Searching for a 4 inch ducted space heater!

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rickcin

Rickcin

I really really don’t think you need a space heater. Put wire shelving in the bottom to keep them off the ground (I just repurposed mine from a cheap greenhouse). That will keep your roots from being too cool. The light will cover your heating needs!!! 16 hours/18 hours of light will bring the heat up enough for it to stay warm while the light is off). I found my plants are fairly good at keeping their humidity and temperature pretty consistent in my basement. I have the same size grow tent. Something to consider is the Mylar, being so highly reflective, helping with efficiency, but also as an insulator. I’d be more worried about circulating air AROUND your grow tent. Do some small oscillating fans, a normal, cheap intake fan, and spend your money on the carbon air filter/scrubber and exhaust fan setup.
Heat and humidity are inversely proportional. When heat is high, humidity is often low and raising humidity will lower temperatures. (The leaves expel water to cool themselves). A super cheap way to raise humidity in your grow tent is literally just a glass bowl of water in the bottom. It won’t solve major humidity issues, but it will help some.
I’m a first time grower and avid researcher and this is just what I’ve gathered that’s helped me the most.
don’t spend money that you don’t have to!
Definitely good information and I appreciate your response and creativity, it really makes sense❗

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What type of lighting is going to be used? Imo if LED your going to want to be in the high 70s and low 80s for temps. Once you start hitting 60s during veg and early to mid flower its going to impact your growth definitely.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Further to the point have a heat mat at 73 will provide the roots adequate temp as having temps of around 80f will give a similar root temp.

The key to temps is keep root and plant temps over 68f and preferably 72-74 but as high as 80 is no issue. Remember that's plant and root temps not air temps. And typically they will be ATLEAST 5 degrees cooler than air temps. The use of a heating mat really changes the usual number so if you have a heat mat set at 73f your air temps shouldn't matter to much as long as the root and plant temps are kept in a good place.

Last edited:
SDJ99

SDJ99

Definitely good information and I appreciate your response and creativity, it really makes sense❗
Oh also I use a Wyze cam ($20) and antonki hygrometer/thermometer (found 2pk on Amazon for $8). I just point the camera at the plants and put the reader in the base of a plant where I can see it from the camera app. I admit, current position isn’t ideal but I can still read it. I also keep my lights on smart plugs (Gosund) instead of traditional timers so I can manually change it when I’m not home.

C43776FF F5D2 4DF7 A955 30B949753114
Rickcin

Rickcin

Oh also I use a Wyze cam ($20) and antonki hygrometer/thermometer (found 2pk on Amazon for $8). I just point the camera at the plants and put the reader in the base of a plant where I can see it from the camera app. I admit, current position isn’t ideal but I can still read it. I also keep my lights on smart plugs (Gosund) instead of traditional timers so I can manually change it when I’m not home.
Really clever!

Rickcin

Rickcin

Further to the point have a heat mat at 73 will provide the roots adequate temp as having temps of around 80f will give a similar root temp.

The key to temps is keep root and plant temps over 68f and preferably 72-74 but as high as 80 is no issue. Remember that's plant and root temps not air temps. And typically they will be ATLEAST 5 degrees cooler than air temps. The use of a heating mat really changes the usual number so if you have a heat mat set at 73f your air temps shouldn't matter to much as long as the root and plant temps are kept in a good place.
Sounds like a tiny in tent heat heater down low might be best but will probably create a need for a humidifier on the other side of the 4 foot tent.

Rickcin

Rickcin

The basement is averaging between 65 and 68 degrees while the tent with a fan, light and heating mat is only 70 or so for the most part.

I guess I need a tiny heater n the tent? How would I maintain a certain temperature since those small heaters will just run constantly when somewhat of a consistent temperature would be best? Perhaps have the heater on a timer to cycle? I just wish there was a simple solution to maintain temperate and humidity!

Rickcin

Rickcin

Get a digital control for your heater.
Okay, I just read about those and guess that is definitely needed to control the heat. So would it be best to have a heater outside of the tent blowing in through the bottom vent or a smaller heater in the tent? I’m also thinking that with a heater I’m going to need a small humidifier in the tent but guess I cross that bridge when I get to it! The tent is 2x4x6 foot high and I’m growing two girls.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The basement is averaging between 65 and 68 degrees while the tent with a fan, light and heating mat is only 70 or so for the most part.

I guess I need a tiny heater n the tent? How would I maintain a certain temperature since those small heaters will just run constantly when somewhat of a consistent temperature would be best? Perhaps have the heater on a timer to cycle? I just wish there was a simple solution to maintain temperate and humidity!
You need to condition the air before it gets into the tent.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

If your really worried about it just get a heater and put it left to an intake fan. Should do the trick. :)

Rickcin

Rickcin

How hard would it be to warm the basement?
The basement is huge, 1500 sf and it’s 9 feet to the bottom of the floor joists.

I was going to order an Inkbird from Amazon for both humidity and temperature. My carbon fan is outside the grow tent so therefore air is drawn in down low and sucked out of the top.

What if I place the heater outside the tent facing one of the bottom openings, is that better than a really small one in the tent? Thanks

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The real issue here is not the temp. It's the difference in temps. Just a couple of degrees difference can cause condensation. That's not good.
Humidity can be a tricky thing. If you can prewarm the air a few degrees to maybe 73-74 then you should have no problem.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can make a small lung room out of just aboit anything to condition the air before its pulled into the tent if that's more feasible.

Rickcin

Rickcin

You need to condition the air before it gets into the tent.
I commented below
Can make a small lung room out of just aboit anything to condition the air before its pulled into the tent if that's more feasible.
The area is at the end of the basement and it’s 8 feet deep and wide, so what about a small fan forced heater (1400 watts) blowing against the narrow side of the tent with the bottom flap open and I have a heat prob from an inkbird in the tent?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I commented below

The area is at the end of the basement and it’s 8 feet deep and wide, so what about a small fan forced heater (1400 watts) blowing against the narrow side of the tent with the bottom flap open and I have a heat prob from an inkbird in the tent?
Yep should help.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If you see an empty washing machine box, grab it and make it your pre-heat room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom