Seedling Grew First Leaves And Stopped

• Thread starter Erick31876
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Erick31876

Erick31876

Just like the title states I have a seedling that is almost 2 weeks old now that only grew its fist set of single bladed leaves and stopped growing anything else. The leaves are getting a lot bigger but not growing anything else, if you look down the center of the plant you cant see anything else coming out. This is my first time ever seeing this. Should I get rid of it or give it a little longer to see what it does. The other plants of the same strain and same age I just up potted them to 1 gallon pots. Strain is greenpoint eagle scout. Grown in soil under CFL lights currently
After up putting I move them to my mh and led lights. It looks so wet because I just sprayed it. It is drinking water pretty fast for a seedling. Has anyone seen this before? Any advice?
Seedling grew first leaves and stopped
Seedling grew first leaves and stopped 2

Erick31876

Erick31876

Its weird. I never saw that before. I think I'll let it go another week just to see what happens. I am starting to feel bad for it. Lol. It sees all of my other seedlings come and go out of my seedling tray, and it just stays there doing it's own thing. The leaves are getting bigger but no new growth out of the top

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Its weird. I never saw that before. I think I'll let it go another week just to see what happens. I am starting to feel bad for it. Lol. It sees all of my other seedlings come and go out of my seedling tray, and it just stays there doing it's own thing. The leaves are getting bigger but no new growth out of the top

I have had them. They took an extra week or two and then more normal leaves grew out the center. Eventually you couldnt tell anymore.

But that was my only experience. And it was a couple of seeds from the same pack.

Erick31876

Erick31876

Should rename this to post pics of your mutant seedlings

Erick31876

Erick31876

That's how mine is. The leaves it has are getting bigger and the roots are getting bigger, so hopefully it turns out ok. I really hope so because like half the pack didn't germ due to drowning them by mistake, and another I tried helping it remove the shell and broke it in half and another died so I'm down to 4 of them including this one. And they are regular seeds so I dont know of any are females. I heard a lot of good reviews of that strain and am hoping to get a nice GSC pheno

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It's a 50-50 chance of surviving, IMO. I have had these and they seem to suffer from hatching trauma. It might grow out of it, bit it will most likely stay gimpy and slowly fade away...but that is the fun of the unknown, like old school seeds that make both female AND male plants!
If you have the extra room and the patience, this can be a poster child for gimpy seeds. I had a couple Malawi seeds that hatched, then sat there for weeks doing nothing, much like yours. I ulled it but saved it when I saw a viable root. It was replanted but is tiny compared to the others of it's age. I felt sorry for it so I saved it!

Erick31876

Erick31876

It's a 50-50 chance of surviving, IMO. I have had these and they seem to suffer from hatching trauma. It might grow out of it, bit it will most likely stay gimpy and slowly fade away...but that is the fun of the unknown, like old school seeds that make both female AND male plants!
If you have the extra room and the patience, this can be a poster child for gimpy seeds. I had a couple Malawi seeds that hatched, then sat there for weeks doing nothing, much like yours. I ulled it but saved it when I saw a viable root. It was replanted but is tiny compared to the others of it's age. I felt sorry for it so I saved it!
Lol. I know... I feel bad for it so I leave it sit there soaking up the light hoping it will come out of it. If it dont I might give it to my girlfriend to put with her other house plants and just let it grow as is. Poor little mutant. Lol

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Of all the strains that I wanted to try, Malawi and Jack Herer were the two at the top of my short list. I found seeds, but only about 50% popped and of the two Malawi that sprouted, one was a gimp and I'm hoping the survivor isn't a male. The Jack Herer's worked out a little better, with 2 for 2 popping but sex unknown...out of 3 viable plants, they could all be male..the gimpy one not included. I was given some Gorilla Glu seeds, which all popped and are supposedly feminized, so at least I will have something different. My old strain of Matanuska Thunderxxxx is the one hit with mites, but they are pretty robust and haven't suffered too much damage except to a few fan leaves. I hate dealing with variables...after 30+ years, I had things pretty well dialed in. Different strains mixed with bugs have got me flying by the seat of my pants...lets see how well an old dog learns new tricks! Hopefully, never too old to learn!

Erick31876

Erick31876

Here is a little update to my mutant seedling. It is starting to show some deficiencies in its leaves since yesterday. And now it has a little development.... a new leave coming in from out of the inside. It looks all bunched up but its definitely coming in.
20190405 184202

20190405 184202
20190405 184128
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here is a little update to my mutant seedling. It is starting to show some deficiencies in its leaves since yesterday. And now it has a little development.... a new leave coming in from out of the inside. It looks all bunched up but its definitely coming in. View attachment 864799

You can fill up the cup with soil to like a quarter inch from the leaves for more support and the buried stem will grow more roots.

I fill them up all the way before planting and then about 5 days later when they need water i fill in the compacted space. Definitely helps keep them stout and grow a bigger better rootball.

Erick31876

Erick31876

You can fill up the cup with soil to like a quarter inch from the leaves for more support and the buried stem will grow more roots.

I fill them up all the way before planting and then about 5 days later when they need water i fill in the compacted space. Definitely helps keep them stout and grow a bigger better rootball.
Thank you for the tip. It's hard to tell from the pictures but they are buried about a 1/4 inch from the cotyledon. I did just put a little more soil closer up to it . Any thing to help it along

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thank you for the tip. It's hard to tell from the pictures but they are buried about a 1/4 inch from the cotyledon. I did just put a little more soil closer up to it . Any thing to help it along

Ok. Its hard to see. Next time maybe fill up the cup. Roots grow down and then out so you want them to have plenty of space.

all you can do is let it dry out good then water gently to runoff amd wait again. Patience is what plants want from us i think. We mostly get in the way with our hobby.

Erick31876

Erick31876

Ok. Its hard to see. Next time maybe fill up the cup. Roots grow down and then out so you want them to have plenty of space.

all you can do is let it dry out good then water gently to runoff amd wait again. Patience is what plants want from us i think. We mostly get in the way with our hobby.
I usually do that. And then I have no room to top off the soil when they stretch. So this time I only filled them up 3/4 of the way to leave room to add more soso to bury the stem when they stretch. I need to hurry up and finish converting my shed into a grow area so I can add my t5 light for my seedlings .

Latest posts

Top Bottom