Seedling starting to die after germination

• Thread starter IWOOD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
IWOOD

IWOOD

I have my sprouters in a humidity dome, my place has been cold And and I have a heat mat under my tray of seedlings. All were standing up and seemed healthy now two days later they are wilting and seem like the stem is bent in half on some of the sprouters. I just switch to Coco pith. What am I doing wrong? Is it heat stress? Another thing I’m noticing is the leaves are curling upward?
10F63B28-DB8A-4BEC-8FC9-22BABAF565A6.jpeg

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Not sure what’s going on with the leaves. Have you given them anything except water? Or did they get caught up in the seed shell?
They look a bit stretchy causing them to fall over. Try lowering your light maybe 30%

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
open up your dome holes or take it off for say 15-30 mins every 4-6 hours till you don’t need it..
temps 75..
humidity 65..
lights out than turn off heating mat, turn on again when lights on, lower the light some,
fan for airflow..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
open up your dome holes or take it off for say 15-30 mins every 4-6 hours till you don’t need it..
temps 75..
humidity 65..
lights out than turn off heating mat, turn on again when lights on, lower the light some,
fan for airflow..
domes are more used for clones..
give them zero nutrients when watering..
stretching can be caused by a few things like light distance, ambient room temp being above 80..
the heating mat heating the soil to hot, should be no more than 10 degrees above ambient temp.. etc..

quirk

quirk

Heating mat only until sprout and as stated above, lose the dome and provide more light to prevent the elongation of stem.
Would be a good thing to place them in a container where you can build up medium to within 1 inch/2-3 cm of cotyledons and provide air circulation to beef up stem and taproot. Good luck.

mancorn

mancorn

The mats are just to sprout the seeds, not to keep seedlings warm. (You can just google how to use a seed mat, nothing instinctively special about cannabis.) The heat mats without a temp control can get super hot. Put something between the mat and your seedlings. Or better yet use the mat just as a heater over to the side. If your sprouts are still cold you can use a desk lamp with an incandescent bulb as a heater.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i was just thinking when still using the mat it may help with strengthening them somewhat till their standing up, i feel you need to gradually change the environment, not everything all at once, but yep you guys are right too..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also I'm coco keep an eye on moisture level they dry out quickly, especially with a heat mat.

After the first true leaves I like to feed 150-200ppm. Unlike soil they need a touch of nutes 5-7days after they germinate.

If you mist use the heat mat reduce it to about 72-74f they should be very happy with that.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

To me it looks heat or light stressed.
I also in my cold basement use a heat mat on a thermostat just to keep the root zone warm.

IWOOD

IWOOD

Thank you guys for the help, i have other angles to look into I’m hoping that some of them can recover but not expecting much. Thank you all again

Kneelb4Zod

Kneelb4Zod

Check your heatmat temp. I use a temp controlled one off Amazon, since my old trusty one was getting over 100 degrees.

Are they all one strain? That always seems to happen to my "free" seeds.

IWOOD

IWOOD

Check your heatmat temp. I use a temp controlled one off Amazon, since my old trusty one was getting over 100 degrees.

Are they all one strain? That always seems to happen to my "free" seeds.
In the pic yes same strain. I have the heat mat from Amazon with the thermostat.

Phdaddywolf

Phdaddywolf

In my experience, that's lack of light. I had the same issue with seedlings stretching, the stem thinning in a spot and then it topples over and die. Sometimes I was able to save it when it was getting too tall by sticking something like a straw in and gently tying it to hold it up. Eventually I found that the problem was just the light was too dim and I never had the issue again.

Kneelb4Zod

Kneelb4Zod

In my experience, that's lack of light. I had the same issue with seedlings stretching, the stem thinning in a spot and then it topples over and die. Sometimes I was able to save it when it was getting too tall by sticking something like a straw in and gently tying it to hold it up. Eventually I found that the problem was just the light was too dim and I never had the issue again.
i was just going to suggest that, might just be light strech, put a riser under seeds to bring closer to the light.

Quick tip I just learnd me- Don't fill the trays to the top with coco, only fill half way, when the plant streches, re bury the stem by adding dirt.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

If you look closely, the tips of the new leaves are burnt. I think they are cowering from the light.
What kind of light? What is the distance from the light to the plant?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you look closely, the tips of the new leaves are burnt. I think they are cowering from the light.
What kind of light? What is the distance from the light to the plant?
Yup thats what I was thinking also... seen that before firsthand.

Also IMO stretching is much much more spectrum related.... not intensity unless the intensity is extremely low like ambient light from a window

IWOOD

IWOOD

I knew the stretch was happening. The tips I was thinking light burn. I have a Mars hydro tsw2000 on the setup now. I took off the ts3000. The current distance of the light from the plants are like 4 feet And I still got Lightburn but obviously that’s why I got them stretching

Kneelb4Zod

Kneelb4Zod

I would have just soaked them in H2o until they float away and replant them.

I ALWAYS get stretch no matter what, I see your trays are filled to the top. Next time plant them in a bout 1/2 as much soil and add to cover up stem and support. IDK why it took me 2 years to learn that stoopid trick. I used to twist tie them to toothpicks.

Otherwise you stated they were all the same strain. I wish I would have snapped a pic, I got a bum pack of Bubbleicous and the second ones-all 5 looked like yours, just skinny little stalks. 3 other strains, planted in same cups, water grew fine.

Half of them grew upside down, root poking out of the soil and levees underground. I don't know what part of Chernobyl they got em from but needless to say I don't order from there anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom