Seedlings Leaves Turning Yellow Inside Out

• Thread starter blake1166
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
blake1166

blake1166

First let me say I was recommended to just restart but Id like to try and revive these if possible as a learning experience. Anyways, I have 3 plants, all are about a week old and I made the mistake a couple days in by overwatering...this is my first grow, but anyways I stunted the growth for a couple days as I also let them dry out. I began to notice the Cotyledons began to die but earlier than usual. I read that all the plants nutrients are stored in the Cotyledons for the first week or so (I'm growing in Coco/Perlite) and so I fed them light nutrients a day early to see if that's why they were dying but no change. The Cotyledons begin to die once true leaves have formed but my true leaves are very small and the leaves on two are beginning to yellow from the center moving out to the tips, I'm not sure if I have a pH issue even though I have pH'ed everything I feel like, or a nutrient problem, or just lingering effects of overwatering so early. I attached pictures of each plant for a better reference. This is my first grow and everything I can find about yellow leaves can be any of my issues...any advice helps, thanks.

Image0
Image1
Image2
RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

i cant remember who, but a member here posted this, and i found it useful to use to get the info folks here like

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?

2. How old are your plants?

3. How tall are your plants?

4. What size containers are they planted in?

5. What is your soil mix?

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?

7. What is the pH of your water?

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")

11. How close are your lights to the plants?

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

14. What is the pH of the soil?

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

16. How much experience do you have growing?

blake1166

blake1166

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
I am growing all 3 from seed.

2. How old are your plants?
The plants are 8 days old from sprouting out of the soil.

3. How tall are your plants?
The plants are about the same height averaging 2 to 2 1/2 inches tall.

4. What size containers are they planted in?
They are currently in solo cups with 6 holes cut in the bottom of each for drainage.

5. What is your soil mix?
I am using a Coco/Perlite 70/30 mix at that I mixed myself.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
Since they're only 8 days old, the coco was already pretty moist from the initial rinse and buffer and this is where my overwatering issue came in, I watered again about 3 days after sprout although the soil was still moist (caused the curling leaves not yellowing yet though). After that I let them dry for a couple days only misting once a day and once the top soil was dry and panicked once the leaves began to yellow so I lightly fed GH Flora Trio and Cal Mag when it was time for the next watering in stead of just water. But I use r/o water for it all.

7. What is the pH of your water?
My water has to be adjusted from the source but I have varied the pH ranges between 5.8 and 6.3 to see if that would change anything.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
I use General Hydroponics Flora Trio and well as their Cal Mag.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
No, only misting pH'ed r/o water occasionally.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
I have a single light setup, its a LED Maxisun PB2000 which I believe is 200 watts.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?
I have just been following the recommended distance given by the light manufacturer at 25 inches off the canopy during the seedling stage.

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
My space is a 3ft x 3ft x 6ft indoor grow tent.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
The temps vary between 70 and 78 throughout the day, and humidity is controlled between 69 and 63 percent.

14. What is the pH of the soil?
I haven't been able to pH the soil because I have not watered with enough runoff in fear of overwatering the seedling again.

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
No, no insect activity.

16. How much experience do you have growing?
I have a solid 10 days experience growing! Lol, I'm very new but willing to learn what it takes to do it correctly. Any advice helps, thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Keep coco moist... it shouldn't dry out. Very low nutrients will do at this stage. Like 150-200ppm. Keep the light intensity low. The lower the you push them with lights the less demanding they will be. They will appreciate RH above 50 and more so at about 60-65% but not the end of the world if it's low as long as you don't drive them to hard with light.

Last edited:
Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

Welcome to the farm. I believe I have your seeds cousin growing. They look alike!

I am 700 bucks into trying to get a seedling to live past two weeks. This site has been a great place to learn and the kindness of the more educated folks has been very helpful. One of the best tools I have acquired is a LUX meter app on my phone, and light intensity will be the next thing I work on. I do not have a LUX number to recommend for seedlings but I suspect it is much lower than my full spectrum LEDs are giving me.

IMG 20210304 102745
RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I have a single 150 watt for my veg tent. At 30 inches away while germinating.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

It’s a covert ufo led from Hydrobuilder.com. Umol rating is 2.1. And veg foot print 2.5 square feet and 2 square feet flower foot print. I have two in my flower tent one in veg tent.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

It looks like you may actually be bleaching your seedling with your light
Yea, that's my thought also. Unfortunately the wealth of light knowledge on the internet seems to be in inch's from plant, Umol's, ppfd's, or watts and I am just another slightly dumb farmer. I found a lux range from 4000-6000 recommended for seedlings and went with that. I have come to the conclusion my full spectrum LED's are still to much at that level and am going to try way lower on the next seedling victims.

Onemorecast

Onemorecast

Yea, that's my thought also. Unfortunately the wealth of light knowledge on the internet seems to be in inch's from plant, Umol's, ppfd's, or watts and I am just another slightly dumb farmer. I found a lux range from 4000-6000 recommended for seedlings and went with that. I have come to the conclusion my full spectrum LED's are still to much at that level and am going to try way lower on the next seedling victims.

I agree, I use t-5 4' bulbs for seedlings and keep them about 2-3" off of the tops of them, they work great. They are fairly intense close to the bulb but intensity drops fast as you move away.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

I agree, I use t-5 4' bulbs for seedlings and keep them about 2-3" off of the tops of them, they work great. They are fairly intense close to the bulb but intensity drops fast as you move away.
Thanks, I am off to Amazon for some T5 lights. Any idea of the spectrum of light you use successfully?

Onemorecast

Onemorecast

I believe they are 5k spectrum. Sun Blaster with the nano reflectors are the ones I use. Had great luck with them over the years for seedlings and fish tank lighting.

I run 2 4' bulbs. But would need more bulbs if you want to veg under them

Onemorecast

Onemorecast

No problem dude! Don't give up its all a learning experience! I think the bulbs are 6400k looking at them

Onemorecast

Onemorecast

Thanks again, I am not giving up. Persistence is something us slow learners acquire over time, and the budget has a lot of room left for more toys.

Starting some new seedlings may be your best bet at this point! They will be slowed down quite a bit and stunted growth likely. Best to get some good genetics from a reputable breeder. Don't worry about feeding them anything but water for the first 3+ weeks of them starting the first set of leaves. Also less water is more, they take just a splash of water to start. Just enough to keep the little area the seedling is with some moisture. Like 50-100ml of water as it dries out. Better to be dry then wet with them Imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom