Seltzer Water for Co2 enrichment

• Thread starter LexLuthor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Howdy farmers, I seen a video on Youtube where this grower sprayed his plants with plain seltzer water (carbonated water) instead of using a Co2 tank. I'm gonna try it on a few plants my next grow to see if I can notice any difference.

I want input from anybody, it doesn't matter if you tried it or not, so I just want opinions if it would work and if anybody is into science would it be plausible for plants to absorb Co2 through water on there leaves instead of air.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Good question. I've wondered the same thing, and saw the same video. I believe calcium carbonate Asa foliar serves a similar purpose. I believe increase grow and bloom are carbonated. They actually come in soda bottles!

outwest

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think its possible because the plant takes in Co2 through air, so if water is on the leaves I'm sure it can get absorbed. It might not be as efficient as using a tank, but every lil bit counts.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I wasn't kidding about the soda bottles.

outwest

Grow bloom sf

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Oh shit, I've never seen that stuff before. Thats kinda weird now that I think about it.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My two cents on foliar spraying your plants with carbonated water is that you're not likely to see any benefits from the carbonation relative to CO2 takeup, but it's a great way to raise the pH of the leaf surface, and thus make it less hospitable for powdery mildew. Or you could just get some calcium (or potassium) carbonate and foliar with that to get the same effect...

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

My two cents on foliar spraying your plants with carbonated water is that you're not likely to see any benefits from the carbonation relative to CO2 takeup, but it's a great way to raise the pH of the leaf surface, and thus make it less hospitable for powdery mildew. Or you could just get some calcium (or potassium) carbonate and foliar with that to get the same effect...

I honestly don't know so could you elaborate on why you believe its not possible? Does Co2 dissolve in water like oxygen? If so, could it be that Co2 has to be in a gaseous form to be taken up through the leaves?

Thanks for the tip on PM, I didn't know that.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I didnt say anything about it not being possible, just not practical- kind of like housemoving with a 350Z. Possible, yes- practical... no.

If the plant you're trying to add CO2 to is in a small box then maybe it will work. The problem is that the amount of CO2 in soda is negligible compared to the air volume of the room you're standing in. Since it's a gas, you HAVE to take the whole room into account. Even if you're pouring the carbonated water onto the plant, that CO2 will immediately dissipate into the room air and mix.

The BEST way to get maximum CO2 to your plants is to raise the humidity to VPD recommended levels. This allows the plant to keep its stomata open without fear of dehydration and take up more Co2. Once oyu have VPD well in hand, THEN augment CO2- with whatever method- and you'll see good results. Adding CO2 to plants in a less than ideal environment is like pouring seltzer water on your shrubs- it's pretty much a waste of money.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I didnt say anything about it not being possible, just not practical- kind of like housemoving with a 350Z. Possible, yes- practical... no.

If the plant you're trying to add CO2 to is in a small box then maybe it will work. The problem is that the amount of CO2 in soda is negligible compared to the air volume of the room you're standing in. Since it's a gas, you HAVE to take the whole room into account. Even if you're pouring the carbonated water onto the plant, that CO2 will immediately dissipate into the room air and mix.

The BEST way to get maximum CO2 to your plants is to raise the humidity to VPD recommended levels. This allows the plant to keep its stomata open without fear of dehydration and take up more Co2. Once oyu have VPD well in hand, THEN augment CO2- with whatever method- and you'll see good results. Adding CO2 to plants in a less than ideal environment is like pouring seltzer water on your shrubs- it's pretty much a waste of money.

Gotcha, do you have any websites off the top of your head that explain about ideal VPD?

K

kushsmoker30

nothing like reading stuff to make me laugh in the morning...or afternoon 4 that matter

G

growgirl81

I have used soda water as a co2 supplement for years in all of my gardens and do see improvement in performance of the plants. Have NEVER foliar sprayed it as it is inviting is various issues in the function of the leaves. I slowly let it gulp-gulp out of the bottle as i water it in. Have used it on a variety of plants outdoors in high altitude and actually produced heartier fruits and vegetables using this method. As an ideal environment is being created indoors, the benefits of using a tank is far more efficient. However, there is something to be said for 88 cent soda as a sparsely administer supplement.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I have used soda water as a co2 supplement for years in all of my gardens and do see improvement in performance of the plants. Have NEVER foliar sprayed it as it is inviting is various issues in the function of the leaves. I slowly let it gulp-gulp out of the bottle as i water it in. Have used it on a variety of plants outdoors in high altitude and actually produced heartier fruits and vegetables using this method. As an ideal environment is being created indoors, the benefits of using a tank is far more efficient. However, there is something to be said for 88 cent soda as a sparsely administer supplement.

I'm not clear how you apply it. You water it in?

outwest

G

growgirl81

Yes. Just open it toward the bottom of the plant and apply it around the base, allowing it to fizz up on top of the soil. Have used it on a variety of things as I was a sea level gardener who moved to 8K. HUGE difference in my vegetable, floral, and medicinal gardens. So, I tried it, noticed a difference. This is a supplemental and not to be overly used. But, from time to time, they seemed like they were choking to breathe. It's more akin to a human visiting an oxygen bar than to being hooked up to a machine that keeps you in good supply. But, just like my grandma at altitude, the plants do benefit from that little boost to their system.

K

kushsmoker30

I know its hard to tell if someones being sarcastic, but I was.

no worries bro, u have to admit that comments is funny as hell.

when i was a kid we came up poor my mom would buy me swapmeet pants wit rips n iron patches in place n send me to school, i was into everything running, climbing n fighting my shoes would rip n get wet n i would still have to rock them stinky shit 4 a min till it was time 4 new 1's. i remember when tacobell had a sale/deal on tacos on sundays n wensdays 29 cents n 39 cents we would go after church n " DO IT BIG" with 20-30 tacos LOL. so u can c why i busted my ass laughing, it's ku tho those tuff times made me what i am today n i no longer have fucked up shoes:).

common sense says it will work, it's jus a matter of how good

K

kushsmoker30

sup OGONLY i C u bro, hope all is well. 1 of the 1st farmers on here to take time out to shoot me lots of game i would PM him fequently asking ?'s him n ChemChris deff helped me out alot a year ago with there reply's thanks guy's deff appericate it, hope u guy's have a blessed year. Peace

Latest posts

Top Bottom