filling to the top and running for a couple days will allow the systems to settle in and seat, so leaks go away from the unseals and bulkheads . Does not always work but most times it does.

Always make Danial your first call, they have exceptional customer service from my experiences and will fix or sent parts, what ever it takes. If you have issues resolving this let me know and I will get hold of him quick.

Peace

deacon1503

deacon1503

retrofit the bulkheads in and either ask Daniel for new manifolds or say F it and make ur own to get the job done. time is money. deal with the BS after the job is completed and customer satisfied.

Good luck!

ri420patient

ri420patient

im a plumber and was going to buy my own bulkheads but then they came out with there own and for way cheaper plus they have 3 rubber seals they gave me the bulkheads for half off since i owned the system already and it sure made it easier the only prolem i had was i wrapped the buckets before putting together which made it alot harder to get the outside gasket lined up right but only had two leaks in the beginning was an easy fix and been great ever since i would reccommend getting the bulkheads for sure and to still wrap the buckets first just do a few trial runs before obviously good luck

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

We're having a nightmare over here with the new UC 13 gal systems. Maybe we just got a bad batch, but seriously it's a nightmare. We've got dozens of bucket leaks and even the PVC pieces that connect to the return manifolds - which came pre-glued with blue/purple christys glue from CCH2O - have sprung leaks.​
You sure this is a Current Culture UC? Two things:
1) They've been using 3" bulkheads for close to 5 months now.
2) They don't use purple primer to glue, but rather clear primerless glue. Which FYI makes a permanent seal. The specific angles each part is glued needs to be spot on so having them move in shipping is not an option.
Everything has been installed to the "T" following manufacturers specific instructions. We are Commercial Building contractors, we know how to build things right, and we make sure every client job is done 100% perfect. Absolutely zero tolerance for leaks. Go figure we have a major issue building some watertight buckets but have no issues with putting up a 20,000 sqft multi-million dollar commercial warehouse...​
My guess is this is a DIY job.
Consider Waterweld from JB weld.
Purchase some CCH2O bulkheads for your DIY project in the future. Better yet, order Under Currents from CC.
UCE12XL13.jpg

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

We're having a nightmare over here with the new UC 13 gal systems. Maybe we just got a bad batch, but seriously it's a nightmare. We've got dozens of bucket leaks and even the PVC pieces that connect to the return manifolds - which came pre-glued with blue/purple christys glue from CCH2O - have sprung leaks.​
You sure this is a Current Culture UC? Two things:
1) They've been using 3" bulkheads for close to 5 months now.
2) They don't use purple primer to glue, but rather clear primerless glue. Which FYI makes a permanent seal. The specific angles each part is glued needs to be spot on so having them move in shipping is not an option.
Everything has been installed to the "T" following manufacturers specific instructions. We are Commercial Building contractors, we know how to build things right, and we make sure every client job is done 100% perfect. Absolutely zero tolerance for leaks. Go figure we have a major issue building some watertight buckets but have no issues with putting up a 20,000 sqft multi-million dollar commercial warehouse...​
My guess is this is a DIY job.
Consider Waterweld from JB weld.
Purchase some CCH2O bulkheads for your DIY project in the future. Better yet, order Under Currents from CC.
UCE12XL13.jpg

Sorry, but you're plain wrong. I have no reason to BS in this thread. Ive been on the phone with Christian dozens of times over the last days.

Please put the thread back in the proper place.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

And you're right about the clear primerless glue - their glue didn't hold and I had to re-glue the parts that came pre-glued with Christys. Not the end of the world.

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

im a plumber and was going to buy my own bulkheads but then they came out with there own and for way cheaper plus they have 3 rubber seals they gave me the bulkheads for half off since i owned the system already and it sure made it easier the only prolem i had was i wrapped the buckets before putting together which made it alot harder to get the outside gasket lined up right but only had two leaks in the beginning was an easy fix and been great ever since i would reccommend getting the bulkheads for sure and to still wrap the buckets first just do a few trial runs before obviously good luck

They're bone stock from CCH2o - bulkhead on the outside, nut with o-ring on the inside, 3".

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

i assembled the UC system in my room (from the new thread) in about 3 hours... bulk heads are magical.

Had 1 leak that cal-mag plugged.

Thats dope. Can you offer any additional insight? Christian mentioned I should hear a "click" when I put the 3" pipes into the holes properly, but I hear no click. All I can feel is that the holes are just a little too big for the PVC. There is a ton of play in the connections.

Quantum9

Quantum9

The bulk heads slide off the pvc while the glue is wet... You need to use a rubber mallet and beat thos bitches for about 20-30 seconds till they dry.... The inside of the bulk head you should see the pvc coming almost to the very edge of the bulk head..

Dump a few gallons of cal mag in to plug what ever is left over.

ri420patient

ri420patient

i usually just hold them together just like when im plumbing a house all glue joints usually try to slip out of the pipe

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Watch this, it should help.

Honestly, it doesn't help one tiny bit. The buckets leak like a sieve. Not to mention the worst part - when they all seal up nicely, then we run the system for a couple hours, and the small leaks commence...

I appreciate you trying to help!

Top Bottom