Shady's Moment of Clarity... Under Current: Cultured Solutions

• Thread starter Shady
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UNITEDGROOVES

UNITEDGROOVES

Hell ya! Shady you killin it over there.. those buds shots are sick, and the UC is blowin up.. That ghost, WIfi, And white S1 are stackin big time.. How is that Ghost smellin for ya? Will be giving her a go next round.... Quick question, I was checking out your Shady Business UC run and that shit was off the hook.. How would you rate the ogees from that run? Thanks bro!

ttystikk

ttystikk

So I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but am I reading your updates right, in that you're running just 175 TOTAL ppm in the UC? I had plants showing every deficiency in the book when I ran anything under 700ppm...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Perhaps you confused burning the shit out of them with deficiencies? You can finish a crop under 1000ppm.

LOL no, I did that too, but the ppms were higher. Then I had other problems (nutes, pH). Then as soon as I chased those down, I got root rot. So, I changed tactics and now I'm running 50/50 coco/hydroton. Already things are a smoother ride for me- I'm here to figure out what I did wrong before.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

LOL no, I did that too, but the ppms were higher. Then I had other problems (nutes, pH). Then as soon as I chased those down, I got root rot. So, I changed tactics and now I'm running 50/50 coco/hydroton. Already things are a smoother ride for me- I'm here to figure out what I did wrong before.

If I recall reading your grow journal, you reported running the jack's professional line in your RDWC. Though it clearly has available the majority of mineral elements needed for plant growth, these low cost/quality bulk ferts often have impurities that reflect poorly on plant health. These types of ferts are also typically not formulated with the minerals in proper ratios to one another. Its often necessary to run higher ppm's to achieve proper levels of one mineral, while often reaching toxic levels of other minerals as a result.

One key to a good nutrient is having all available elements in the ideal ratios relative to one another. When these relationships are ideal, plants needs are met even at very low EC. Much like dialing in the equalizer on a quality stereo, your able to hear all the tones well articulated even with the volume at lower levels.

These nuances in fert quality will often go unnoticed in most growing applications. But from my experience, in water culture the quality of ferts are exploited exponentially due to the intimate contact the roots constantly maintain with the solution.

My guess is that these impurities and ill mineral ratios may have plagued your grow causing plant stress, pH fluctuations and ultimately root damage that then allowed for the onset of pathogen outbreak. You'd also previously mentioned the quality of your buds leaving you and your patients disappointed, I suspect this too to be a result of cut rate ferts leaving residual unused salts behind in the plant tissue.

After all, your plants are what they eat.

In the event you run RDWC again, you may consider using a higher quality/cost nutrient in an effort to achieve better results and make the most of your efforts.

ttystikk

ttystikk

If I recall reading your grow journal, you reported running the jack's professional line in your RDWC. Though it clearly has available the majority of mineral elements needed for plant growth, these low cost/quality bulk ferts often have impurities that reflect poorly on plant health. These types of ferts are also typically not formulated with the minerals in proper ratios to one another. Its often necessary to run higher ppm's to achieve proper levels of one mineral, while often reaching toxic levels of other minerals as a result.

One key to a good nutrient is having all available elements in the ideal ratios relative to one another. When these relationships are ideal, plants needs are met even at very low EC. Much like dialing in the equalizer on a quality stereo, your able to hear all the tones well articulated even with the volume at lower levels.

These nuances in fert quality will often go unnoticed in most growing applications. But from my experience, in water culture the quality of ferts are exploited exponentially due to the intimate contact the roots constantly maintain with the solution.

My guess is that these impurities and ill mineral ratios may have plagued your grow causing plant stress, pH fluctuations and ultimately root damage that then allowed for the onset of pathogen outbreak. You'd also previously mentioned the quality of your buds leaving you and your patients disappointed, I suspect this too to be a result of cut rate ferts leaving residual unused salts behind in the plant tissue.

After all, your plants are what they eat.

In the event you run RDWC again, you may consider using a higher quality/cost nutrient in an effort to achieve better results and make the most of your efforts.

What you describe explains my experience. I came to the same conclusion- I bit off more than I could chew on several levels and it didn't work out for me. So- I'll gain some experience in a more forgiving format and try again once I have a better understanding of nutrients and water culture.

ttystikk

ttystikk

LOL

Ok, I admit, failing sucks. But you have to try to something something positive in it!

I was just bustin' yer chops, bro, it's all good- and yes, lessons learned in the midst of failure are hard won and generally not forgotten. As strange as it sounds, success often leaves relatively few opportunities for learning. This is why so many kids who've managed one decent round suddenly think they're God's gift to growing... and then wonder why they never put another good run together again!

And then there's Shady... just cruisin' along, makin' us all look bad...

