Sell My 15 Raptors Vs. 10 De Systems?

• Thread starter Burned Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Sell previous Hoods and get DE? 15 old vs 10 DE

• Total voters
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

Not disputing your facts regarding LI or PL, you're clearly more in the know than I am.

Being said, would an open reflector not be a better option for a space such as his? Especially running 10 lights as he proposed?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Not disputing your facts regarding LI or PL, you're clearly more in the know than I am.

Being said, would an open reflector not be a better option for a space such as his? Especially running 10 lights as he proposed?
They are a better alternative when growing only TOPS but yes, you can utilize the over lapping light. Also, because their spread is so great you can get them much closer to your plants then a closed reflector.

DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez

So again, to clarify.. (Just so I'm not a misled consumer misleading others)..

Assuming he wanted to run 10k in a 15x30 room (like he stated) and was not growing huge plants, would the epap open style be a better fit?

AND would 10 DE fixtures outperform 15 raptors? (Which was part of the original question). I actually don't think so now. 12 maybe but I doubt 10.

B

Burned Haze

So again, to clarify.. (Just so I'm not a misled consumer misleading others)..

Assuming he wanted to run 10k in a 15x30 room (like he stated) and was not growing huge plants, would the epap open style be a better fit?

AND would 10 DE fixtures outperform 15 raptors? (Which was part of the original question). I actually don't think so now. 12 maybe but I doubt 10.

correction on my rooms lights "working " feet since I will have my light controller & (2) water/feed 55gal rez's and accessories . I think it will make my working grow area now around : 15ishft x 20ish ft instead of 15.5 wide and 30ft long

grow specs
Before I ran 10-20 gal root-pot's (4-6) per light with multiple rows and middle light on a light mover.
future: I want to do ethier non-moving rowed beds ( then there's walking
ways )or on wheels beds (example for just their bed design : https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/20-light-25-plant-screen-of-green.46308/) = and then you have a PURE SOG and then i can move the table to front get in and water like grow stated above. I built a smaller version for my flow and grow but the wheels failed so I def need to learn from that lol.
medium : coarse coco & perlite

?"s
* still 12 lights as suggested above to conquer 15 600w air-cooled lights? does not seem so underpowered to me, but I'm no DE master & I don't wan't B grade.
* In those specs, Does everyone still suggest the same brands and same amounts of lights as before.

i'm impressed by the info stated , I pretty sure i'm selling my previous stuff but i need to figure out what brand now cause theres def cheaper choices for full DE systems as well or the main brands ( not a cheapy but not a richy ethier ;)) .

-BH

Last edited by a moderator:
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

At this point, anything NON Air-Cooled will outperform your current setup. Cooling a bulb allows it to run at a much lower temp then it's designed for, in return you get less intensity.

If you meet or exceed your current wattage with DE's you will drastically increase your outpoint. Obviously I can't say yield because I don't know what kind of grower you are and do not want to over promise

Honestly, I know they cost more but why not go with the AC/DE? You can air cool the radiant heat produced by the bulb allowing you to run much less A/C. And I have a customer running a sCrog under 12,000 watts in AC/DE's hitting over 3# per light on SFV and he can drop them to 32" from canopy without issue.

E-paps could possibly do the same production without the unique Air-cool feature that the AC/DE has.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

B

Burned Haze

I get hortis for $50 out the door. What's a genesis go for?

The thing is I was doing ushio bulbs for $50-60 (600-1000watts)

The threads all over on forums about how which brand beats which on DE. It's just I keep seeing broad and hating sides cause there's def info or others stating the otherwise on same stuff . Opinions or facts. ;)

Main reason I made this thread was to figure out what brand of full fixture for my size of room , But also company reliability , product quality last ( not that I've had many ballast failures )

So...same answers as above in this thread (brands & #"s)?
I think I will do 10 lights first run and add 2-4 after I see what I need to do for improvement .

Beg I thought epaps and now Nano sounds best deal right now ( sold out a lot of places thou)

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I can only speak from actual experience, I have run Epaps, Gavitas Classics and E's , and Nanolux, although I am just starting out on the Nanolux's now so I will let you know in a couple months about the actual performance in the rooms. In practical use and application you will not notice any difference between the fixtures and specific lamps but the Epaps did not hit the same numbers in the bags/on the scales and I did not get the same canopy penetration from them as I do the Nano's and Gavi's.

When you put the light meters under the bulbs with the same wattage setting and same distance there is virtually no difference in the foot candle output, there is a very very small difference in the foot candle output in the overlap footprint areas but not enough to really even note. The huge jump is from traditional hoods and bulbs and DE. At 24" from the center of the bulb on a traditional Extrasun or XXXL hood with no glass, a new Hortilux Super HPS puts out approx 2100-2200 foot candles and at 48" from the center of the bulb on a Gavita you get 4600-4800 foot candle output, over double the output and twice the distance...the overlaps on the Gavitas where at 4900-5100 foot candles. One other thing, my rooms actually run cooler with the DE style fixtures than they do with the old school sheet metal hoods, my a/c do not cycle near as much as they used to.

B

Burned Haze

Well boys and girls ! I preordered and my new lights will be here in a week or 2 :)

Decided nanolux complete (10) to start and then 2-4 more after one/two rounds in my room .

B

Burned Haze

@DDon
I choose these bad boys because :

Nanolux's reflector compared to the competition coverage ( wish I could see one in person ) and since it's around $400 instead of $500 per unit . Not worth it for the % and quality difference when I haven't heard anything bad about nanolux's stuff and a lot of good on previous stuff and newer stuff.

Some info presented from the maker for the fixture:

Once I receive my units and have some news to inform. It will be here & and a journal :)

B

Burned Haze

Well I received my 10 nanolux fixtures & a 16 light controller since i probably upgrade to 15 -16 lights . I just need to finalize the floor and seal it to walls( Waiting on the temps). Then I will panda film ! Since I'm not doing this 1st test round in this room I'm going to do it this mid fall ( plus i'm a OD guy ;) )
I want sum advice on A/C? Since I've always air-cooled and used outside ducting with a probe , I've never used much a/c since i wanted as much wattage for my lights and others things ( fans, c02, environment needs )

I was thinking 10' inch ducting in middle of room with two 800cfm fans with a temp- probe set to 79-82 ( cut holes w/e you want specific airflow , or install metal shooters ) and c02 1000-1500 , depending on week of flower.
* lots of wall fans per 12-18 inches

So my question for a 15.5W x 30L x 10Tall : Good option ?

or suggestion a/c boy and girls with ducting with outside ( no summer growers )

Well pictures and real updates soon :) MAN I'M EXCITED since those raptors can kiss my ass

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

@DDon
I choose these bad boys because :

Nanolux's reflector compared to the competition coverage ( wish I could see one in person ) and since it's around $400 instead of $500 per unit . Not worth it for the % and quality difference when I haven't heard anything bad about nanolux's stuff and a lot of good on previous stuff and newer stuff.

Some info presented from the maker for the fixture:

Once I receive my units and have some news to inform. It will be here & and a journal :)
Few things to keep in mind.

-When DE's are overclocked AMP draw will be 5.2, a standard controller will not work, unless you over size it.

-NEVER trust what is written on a manufacturer's website

-Please read through @Billyboat newest grow log

-Which bulb is in your fixtures? Nano or Ushio?

Top Bottom