Seed germination, How do You start seeds?

• Thread starter connoisseurde420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

ah, sorry to hear. was it too much topping, or what happened?

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

CamDawg's method is spot on, that is how I have done it.. then no worries of planting them too deep after they pop.. The only thing I do different is overnight soak in distilled water and I so far get 100% pop.

-----------
Step 1
get a red(must be red) solo cup

step 2
fill with promix and dampen soil

step 3 plant seeds

Super easy give them a week I usually get sprouts in a day or 2

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

n
ah, sorry to hear. was it too much topping, or what happened?
no topping just died over on me after they came up. I never watered but they wilted from the stem at the soil. next time I'm using cubes or solo cups directly.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Ah, that happens to me all the time with pepper/onion seeds/etc from the store, but fortunately never with cannib...

B

Beans

I think sprouting seeds in paper towels is an unnecessary risk. Too many added variables including you f*cking with a tender root. I've had the best luck in rockwool soaked in a nute solution but if the specifics are too complicated rapid rooter plugs work great but you still have to give them something to eat soon. I'm all organic so I soak my rockwool in earth juice. Nevermind what I do or anyone else for that matter buy yourself some cheap seeds of any kind like seeds sold for cat grass, oats, wheat, herbs etc. and experiment. You will learn a lot cheaply. I never did get the soak in water or paper towel thing. If they sprout in paper towels they'll sprout in dirt and as soon as they do they'll be off to a healthier start than waiting for you to put them where they shoulda been already. Just my 02:)

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I tried rocwol and had bad luck with them tho seem like they were stunted as soon as they came up. could have been a couple things tho. just went back to my paper towel for many reasons and today planted a couple. I planted them as soon as there was a tap root poking out, usually i let them grow a bit before planting. but like u said @Beans I don't like to mess with the first root like that. I have popped seeds before just was updating my knowledge

Natural

Natural

I used to love the paper towel method. Had some expensive seeds mush on me. Sometimes it's the seeds when we have problems...some shells are harder..less vigorous. The safest bet is into some peat or coco in a cup. I always use aerated tap for seedlings up until they need food. The cup should be wet, but not water-logged. The trick is to soak the beans in an inch of water 24-48 hours before you place in dirt. I use the eraser on a new pencil to make a hole and get the perfect depth of the length of the eraser tip (about 1/4" to 3/16"). If your tent or whatever seems like it's drying out the soil..even a little bit...you've got to be on top of it with a mister bottle and keep it damp enough. I like to up-pot when I see more than the first set of true leaves. Babies just need more attention until they get some legs. Try not to over-think it and things will go well.

germinator

germinator

I used to love the paper towel method. Had some expensive seeds mush on me. Sometimes it's the seeds when we have problems...some shells are harder..less vigorous. The safest bet is into some peat or coco in a cup. I always use aerated tap for seedlings up until they need food. The cup should be wet, but not water-logged. The trick is to soak the beans in an inch of water 24-48 hours before you place in dirt. I use the eraser on a new pencil to make a hole and get the perfect depth of the length of the eraser tip (about 1/4" to 3/16"). If your tent or whatever seems like it's drying out the soil..even a little bit...you've got to be on top of it with a mister bottle and keep it damp enough. I like to up-pot when I see more than the first set of true leaves. Babies just need more attention until they get some legs. Try not to over-think it and things will go well.

At the cost of the seeds I now buy, I had to start using a fool proof method to find true viability in the seeds.

2gal tote filled with water
Aquarium heater with auto tstat and floating thermometer (confirms temp)
Sandwich Tupperware
Rock wool cube

Pre heat tote water for 24hrs using aquarium heater
Wet rock wool and slice in half place seeds in center cover lightly with top half.
Place inside tupperware (uncovered) float tupperware in tote at a perfect and consistent 78degrees loosely cover tote the condensation will keep you wool moist....ohhhh and pray to the canna gods.

If they don't germ in 72 hrs.....sry.......grower error they tell me.

JohnWayne

JohnWayne

I did not have any issues with the paper towel method. But the suggestions here sure are very helpful just in case.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
I use all the techniques, soaking in water, paper towel, direct in soil etc on young seeds. But when its time to germinate older seeds then its a whole different story. U can try to germinate a 3+ years old seeds as u germinate a 1 year old seed, but I won't guaranteed great success. So imagine for a 30+ years old seeds?

I myself sometimes use surgical tweezers to remove the hull and the placenta (right term?) and transfer the embryo to the proper substrate. It is also a very good idea to use scuffing on hard and stiff shells. The best way IME to soften a solid shell, is to soak them in water with a air pump. having an air stones and str8 tubes in water to have small and big bubbles, this twerk and shake the seeds :). I believe this with the bubbles, penetrate the seeds faster and easier than in stagnating water. Always use a heather when using the air pump. keep the water at 78f when adding the seeds, and let it drop a bit to 75f after 24h.

Sometimes on older seeds I soaked them for 24/48 hours, an if they don't crack open, I use my teeth to crack open them, very gently and careful here, it's not a taco ! This techniques is wonderful. So basically u soak the seeds, get them out, and then crack open those that aren't, and place the seeds in a small kitchen strainer. Wrap the strainer with a small bath towel, and place it right under the the tap water, covering the siphon. Turn on the warm water and let it flow drop by drop over the towel covering the strainer. Keep the temp around 78f in the room if you can. leave for 24/48 hours, and watch the magic.

There's a few techniques to germinate seeds, they are good and easy for young seeds, but seed collectors should always know different techniques to help them crack old seeds. Remember some have taken up to 3 months to germinate 20+ years old MJ seeds. Never give up on seeds they are great value to u. As matter of fact you can give the seeds a good soaking just like you was going to germinate them, but then, let them dry again for a month, a re-soak again, in order to re-hydrate the seeds before you go on full germination.

Last edited:
JohnWayne

JohnWayne

Man, you're a true blue cananbis farmer. In my case, I have not experienced getting to germ very old seeds. None that I know of actually. Soon as I get them beans in my hands, I want to grow immediately. Kind of a sickness or addiction if you may. So far pretty successful in a not so many times i germed.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
@JohnWayne Yeah always better to germinate right away. I forget to mention that when using paper towel In a DVD case or Tupperware box, it's always better to have the box with the paper towel standing vertical, not horizontally, so the seeds will use gravity to germinate. Like this they are in perfect position and have their roots in the right direction, pointing down, and ready to be transplanted :)

JohnWayne

JohnWayne

That's another news to me since I only use plates covering the seeds on the paper towel. Thanks. Seeds pointing down really makes sense. I'll give it a try next time I start with another batch. Can grow only six at a time lol.

kindfire

kindfire

I always soak for 12 hours then sow into the soil not too deep. This has been almost flawless for me. I like not touching the tap root and I don't have to this way. Seed pointy end up in a solo cup. There is some great information on this page.

Top Bottom