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Another Shady Update... Under Current, Roots Organic Soil, & B'cuzz Coco

In this case I would be happier than a pig in shit to find a bean amongst those fire strains, could be the next big thing. The White Fire Strawberry Bubba Plum OG? Yeah, my nigga Shady did that on accident way back in the day, so much talent he didn't even have to try.
Hahaa, thx Broski! Actually I had a few shady beans from my last round in Roots Organic... Only problem is that I couldn't figure out which strain hit the rest. Now I just need to find some time and space to pop a few of these beans...

Hell ya! Shady you killin it over there.. those buds shots are sick, and the UC is blowin up.. That ghost, WIfi, And white S1 are stackin big time.. How is that Ghost smellin for ya? Will be giving her a go next round.... Quick question, I was checking out your Shady Business UC run and that shit was off the hook.. How would you rate the ogees from that run? Thanks bro!
Whaddup UNITEDGROOVES! Thx for the kind words and checking out my Shady Business thread... The Ghost OG is smelling downright dank OG and appears to be on par with the Fire cut, which was hands down the best of the OG strains from that last run.

So I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but am I reading your updates right, in that you're running just 175 TOTAL ppm in the UC? I had plants showing every deficiency in the book when I ran anything under 700ppm...
No worries brah... You are reading my updates correctly and I'm using the 0.5 conversion to EC. I try to post all of the relevant info so that others can see the results...

One key to a good nutrient is having all available elements in the ideal ratios relative to one another. When these relationships are ideal, plants needs are met even at very low EC.
Right on UCMENOW! It's all about the nutrient profile and listening to your plants needs and reactions...

Hey, even when you fail you still learn shit in the process. So really, it's never a complete failure. :)
True that monkeymun! Sometimes you gotta get burned to learn...

Looking mighty fine my friend
Thx BG! It's good to have you along for the ride...

And then there's Shady... just cruisin' along, makin' us all look bad...
Thx again for the support ttystikk... Over the last couple of years I've been feeding low PPM's in all of the diff mediums that I run. I've found that the plants are happier and will let me know when they're hungry for more food... Like they say, less is more...

Another Shady Update... Under Current, Roots Organic Soil, & B'cuzz Coco

It's been a while since the last update, so I'll start off with the Under Current details on the first res change in bloom and a couple top off mixes to adjust the PPM's and pH:

Day 13 of Bloom, Start of Week 3, 7/4/12
Starting >
pH: 6.25
PPM: 130
2nd Res Change
@ 30 gal
CM: 2
UC Roots: 2
CS Bloom A: 5
CS Bloom B: 5
CS Bud Booster: 3
pH: 5.50
PPM: 420
Ending >
pH: 5.60
PPM: 320

Day 18 of Bloom, Middle of Week 3, 7/9/12
Starting >
pH: 6.08
PPM: 200
Manual Top Off @ 4 gal
CS Bloom A: 12
CS Bloom B: 12
CS Bud Booster: 3
pH: 5.05
PPM: 915
Ending >
pH: 5.97
PPM: 285

Day 20 of Bloom, Start of Week 4, 7/11/12
Starting >
pH: 6.00
PPM: 250
Auto Top Off @ 25 gal
CS Bloom A: 7
CS Bloom B: 7
CS Bud Booster: 5
pH: 5.25
PPM: 520
Ending >
pH: 5.95
PPM: 300

The following photos were snapped on Day 20 of Bloom...
Under Current R15 3

Under Current R15 1

Under Current R15 2

And here's some eye candy from the Roots Organic round in soil, during the final flush on Day 60...

White Fire #3...
White Fire 3  1

White Fire 3  2

White S1 #7...
White S1 7  1

White S1 7  2

White Stardawg...
White Stardawg

Ghost OG...
Ghost OG  1

Ghost OG  2

Strawberry Bubba...
Strawberry Bubba  1

Strawberry Bubba  2

Plum Princess...
Plum Princess  1

Plum Princess  2

Last, but not least... Here's a quick shot of Round 16, a couple days after being transplanted into B'cuzz Coco and Chunky Perlite #4 at a 1:1 ratio in 2 gal Smart Pots. Gonna veg for a couple of weeks under the 600W HPS, and then flip the switch to bloom...
Coco DTW R16 1

:cool:

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

Bangin' hard homie. I now believe you have Ghost OG and I have something renamed judging by Google images.

The only thing I would do is take 12-18" of growth off the lowers in the UC, they will do a lot better up top where the money is at. You're about that money, right? :D

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yep, consistent as ever, straight killin' it, brah~ thanks for the responses to my posts- I must have had some serious imbalances because until I ran my EC up over 1.2, I had serious deficiency issues. Next time I try this, I'll likely try using a nute line that's specifically formulated for RDWC.

