Seedlings stretching too much??

• Thread starter Jrich831
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jrich831

Jrich831

Hey all my seedlings are about a week old and a few of them are so stretched that they are now fallen over and are resting on the top of the pot. I turn them regularly to strengthen the stalk but now these two are growing like a side ways question mark. The other four are doing great standing straight and tall. I'm curious what I should do should I leave em alone and if I do nothing will that ruin there chance of growing healthy? They are all purplewreck about 3 inches away from the light.

P

paulycali

Tie em to a stick. Give em a little support or something

3" away and they are stretching. What kind of light and color spectrum?

Jrich831

Jrich831

When you plant seeds only fill the pit half way, and slowly fill the dirt up following the true leaves
Awesome good to know!! I was going to ask if I should be adding some more soil ill throw pictures up tonight when I get home. This is my second grow and ill be the first to admit I am a big newb but I'm also constantly reading and asking questions I'm open to all advice and info.

Jrich831

Jrich831

Tie em to a stick. Give em a little support or something

3" away and they are stretching. What kind of light and color spectrum?
The set up is really rather strange and I know it's not the most ideal but until I get my next check I can't afford lights. This is just how I start my seeds.
I dunno what the spectrum of the light is its set up in a night light socket haha.
Also I don't know why the pictures always turn sideways

Jrich831

Jrich831

Also that picture doesn't show the stretching that was taken about 4 days ago

cannabeans

cannabeans

The reason they are doing this is because of the light. They are "stretching" to recieve more light. I would look in some flourescents when you have the money. Also in the picture, it looks to me that the ones on the end are not recieving the same amount of light as the ones right under it...I would move the ones on the end under the light, for a day or two, then shift them around daily. That should help!

Jrich831

Jrich831

The reason they are doing this is because of the light. They are "stretching" to recieve more light. I would look in some flourescents when you have the money. Also in the picture, it looks to me that the ones on the end are not recieving the same amount of light as the ones right under it...I would move the ones on the end under the light, for a day or two, then shift them around daily. That should help!
Thanks for your feed back!! I move their positions every day or two and turn them every few hours I know it's not ideal but it worked last time. Ill be getting my check on the 8th will they be good until then?? You recommend fluorescents would you say t5 would be sufficient? I'm super right on funds and am only planning on 4-6 plants per go

Reactions: Dad
Dad

Dad

I do that same thing to train the stems to be strong , t5s are great better then other shop lights . The stretching is from CFls I keep my starts in a dome and put the lights right on top. You could transplant them if there is no extra room for soil to support the seedling

cannabeans

cannabeans

Yes.... t5 would be a great choice. I would try to keep the t5 as close as possible without burning them.

Jrich831

Jrich831

Thank you all for your input will be buying t5s anything specific I should look for?

vaporedout

vaporedout

when i pop my seedlings i use a couple old aquarium lights. i do cups like you and leave about the same amount of room. for the first couple days i leave the lighting fixture on top of the cups, until my seedlings get about to your size, then i slowly move up the light. i had problems like that for a while, they just want light.

Bannacis

Bannacis

It deff looks like an light issue. I was limited on funds,space and ideal conditions, I used an LED panel.
12" x 12" blue/red spectrum. 255 led's. at only 14 watts. my Purple buckeye seedling ( a 15 yr plus outdoor) did very well. stayed short,nice healthy color. i'll post pics of light and girl, that light prepared it enough to put outside and look like this, all organic (TLO) taisty and stoney.

LED Grow Light Panel 225 LEDs RedBlue T2

IMG 1993

IMG 0356

IMG 0416

IMG 0418

Reactions: Dad
Dad

Dad

It deff looks like an light issue. I was limited on funds,space and ideal conditions, I used an LED panel.
12" x 12" blue/red spectrum. 255 led's. at only 14 watts. my Purple buckeye seedling ( a 15 yr plus outdoor) did very well. stayed short,nice healthy color. i'll post pics of light and girl, that light prepared it enough to put outside and look like this, all organic (TLO) taisty and stoney.

View attachment 300184

View attachment 300185

View attachment 300186

View attachment 300187

View attachment 300188

Nice organic fade :) how much was that led?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey all my seedlings are about a week old and a few of them are so stretched that they are now fallen over and are resting on the top of the pot. I turn them regularly to strengthen the stalk but now these two are growing like a side ways question mark. The other four are doing great standing straight and tall. I'm curious what I should do should I leave em alone and if I do nothing will that ruin there chance of growing healthy? They are all purplewreck about 3 inches away from the light.
IME this happens NO MATTER WHAT. I usually start my seeds outside under The Big Metal Halide in the Sky, and they always do this. Guess what! They grow out of it, no matter what (well, ok, they won't grow out of it if there isn't sufficient light). I say leave them be.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Reading the responses... I think I should do a tutorial on this subject. I think most folks are forced to start seeds indoors, and so aren't acquainted with how they behave under natural light and photoperiod.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Get a couple 18" T8's from your local hardware store, like 10-$15 per light, T5's work great too but will cost more.

Also, get a fan on them, I've noticed with my seedlings when they have a light breeze and you see them slightly sway, it helps strengthen the stems. When I don't have a fan on them, they tend to fall over alot more, but its important to have the fan far away so it only creates a light breeze, you don't want them swinging around too much. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom