Seedling stopped growing and shows weird white growings-result of wrong mykorhiza-application?

• Thread starter mannitu68
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mannitu68

Hello guys.
About 2 weeks ago i started a single seedling, i planned to grow it for a couple of weeks and then, if it looks to have good trades, cut a few clones for a nice little grow. I wanted to take this chance to try out some things, for example ive never produced clones so far. Also i wanted to raise the seedling simply by natural light on the balcony, we have the perfect weather right now, 17-18 hours light, but my balcony lies in a direction where theres only direct sunlight after 1700 in the afternoon, so he doesnt get the full sun right away.

Everything went fine for the first week. I didnt germinate in a towel, i just put the seed 1 cm deep in the earth and kept the soil wet, on the 3rd day he saw the light of day and grew pretty normal. Then, after 5 or 6 days later, i realized he stopped growing and the leaves are turning paler each day. Thats been 14 days now. Its the same soil i always use, i just added about 15% perlite this time. No fertilizer, i kept the seedling humid, everything like it already worked perfectly with my last plants.

Ah and yes, i put a mykorhiza-solution on the soil, with "Great White", that was before the seedling even saw the light of day, just 1 day after i planted the seed. Ive heard contradicting views, if its a good or bad thing to do it that early, but i saw a Youtube video where someone put mykos on the taproot of the seed, while it was still wrapped in toiletpaper and the taproot just broke through, then, the next day, you could clearly see the fungus grew on the taproot. Now maybe that alone wasnt proof for it to be a good idea, but it made me curious.

So i gave it a try, the mykos were able to make contact to the seedling and the taproot from the start. I assume. I really dont know if thats the cause of the problems, but im gonna upload some pics i just took, they were kind of disturbing to me. You will see these white tails, def. not hairs that belong to the poor little guy. At least not all of it. And the white drops. What i dont understand, if its mykorhiza coming out of the seedling, how is that possible under sunlight? I thought they can only survive in soil, in darkness?

this white stuff is very small, you can only see it with a supermakro lense or my USB-microscope. Seedling is about 2 inches tall now.

Well if thats really the reason for the seedling behaving like this, im probably not the first one making that mistake. Or does the problem lie somewhere else?

Seedling stopped growing and shows weird white growings result of wrong mykorhiza application
Seedling stopped growing and shows weird white growings result of wrong mykorhiza application 2
Seedling stopped growing and shows weird white growings result of wrong mykorhiza application 3
Seedling stopped growing and shows weird white growings result of wrong mykorhiza application 4
Seedling stopped growing and shows weird white growings result of wrong mykorhiza application 5
M

mannitu68

man i wish i had you abilities, to give concrete analazyis and all that in a blink of an eye. Wet? Yes i sprayed the seedling every 2-3 hours. But only with 4-5ml water. Just on the surface of the soil. The soil itself dried out completely from one day to another. Cold? nah its summer here and the heat is pretty annoying over the last 2 weeks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

man i wish i had you abilities, to give concrete analazyis and all that in a blink of an eye. Wet? Yes i sprayed the seedlin every2.3 hours. But only with 4-5ml water. The soil itself dried out completely from one day to another. Cold? nah its summer here and the heat is pretty annoying over the last 2 weeks.
What are your night temps? The purpling could be possibly from sunlight but looks to me like cold feet at night. Below 65f at night?

Dont spray the seedlings it can lead to a host of issues including fungal and bacterial infections. Not to mention burn the leaves if it’s in peak sunlight and misting that often

Water the soil to saturate it then let it dry well before watering again.

Try to keep it in a place that has more shade.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

man i wish i had you abilities, to give concrete analazyis and all that in a blink of an eye. Wet? Yes i sprayed the seedling every 2-3 hours. But only with 4-5ml water. Just on the surface of the soil. The soil itself dried out completely from one day to another. Cold? nah its summer here and the heat is pretty annoying over the last 2 weeks.
What concrete analysis in the blink of an eye?

I simply said it LOOKS cold and wet and not handling the light well.

Not much anyone can say that’s concrete with information like perfect weather, kept soil wet, heat has been annoying, then the soil is completely dry… but looks soaked in the pics.

Why do i bother

Last edited:
M

mannitu68

well them temps are like they are in summer. never under 20 degree, most 25-28 C over the day. I spray the soil with a few ml water every 3-4 hours to keep it humid, thas why the soil looks soaked. Usually i only do this in the first week, where the seedling doesnt have good roots yet. Watering 1 time a day, maybe 40ml around the seedling. However 2 hours later everything is dried out again. Each morning its completely dried out. So it does have dry cycles. Theres no change to what i did last time and last time they were happy. Only difference this time is the Great White, so i made this connection. Maybe it isnt that. I planted another seedling and under a microscope i saw, he also has the white hairs. Seems to be normal. Its just they looked so shiny and kind of "slimy" under magnification and ive never looked at it before at this size so it kind of staggered me. Soon ill find out if its a general problem or only a bad seedling.

Does anybody know about the topic of "feeding" mykorhiza? Some people feed them with dextro and molasses. I phantazised that they are eating my seedling because hes too small to produce anything yet :). But still in nature the fungi is always in the ground and theres nobody to feed molasses or dextro. Great White itself doesnt say anything on the package about "feeding" the fungi.Hm.

what could it be? hes clearly not dead but in survival mode. Didnt grow a single cm. for over a week now. Soil ph is 6.4. Same soil that already worked.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The plants feed the myco by releasing sugars,starches and varying metabolites from the roots. That is why you want them in contact with the roots. You do not have to feed them. Imo never add molasses to a media. All it does is artificially inflate the population to no benefit then crash and can cause all sorts of issues like PH dropping and microbes are aerobic so they compete for o2

Watering just around the stem imo is not doing them any favours because roots will not expand into dry soil.

