seddlings look a little sick,one week old,any advice?

• Thread starter wtjames
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kootenainatural

kootenainatural

Savage
Supporter
the rooter plugs are a soiless medium so here is how i start my seeds useing coco wich is also a soiless medium

step 1; soke seeds in cup till they sink

step 2; remove sunken seeds from cup and place them in there first home wich for you would be the rapid rooters

step3; take a gallon of water and put 10 mil's of pbp grow ph to 5.8 then feed. My babies get this for the first 7 days of there life then from there i increase my mils as needed

by week 2 my girls are eating about 15 to 20 mil's and im feeding only sunday and watering wednesday

and if your on day 12 you should be up to about 15mil's of feed

well good luck and i hope this helps

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dextr0, thanks for that, please see my edit above.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I was just commenting on the nutes. I don't think that was the problem. I was saying to flush the cubes with clearex or lots and lots of water. Something is in those cubes that the seedlings don't like. The flushing was the Hail Mary. Nobody knows what is wrong so there has to be something in the cubes that needs to get out. The ST will help them recover if possible.

The only other thing it could be if it isn't the cubes is the light and frankly my seedlings don't like my T5s. I put them under florescent tubes until they are a couple weeks old.

It can't be defective genetics. It happened to every seedling of different strains. So it can only be the cubes or the light. Right?

Flush the cubes. Soak the cubes and flush the cubes and do it and do it. Then some superthrive. Then I said water when they are dry. If they are dry in an hour water them. If it takes 2 days water than. I don't care.

You wasted another day and didn't flush. IT's HAIL MARY TIME!!! DO IT!!!

You have nothing to lose. They are going to die. Hopefully you can spark them back to health.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Use distilled water or spring water. Preferably distilled.

D

doBpop

Good catch on the consistent issues, dextr0. I, too, would go with something like a worm casting tea for babies.

I would work the VPD numbers, if it's off that could very well explain the way the leaves are drooping down in such a curved manner. Yellowing this early makes me think they need water, but I've only ever put seedlings into soil, never done it any other way so I can't speak to what problems might arise.

First read this: http://www.autogrow.com/1_information/1_vpd/info_vpd.html
Then use the calculator: http://www.autogrow.com/vpd_calc.php

I would not expect it to help with anything but the drooping/downward curved leaves.

As for overwatering seedlings.... if some of you saw how I do my seedlings I think you'd croak. :giggle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I misspoke above, I said that the yellowing makes me think they need water, I meant to say food. No excuses for that, just too distracted and trying to get a post in before I had to leave for an appointment.

Hey SM snd thanks to you and all for the help!

I am confused by the VPD calculator because when I use 25C (77F) with 73RH (which they claim is ideal) I get the following: VPD: 11.43 Kpa which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above their "ideal VPD" of .85 :sign0065:

Is it or is not the general rule of thumb to simple RH (to the best of my knowledge)
80-100% seedlings clones
60-80% vegging
30-50% flowering

FTR these babies are 14 days (2wks) tomorrow

FTR I tend to agree with the "same problems the second go around" theory.
OK some are saying nutes some say no nutes.
Does anyone have any pics of HEALTHY 2wk olds or can point us to them for reference?
Is there a good reference archive of pics or something somewhere that reflects HEALTHY plants (irregardless of strains, etc) at different chronological times of development that we (and others) can review to compare against for 'normal' development?

ALSO:
Light has been 24/7 since they popped.
Should we let them rest any yet or what and is that possibly playing on these problems?
What are thoughts on that?

As always thanks to all for the help!

ALSO:
SeaMaiden - do you water more or less than the 'norm' in reference to your previous comment? ;)

kootenainatural

kootenainatural

Savage
Supporter
check my grow log i started my seeds with 5 mil's to a gal of pbp

dextr0

dextr0

rsz_dsc03308.jpg

11 days old.

I only give water untill i start seeing a little yellowing of the lower leaves. If i get into the second week and still no yellowing i still give a little EWC tea. I also like Superthrive or something with kelp in it for sick plants or when they have been transplanted.
I usually use Root Riot plugs and i know how they can dry out. Do not let them dry out. Your roots are so small during the first weeks that it is REAL easy to dry all the way out. Especially if u have lights on 24 like i usually do.
Good lucc.

D

doBpop

11 days old.

I only give water untill i start seeing a little yellowing of the lower leaves. If i get into the second week and still no yellowing i still give a little EWC tea. I also like Superthrive or something with kelp in it for sick plants or when they have been transplanted.
I usually use Root Riot plugs and i know how they can dry out. Do not let them dry out. Your roots are so small during the first weeks that it is REAL easy to dry all the way out. Especially if u have lights on 24 like i usually do.
Good lucc.

Thanks dextr0!

Is the pics the root riot's? LTML clones and a soil mix.
Also, are they from seeds or clones?

UPdate:
The split test we did with the nutes - the half WITH the nutes show pronounced perking up and increased green with mostly less drooping than the half without nutes.

They still however look nothing like yours dextr0 at day 11 and ours at day 13 as far as growth! (assuming they are from seed)

As always thanks to everyone for the help!

D

doBpop

check my grow log i started my seeds with 5 mil's to a gal of pbp
Thanks koot!
Wouldn't 10/31 to 11/07 be 8 days instead of five?
Our's were somewhat similar as yours though at that point in the 11/07 pic.

Man did they ever make some dam purty plants though!

dextr0

dextr0

Thanks dextr0!

Is the pics the root riot's? LTML clones and a soil mix.
Also, are they from seeds or clones?

UPdate:
The split test we did with the nutes - the half WITH the nutes show pronounced perking up and increased green with mostly less drooping than the half without nutes.

They still however look nothing like yours dextr0 at day 11 and ours at day 13 as far as growth! (assuming they are from seed)

No the pix are Peat moss and EWC. Half and Half mix. They are seeds and my lighting is way different then yours at the moment but all my seedlings look like this minus the stretch at this time. I usually grow in Root riot plugs tho so i know what your working with.

dextr0

dextr0

Maybe its your plugs man. Have u tried another batch or still same batch??

D

doBpop

Maybe its your plugs man. Have u tried another batch or still same batch??

Three of the trays were new superplug trays and the fourth partial tray was individual dry superplugs left over from the first grow.
They're still the same ones that we planted them in two weeks ago if that's what you mean.

They ought to have them dam ready to plant tray kits DATED though as we had two that were left over from 1st grow and we started planting and I opened one of the old one's and it was old and musky smelling and had white mold on some of the plugs. Bottom of it was slimy. Checked and the other old one was the same way and took them both back and exchanged for new. Makes me sorta wonder what 'new' is though after that!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Post #1

this is only my second grow,i started from seed again with better genetics,but the round leaves are yellow after one week and the leaves seem to be curling down,they just dont look as healthy as the first run,thought maybe a few folks could give me their 2 cents…these are a week old today,no nutes!!! in rapid rooters using plain tap water…thanks in advance

post #3

Hey now and thanks SM!

temp = trying to keep around 76-78 - range 75-80 .
humidity = 40-50% - should be higher I know.

Overall they look fairly healthy just some of them aren't as happy with drooping leaves.

Are the purple stems anything to be concerned with?

Thanks for the help again!​

I am going to assume that WTJames and dobpop are the same person. WTF???

Look at post #1 and then seamaiden ask a question and post #3 dobpop answers it like he forgot he was signed in as dobpop instead of wtjames. Then later wtjames is posting about the grow and then dobpop is later on.

What kind of stupid game is this? If I'm mistaken, but I don't think I am, sorry.

In the meantime wtjames, aka dobpop.... So you think your seedlings are 2 week old seedlings?? They might be chronologically but in actuality they are 2 day old seedlings that have been stuck at that stage of growth for 12 days.

If you didn't do a power flush by now I guess you never will. It would have been simple to do and wouldn't have taken that much time.

And unless you have a good explanation for the hidden identity I am done messing with this thread. You wasted my time, other people's time and ruined 200 seedlings that many people could have done something with.

W

wtjames

and tobor why would anybody waste time playing games? and by all means dont help,i dont mind u asking the deal but your pretty chippy for no reason,seeing as how theres an easy explanation

T

Toes

Well now that that is solved...

Have you both tested the water TDS or just pH adjust the tap??

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
OK! It seemed strange but that explains it.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Why would anybody waste time playing games? I don't know because it looked like you had 2 names and you ignore or have excuses to not follow advice.

I seem chippy? Yeah I was. You looked like a poster with multiple names and also somebody who ask for advise, ignored advice and disputed advice. Well at least you didn't have multiple names.

If you aren't going to listen to anyone's advice (not just mine) please rename this thread

WATCH ME KILL MY SEEDLINGS!

Seriously what was it going to hurt to power flush these seedlings? No time? No water?

Your dad came back with the "I know everything" they are 2 week old seedlings when I said I never put mine under the T5 until they are 2 weeks old. Because technically they are now 2 weeks old but he knew they were under the light since germination.

They are NOT 2 week old seedlings. They are 2 day old seedlings stuck at 2 day development for 14 days. All 2 day seedling rules still apply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom