Seedling next step which soil to buy

• Thread starter fordman1991
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
figolus

figolus

😅 Hello,

I can't advise you, sorry. Many farmers use Foxfarm products. in Europe you can't find a Foxfarm product or it's horribly expensive. we use biobizz, plagron, terra aquatica, platinium, mills and so on, we have the choice between light mix, allmix, batmix.

for seeds that have just germinated, lightmix then around the 3 weeks of growth we repot in allmix until the final pot. after that it’s a choice we continue with allmix or batmix
IMG 20240407 184745

chuck88

chuck88

This is transplant day of my current grow...

31 Jan BAM low

31 Jan Malawi x Panama

31 Jan Cafe Racer

And a trial of how early is too early 😉

Way too early, not enough roots to hold the medium together but she survived...

I Do Not Recommend this early !

31 Jan BAM Two

For scale, this is two days before transplant....

Day 19 BAM

Cheers

katraiter

katraiter

Who is selling Fox Farm for $30-$40 a bag?!

My local prices are $20 a bag for your choice of either the 2 CU FT of Fox Farm Happy Frog or the 1.5 CU FT Fox Farm Ocean Forest. If you buy 4 you get 1 free, mix and match.

They even sell smaller bags that are cheaper but no mix and match or freebies for the smaller bags.

I mix 50% Happy Frog with 50% Ocean Forest.

How big of pots will be using for your plants?

Do you have 2 sets of true leaves or just the cotyledons?

Don't forget to buy nutrients, they are not exactly cheap either.
I use the ocean Forest ($19.99 Sparr Farm supply) normally but grabbed a small bag of Coco coir too this time ( $9.99) ( $23.99) for the large bag), to mix in when I go up to bigger containers. That's the cheapest I have gotten it. Total for my 3 bags was 53.00 However your 4 bags thing , that's a good deal !!

quirk

quirk

The day after sprout I like to TRANSFER my jiffy into a pre-moistened 5gal airpot that contains equal parts of a light, fluffy, well draining FFOF-FFHF-Perlite mix. I use a little Mycorrhiza to help the radicle get established.

Removed
Great White for a great start
Transferred
chuck88

chuck88

Can you give me lighting detail on what I need
What you NEED is up to your wallet 😉

I'm using a 600w MH/HPS light in a 42" parabolic reflector, about $300 Cdn.

5 gallon pails with GroBuckets and ProMix HP. Pails are ~ $7 each, GroBuckets are ~$30 for three, a bale of ProMix HP is ~$45.

Rolling stands for the pails are ~ $15 each.

You also would need two circulating fans and an exhaust fan, I use Honeywell 7" fans, ~$20 each.

I don't care about the smell but if necessary, you would need a proper exhaust fan and filter, maybe another $3 - 400.

And depending on your location, a dehumidifier and/or humidifier.

This is my Cafe Racer @ day 32 of 12/12, topped and trained sideways and still just over 5 feet high !

4 Apr Cafe Racer day 32 of 85

Cheers

F

fordman1991

Do you think I should transplant these has I think they are getting to tall and might fall over please help me thank you

20240413 192750
20240413 192747
Like2Grow

Like2Grow

If you want to keep it simple And have total control over feed I can recommend ProMix HP or Sunshine Mix #4, both soilless, ph buffered and no added nutrients.

For feed I recommend either Mega Crop one part (Greenleaf Nutrients) or General Hydroponic's MaxiSeries. Both are relatively inexpensive and are powders you feed by weight per gallon.

BTW > I start my seeds in solo cups and usually transplant to final home at around day 21...

Cheers

Promix HP can be found at most lumber yards. I got the last batch at Rona in Canada but could have probably found it at Home de Pot ;-o.

Latest posts

Top Bottom