Seeds stalling after germination help

• Thread starter The_word
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The_word

The_word

Hi lovely people,

I have been having an issue where my seeds are germinating in the paper towel but stalling once I transfer them into the soil. I have them at about 21c under a lage plastic dome so humidity is fine, and planted in 2cm x 2cm seedling trays. They germinate fine but then once I plant them they stop growing. I use biobizz Light mix and water them @ph 6.3 at 22-23c. It is really annoying me now lol.

Thanks in advance, peace ✌️

Gmix

Gmix

69f ( 21c) that’s one reason.

Room temp water is ok when you do water, cold will shock them making them even slower
they should still grow but real slow.
Try bumping that up to 80f ( 26.7c ) seedlings like it a warmer than full blow plants however even they prefer a temp somewhere between 75f - 80f ( 23.9c -26.7c

I would like to ask what medium your using

Also overwatering will slow them down

There was something else what was it lol stoned … oh yeah your not adding anything bar water are you like nutes when you plant them.

Adding a light amount of superthrive ( b1 ) to the water when you plant them may help.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Can you post some pics?

I'm in agreement with @Gmix. It's either over watering or temperature.

Give up the dome. Seedlings don't need domes. Their roots need oxygen, and if you water them often, they'll die and rot. When this happens, they sit there, looking alive but not growing, which might sound familiar to you. After a week or so of that, they'll sit there, not looking alive.

The_word

The_word

Hiya, I have lightly watered them when I transplanted them to the soil only maybe 10 to 15ml per seedling pot. As they were under the dome that should have been enough for them to stay a little damp. I have upped the temperature now to 85c and removed the dome. Thing is one of them is doing really well and now the other 4 look like they have started to grow into the soil but have not really changed significantly in the last few days as the others have. @gmiI don't add any nutes until they have their 1st set of proper leaves.

Thanks guys

Ps will add some pics in a bit when I go down to see them lol

Trixie

Trixie

If you want to have guaranteed germination use a small cup of soil and weigh it dry and wet. Write the weight on the top of the cup dry and wet weight next to it. When the water weight drops from 275 to 150 grams I water the plants. Never over water or underwater using this method.
Dixie cup plant

Gmix

Gmix

85c I hope not lol
Guessing like us all that’s a typo
& it’s 85f. 😋

85f is quite warm.
Tbh I’d stick around the 80f mark.

How long they been like that.

If your very light handed you can see if the seeds move ( very lightly push them with something ) if they move a lot they haven’t anchored them selves & grown roots.

you can dig them up with a tea spoon if your very very careful to see what’s going on.

Before all of that wait a few days see if they grow

They roots should be growing into the soil that’s a good thing

Last edited:
The_word

The_word

85c I hope not lol
Guessing like us all that’s a typo
& it’s 85f. 😋

85f is quite warm.
Tbh I’d stick around the 80f mark.

How long they been like that.

If your very light handed you can see if the seeds move ( very lightly push them with something ) if they move a lot they haven’t anchored them selves & grown roots.

you can dig them up with a tea spoon if your very very careful to see what’s going on.

Before all of that wait a few days see if they grow

They roots should be growing into the soil that’s a good thing
Yes f hahahaha I upped the temp yesterday so let's see. I just don't get how would be doing well and the rest be how they are 🤔

As always thanks for the advice, I will see what happens over the next couple of days

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Good morning.

You say you pop them in paper towel and then plant in soil. How deep in soil are you planting them?

Once a seed pops and the root is about 1/4” or more I make a hole in my soil or peat puck and drop it in root down. The seed sits no more than 1/4” deep in the soil and I don’t pack it down.

Make it damp by light spray or small water drops but try not to hit or move the seed.

I use a dome and it’s fine as long as you didn’t over water. Keep warm, 20*c to 24*c works for me. 90% RH in dome.

I use tap water that has sat for 24hr or more. No nutes.

Before paper towel i put in a small cup with warm water for 24/48 hours. Some pop in less than 4hrs. I’ve never added anything to the water.

If you didn’t plant to deep, over water, or add something that’s slowing things down just take a step back and wait a few days.

Hardest thing is patience & doing nothing when everything else is done.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
the paper towel method needs to go away and be forgotten about!!..
probably your reason why, and too much handling..
i have 100% success still to this day germinating by putting seeds in a glass of room temp tap water with hydrogen peroxide around a strength of
6-8% and let seeds sit in there for 10-12 hrs, doesn’t matter if they sink or float..
in the meantime i’ll get tiny shot glass size pot/cup fill with promix hp or any medium, near the top where the seed will go i make a bed of peat, when 10-12 hrs is up i’ll scoop seed out of the cup with a spoon and place on peat bed and cover up with more peat and promix..
put that on a tray with holes or something to keep it with something between the seedling and the heating mat and put under a light with normal hrs of 18/6 and plug the heating mat into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off..
i’ve gone 6 weeks without ever touching the seed or plant with my hands or fingers..
not that it matters, just my little challenge of how long i could go without ever touching the plant..
the paper towel probably ripped off root hairs.. that method was ok back in the day when seeds were free in a bag of weed you bought, but now paying for seeds like it is, No way in hell should seeds be germinated in a paper towel..

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

the paper towel method needs to go away and be forgotten about!!..
probably your reason why, and too much handling..
i have 100% success still to this day germinating by putting seeds in a glass of room temp tap water with hydrogen peroxide around a strength of
6-8% and let seeds sit in there for 10-12 hrs, doesn’t matter if they sink or float..
in the meantime i’ll get tiny shot glass size pot/cup fill with promix hp or any medium, near the top where the seed will go i make a bed of peat, when 10-12 hrs is up i’ll scoop seed out of the cup with a spoon and place on peat bed and cover up with more peat and promix..
put that on a tray with holes or something to keep it with something between the seedling and the heating mat and put under a light with normal hrs of 18/6 and plug the heating mat into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off..
i’ve gone 6 weeks without ever touching the seed or plant with my hands or fingers..
not that it matters, just my little challenge of how long i could go without ever touching the plant..
the paper towel probably ripped off root hairs.. that method was ok back in the day when seeds were free in a bag of weed you bought, but now paying for seeds like it is, No way in hell should seeds be germinated in a paper towel..
agree seems to be the standard

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
agree seems to be the standard
No way man...It's my go to method paper towel all the way😄 I' have it down and when they pop and grow a tail I plant in pre wetened Promix with the head above the soil, tap in place with pencil like tool then drip water around the seedling to seat it in its new home. Not on the seedling just enough so it sets the soil on the tail...

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I’ve never tried but hydrogen peroxide will accelerate the germination of your cannabis seeds. Just add 1 ml of hydrogen peroxide to every 100 ml of water.

Water might make a difference where you are. I’ve used tap, bottled & distilled. Success and fail with all about the same.
A popular seed company I purchased from had a germination technique that said if you used their method they guaranteed the seeds . #One was to use Spring water to soak overnight or no guarantee. I've been using it ever since 1 gallon $0.99 last a long time.

The_word

The_word

I’ve never tried but hydrogen peroxide will accelerate the germination of your cannabis seeds. Just add 1 ml of hydrogen peroxide to every 100 ml of water.

Water might make a difference where you are. I’ve used tap, bottled & distilled. Success and fail with all about the same.
The tap water is good quality and I water @6.2ph @22 - 23c 🤞🤞

Gmix

Gmix

Your in soil right
Up the ph by one sounds silly but In ph terms 1 = 5

Soil likes it at anywhere between 6.3 & 7

I think the tap roots may have died if it hasn’t grown yet and contrary to the over watering it might have dried up.
A look at the tap root will tell you.

Honestly I’ve dug up seeds & replanted them it’s not as bad as some will make out.
It’s 100% not what you want to be doing however if it’s sat like that for days without growing I’d have a look at the tap root.

Just don’t make a habit out of it 😉
Good luck again bud

Top Bottom