Seeds stalling after germination help

• Thread starter The_word
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I should of read his reply better
I use the same soil as you are & I don’t feed for the first few weeks & that’s lightly. There’s enough nutes in the soil to last you a 3 weeks or so. Well spotted @Edinburg

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Going from 90 RH in a Dome to reg level of humidity will shock seedlings just like it will clones, and seedlings that small and young dont take stress well. Plant in larger pots 3x3 min i like 1g, with peat dominate starter mix, saturate fully before planting, plant no more than 1/2 in deep mostly shooting for 1/4in or 3/8in deep. lightly sprinkle dirt on top and water in with sprayer. Spray water as needed for the next week till they are all up and need real waterings. Start foliar feeding at second real set if you really wanna get crazy. water. plain water is fine for your first month. simple. paper towel method is totally workable, so are pucks and starter pods etc etc....................if you wanna waste your time and money and risk your seeds....soak 12-24 hours or until tails pop tiny lil bit or even seeds crack. then drop in tiny hole....sprinkle dirt...water down dirt with spray bottle...seeds are seeds and know how to grow, its us who dont really have that same skill set lol

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

the paper towel method needs to go away and be forgotten about!!..
probably your reason why, and too much handling..
i have 100% success still to this day germinating by putting seeds in a glass of room temp tap water with hydrogen peroxide around a strength of
6-8% and let seeds sit in there for 10-12 hrs, doesn’t matter if they sink or float..
in the meantime i’ll get tiny shot glass size pot/cup fill with promix hp or any medium, near the top where the seed will go i make a bed of peat, when 10-12 hrs is up i’ll scoop seed out of the cup with a spoon and place on peat bed and cover up with more peat and promix..
put that on a tray with holes or something to keep it with something between the seedling and the heating mat and put under a light with normal hrs of 18/6 and plug the heating mat into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off..
i’ve gone 6 weeks without ever touching the seed or plant with my hands or fingers..
not that it matters, just my little challenge of how long i could go without ever touching the plant..
the paper towel probably ripped off root hairs.. that method was ok back in the day when seeds were free in a bag of weed you bought, but now paying for seeds like it is, No way in hell should seeds be germinated in a paper towel..
paper towel works good for me
IMG 20230113 192141994

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Going from 90 RH in a Dome to reg level of humidity will shock seedlings just like it will clones, and seedlings that small and young dont take stress well. Plant in larger pots 3x3 min i like 1g, with peat dominate starter mix, saturate fully before planting, plant no more than 1/2 in deep mostly shooting for 1/4in or 3/8in deep. lightly sprinkle dirt on top and water in with sprayer. Spray water as needed for the next week till they are all up and need real waterings. Start foliar feeding at second real set if you really wanna get crazy. water. plain water is fine for your first month. simple. paper towel method is totally workable, so are pucks and starter pods etc etc....................if you wanna waste your time and money and risk your seeds....soak 12-24 hours or until tails pop tiny lil bit or even seeds crack. then drop in tiny hole....sprinkle dirt...water down dirt with spray bottle...seeds are seeds and know how to grow, its us who dont really have that same skill set lol
risk your seeds by soaking?
never wait till it’s cracked or showing a tail,

TSD

TSD

I start by soaking in a glass with a few drops of peroxide and they usually pop within 2 days. If they are being stubborn they get the paper towel treatment because they can start to rot if they soak too long. Paper towel is ok as long as you get them out of it before they start getting root hairs and attaching to the towel... so like as soon as a little nub comes out, I put them in the dirt. Definitely near impossible to remove them from the towel without pissing them off once they have a legitimate root going and think they towel is dirt the need to get into.

sambapati

sambapati

I start by soaking in a glass with a few drops of peroxide and they usually pop within 2 days. If they are being stubborn they get the paper towel treatment because they can start to rot if they soak too long. Paper towel is ok as long as you get them out of it before they start getting root hairs and attaching to the towel... so like as soon as a little nub comes out, I put them in the dirt. Definitely near impossible to remove them from the towel without pissing them off once they have a legitimate root going and think they towel is dirt the need to get into.
Have you tried unbleached coffee filters? They are tougher than the paper towels and more slippery. Agree with soaking with peroxide 24 hours then.....

E

Edinburg

Me I put in a cup of warm water with a few drops of botanacare pro grow till they sink, then I have paper towels that have no scent or diy, after they sink I re wet with the water in the cup, all my beans are ready to show in 24 hours mostly.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you get them off the towel within a couple of days Its not too hard to remove them from the towel.......3-4-5 days...lol good luck it'll have grown through the towel. Best to plant with the towel in that case, cut off the waste, cover it with soil and let her grow...

I plant in solo cups with the heads above the ground and only water around them, not on them to seat the soil onto the root....no dome for seedlings 78f and low light for the first week - 10 days @ 65% - 70%

I've never used peroxide but after reading ya'lls above I'm wondering why ...I'm not sure that with store bought spring water its needed as a sterilizer so what's the deal withusing it?

simonkay

simonkay

Can you post some pics?

I'm in agreement with @Gmix. It's either over watering or temperature.

Give up the dome. Seedlings don't need domes. Their roots need oxygen, and if you water them often, they'll die and rot. When this happens, they sit there, looking alive but not growing, which might sound familiar to you. After a week or so of that, they'll sit there, not looking alive.
Do you have to worry about humidity yet? Ive just popped some yesterday and took the dome off now

simonkay

simonkay

the paper towel method needs to go away and be forgotten about!!..
probably your reason why, and too much handling..
i have 100% success still to this day germinating by putting seeds in a glass of room temp tap water with hydrogen peroxide around a strength of
6-8% and let seeds sit in there for 10-12 hrs, doesn’t matter if they sink or float..
in the meantime i’ll get tiny shot glass size pot/cup fill with promix hp or any medium, near the top where the seed will go i make a bed of peat, when 10-12 hrs is up i’ll scoop seed out of the cup with a spoon and place on peat bed and cover up with more peat and promix..
put that on a tray with holes or something to keep it with something between the seedling and the heating mat and put under a light with normal hrs of 18/6 and plug the heating mat into timer to come on with lights on and off with lights off..
i’ve gone 6 weeks without ever touching the seed or plant with my hands or fingers..
not that it matters, just my little challenge of how long i could go without ever touching the plant..
the paper towel probably ripped off root hairs.. that method was ok back in the day when seeds were free in a bag of weed you bought, but now paying for seeds like it is, No way in hell should seeds be germinated in a paper towel..
So you put it under a light the moment you plant the seed?

Top Bottom