Water the whole pot to saturation, you should not have to water that tiny seedling daily. Overwatering is watering to often not to much and its not the water thats the problem its the reduction in gas exchange causing low oxygen.

Keep in a shaded area during oeak hours of the day

Read this to help understand.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Does anybody know about the topic of "feeding" mykorhiza? Some people feed them with dextro and molasses. I phantazised that they are eating my seedling because hes too small to produce anything yet :). But still in nature the fungi is always in the ground and theres nobody to feed molasses or dextro.
The endomyks absolutely rely on the plant, they cannot exist without it. But it's the plant that will control them, it lures them in and feeds them but only in trade for food. If not needed it will even let these die.
The trichoderma will settle in another place and consume old plant parts and does a great job in preventing the baddies getting a hold. So there's not much to worry in that regard but you need to learn to keep a wet n dry cycle in soil. The soil needs water to work and bring nutrition into solution.

M

mannitu68

the second seedling is doing fine. 4 days old now, meaning he digged himself out 4 days ago. The bad one doesnt seem to recover :(..hes developed a discolouration on one leaf and when i touched it it broke off. Hes 16 days old now. Its weird, it probably doesnt have anything to do with it, but its the first and only time i used Great White and its the only time one of my plants died. I had 1 seed that didnt sprout, yes..but once they broke through they always developed well.

i would gess its some kind of disease, pest, funghi etc. Maybe Great White isnt meant to be used that early. I put the seed in the pot and next day i already used the myko-solution in the soil. before it even really germinated. Maybe in that case the funghi and bacteria of the product arent doing so well for the little guy??

DSCI25111
WIN 20220704 21 56 12 Pro
Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just gonna be blunt. You have a bunch of replies telling you what the issues are and refuse to accept the issue is grower error and not a product. Sometimes being to proud in our abilities to accept that we may have created the issue makes us blind.

Cant help someone who refuses to even look at the possibility they could have done something to lead to the results they are seeing.

So i wish you luck as a fellow grower but it wouldn’t be doing you any favours to just tell you what you want to hear so im out.

High5_it_in

High5_it_in

I water them once, and let them dry out for 3-4 days. I don't like the long stem thing, so I typically fill the pot or solo cup or whatever only half way. If or when they get to be tall and lanky seedlings like that, I'll add soil or if I'm transplanting them, I make it to where the stem is just an 1" -1 1/2" above the soil. Then my next watering I mix a little myko in with water, sometimes I use URB natural instead of myko. I think they like to be drier, mother nature doesn't mist them all day right. If halfway to the next watering I want them to have a little drink maybe I'll spray bottle them lightly with water, but I'm still aiming for watering twice a week
IMG 7984

Seedlings

Last edited:
M

mannitu68

just little update in case anybody wants to know, the seedling started growing again. I think it might become one of the "bonzai-editions", ive already had one last time. I cut off that sick leave, digged him out carefully, i literally got rid of all the soil with a soft brush and potted him in a new 2000ml Pot with new soil. Took another 4-5 days before he finally started to grow again.

Its the one on the bottom, must be about 3 1/2 weeks now. The other ones are 7 days and 12 or 13 days old.

DSCI2514
High5_it_in

High5_it_in

They're looking much better! One of the reasons I like the honor the plant bags is they dry back and get air fairly quickly. Mine are about to get transplanted to 3/4 gal and flipped to 12/12 to find some males

M

mannitu68

them? was actually only the lower one that struggled :) You can already see, allthough he has the most leaves, they grow tiny. Last grow i had a seedling like that, struggled for week in seedling stage and then deceided to never really grow large. He was alright after that but literally a bonzai and only 30-40% of the size of the other plants. Harvest was like 10 or 12 g from it.

M

mannitu68

one more thing, that question is in the back of my mind for months, but i always forgot it: How much "dried out" can Mykos actually tolerate? Now Cannabis loves wet-and-dry cycles, but im sure funghi prefer the wet ones. I wonder if its ok to keep the usual cycle.

Sunasun

Sunasun

one more thing, that question is in the back of my mind for months, but i always forgot it: How much "dried out" can Mykos actually tolerate? Now Cannabis loves wet-and-dry cycles, but im sure funghi prefer the wet ones. I wonder if its ok to keep the usual cycle.
Years, they go dormant during times of drought and then reactivate when conditions become optimal ie moist.

M

mannitu68

hey folks, the seedling recovered nicely, its looking best of these 3 guys. So he lost about 2 weeks time but thats ok. I have a question, 1 plant looks really short. Leaves are all looking very healthy, but 1 plant, hope you can see it, is so flat, it almost looks like an omelett. People say short, dense growth is desireable but i cant imagine how this is supposed to work out. I thought maybe the light is too strong, but then on the other hand, the plant next by is 3 times as tall...hm...there anything i can do?

DSCI25171
DSCI2519
FlyinEagle

FlyinEagle

Too understand what type of soil a pot plant wants i go out in the field and look for tall "milk weed" plants amd observe the conditions. Soil is cold and damp and the plants are exposed for 6 hours of the day. They arent affected by wind and rain.
Stop babying your plants is my point. Sometimes thry grow slow and tiny and lanky or exsplosive.
Just be patient and give them space and love regardless of what they look like.

Use ProMix BX and clay pettets if you want a mycorrizei environment. But not until you transplant it.
Putting a seedling in a huge pot is too overwhelming for it.
It needs the close comfort of walls, why Solo Red Cups are best. you can tip it over squeeze and check the roots.

And blow your CO2 on the seedlings, sing a song to them.
This much i know will give you tastey, sticky, gummy nice burning weed.

Top Bottom