G

growgrow

gorgeous man... nice recovery w/ the real early UC issues you were havin..... you'll pay off that system with 2 buckets.... I noticed how High you let that PH rise and how different it starts @ each week... are you using a mineral uptake chart to choose where you're placing the PH @, or are you just adding the nutes and letting it ride?? curious..... thnx man

GROW!

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
A Shady Transition... Roots Organic Harvest, Under Current Aggressive Bloom, and B'cuzz Coco Flip

Bangin' hard homie. I now believe you have Ghost OG and I have something renamed judging by Google images.

The only thing I would do is take 12-18" of growth off the lowers in the UC, they will do a lot better up top where the money is at. You're about that money, right? :D
Right on Rollin! The Ghost OG and rest of Round 14 is putting out a pungent aroma during the cure. As for the UC, I've been strategically trimming the sucker branches out of the picture...

very very nice shady.. always puttin in work and killin it.
Thx bigcheese! Just trying to keep up with you and the rest of the Farm...

Yep, consistent as ever, straight killin' it, brah~ thanks for the responses to my posts- I must have had some serious imbalances because until I ran my EC up over 1.2, I had serious deficiency issues. Next time I try this, I'll likely try using a nute line that's specifically formulated for RDWC.
No worries brah! Hope you post up a detailed journal as I'd like to see your work...

Wow looks great man.. dunno how I missed it.
It's all good St3ve! Still looking forward to seeing you post up a thread...

Simply beautiful as usual, bro! Mouth watering shots for sure.
Many thanks M.S.T.!

gorgeous man... nice recovery w/ the real early UC issues you were havin..... you'll pay off that system with 2 buckets.... I noticed how High you let that PH rise and how different it starts @ each week... are you using a mineral uptake chart to choose where you're placing the PH @, or are you just adding the nutes and letting it ride?? curious..... thnx man

GROW!
Whaddup growgrow! Thx for the props. I like to let the pH ride between top offs, but if the pH drifts too far out of the optimum range, then I dose the system... For the UC, I try to stay just above 6.0 pH in veg, and just below 6.0 pH in bloom...

Killer work Shady, keep that shit coming!
Thx monkeymun! Got a few, week old picts for this update coming right up...

A Shady Transition... Roots Organic Harvest, Under Current Aggressive Bloom, and B'cuzz Coco Flip

Got a few photos taken last week during a transition in the Shady Arena. I'll start with the Roots Organic harvest of Round 14. Here are the chop dates:

White Fire #3 - day 67
The White S1 #7 - day 67
Ghost OG - day 68
Plum Princess- day 69
Strawberry Bubba- day 70
White Stardawg- day 71

And the aftermath...
Roots Organic Harvest

I snapped a couple shots of the Strawberry Bubba just before cutting her down to show the fall colors...
Strawberry Bubba flushed  2

Strawberry Bubba flushed  1

And a gratuitous Plum Princess leaf shot to show the shine at the chop...
Plum Princess flushed

Moving onto the Under Current where I bumped up the nutrient strength in aggressive bloom...

Day 29 of Bloom, Start of Week 5, 7/20/12
Starting >
pH: 5.90
PPM: 330
3rd Res Change
@ 30 gal
CS Bloom A: 7
CS Bloom B: 7
CS Bud Booster: 7
pH: 5.85
PPM: 590
Ending >
pH: 5.88
PPM: 550

Day 33 of Bloom, Middle of Week 5, 7/24/12
Starting >
pH: 5.60
PPM: 560
Auto Top Off
@ 10 gal
CS Bloom A: 6
CS Bloom B: 6
CS Bud Booster: 7
pH: 5.88
PPM: 570
Ending >
pH: 5.70
PPM: 567

Day 36 of Bloom, Start of Week 6, 7/27/12
Starting >
pH: 5.67
PPM: 615
Auto Top Off
@ 10 gal
CS Bloom A: 6
CS Bloom B: 6
CS Bud Booster: 8
pH: 5.75
PPM: 625
Ending >
pH: 5.73
PPM: 618

Here's a shot of Round 15 on Day 31 of bloom before these girls start to blow up...
Under Current R15 4

A couple days later I rigged the adjacent 600W HPS from the Roots Organic side to get some side lighting into the canopy... BTW, I also have a 600W MH Ushio HiLUX Gro bulb and was wondering if I should swap out the HPS for a mix spectrum for the last half of bloom...
Under Current R15 5

And I finally flipped Round 16 in B'cuzz Coco on 7/22/12 after a quick 2 week veg under the HPS. Here are a few photos from the flip...
Coco DTW R16 2

Coco DTW R16 3

Coco DTW R16 4

:cool:

Top Bottom