Seedling next step which soil to buy

• Thread starter fordman1991
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fordman1991

I have 2 seedlings just got the 2 leafs I am trying to find the right soil to put them in dont want to spend 30 to 40 dollars on a bag of fox farm is there something else I can use

Newty

Newty

Who is selling Fox Farm for $30-$40 a bag?!

My local prices are $20 a bag for your choice of either the 2 CU FT of Fox Farm Happy Frog or the 1.5 CU FT Fox Farm Ocean Forest. If you buy 4 you get 1 free, mix and match.

They even sell smaller bags that are cheaper but no mix and match or freebies for the smaller bags.

I mix 50% Happy Frog with 50% Ocean Forest.

How big of pots will be using for your plants?

Do you have 2 sets of true leaves or just the cotyledons?

Don't forget to buy nutrients, they are not exactly cheap either.

F

fordman1991

My local prices are $20 a bag for your choice of either the 2 CU FT of Fox Farm Happy Frog or the 1.5 CU FT Fox Farm Ocean Forest. If you buy 4 you get 1 free, mix and match.

They even sell smaller bags that are cheaper but no mix and match or freebies for the smaller bags.

The very first 2 this is like 6th day

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Am I doing anything wrong right now
Honestly I’m too new here to be giving that advice lol! My next move from where you are at right now is just making sure I had something to put those little gals in (probably sooner than later) Keep asking your questions and the smart and kind folks on the farm will guide you : )

Newty

Newty

I use Fox Farm soils so I can't really give a further recommendation on what other soil to use. I'm sure others will come by with recommendations.

Are these photoperiod seeds or autoflower?
Those leaves that are emerging are the cotyledons.
I personally start my seeds in solo cups but when I was using peat pellets, I would let the cotyledons emerge and then once a set of true leaves grew, I would plant into a cup and then once a few more sets of leaves emerged, transplant into my final pot.

What size pot are you planning on using?
What size is your grow space?

F

fordman1991

I use Fox Farm soils so I can't really give a further recommendation on what other soil to use. I'm sure others will come by with recommendations.

Are these photoperiod seeds or autoflower?
Those leaves that are emerging are the cotyledons.
I personally start my seeds in solo cups but when I was using peat pellets, I would let the cotyledons emerge and then once a set of true leaves grew, I would plant into a cup and then once a few more sets of leaves emerged, transplant into my final pot.

What size pot are you planning on using?
What size is your grow space?
Idk what size pot what u recommend I have a big grow tent in my garge they be going in

R

Richs

I have 2 seedlings just got the 2 leafs I am trying to find the right soil to put them in dont want to spend 30 to 40 dollars on a bag of fox farm is there something else I can use
I use 70% Coco Coir (10 lb brick from Amazon), plus Perlite 30%. If I remember, the cost is about $40+. It fills a tub used for mixing grout. That quantity is good for about 8 3 gal cloth pots. I keep it in the basement covered with a trash bag under a blanket. It keeps fresh for a long time. Much better drainage than potting mixes.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

The issue with buying soil or other media online is that it's heavy and costs a lot to ship. Amazon charges $30+ for a two cubic foot bag of Happy Frog because the seller rolls the shipping cost into the price so they can ship it "free" to Prime customers. Soil is the one growing supply that I buy only from local hydro or gardening stores.

chuck88

chuck88

If you want to keep it simple And have total control over feed I can recommend ProMix HP or Sunshine Mix #4, both soilless, ph buffered and no added nutrients.

For feed I recommend either Mega Crop one part (Greenleaf Nutrients) or General Hydroponic's MaxiSeries. Both are relatively inexpensive and are powders you feed by weight per gallon.

BTW > I start my seeds in solo cups and usually transplant to final home at around day 21...

Cheers

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
The issue with buying soil or other media online is that it's heavy and costs a lot to ship.
Most likely so. Nevertheless, Fox Farm's soil isn't available everywhere. I couldn't find it here, so that's why I bought it via Amazon. It's also one of the reasons I decided to reuse it. The good news for me is there's a new hydro store near me that carries some Fox Farm products. The owner knows how to grow, of course, so his advice is solid.

F

fordman1991

Most likely so. Nevertheless, Fox Farm's soil isn't available everywhere. I couldn't find it here, so that's why I bought it via Amazon. It's also one of the reasons I decided to reuse it. The good news for me is there's a new hydro store near me that carries some Fox Farm products. The owner knows how to grow, of course, so his advice is solid.
Rural king sells it found that out

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter

Companies price by area so that's expected

F

fordman1991

These plants will be 2 weeks old tuesday how you guys think they are doing and when should I put them in a 5 gallon bucket

Top Bottom