Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

Maybe i could throw a couple t5s in there ..they could b kept on 12hrs too .i know its minimal
but something is better than nothing i spose...these could b put 8 inches above canopy on a certain plant just to test.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Maybe i could throw a couple t5s in there ..they could b kept on 12hrs too .i know its minimal
but something is better than nothing i spose...these could b put 8 inches above canopy on a certain plant just to test.

regular t-5’s dont have enough uvb but there are full spectrum plus uv bulbs and uv specific from hortilux and htg and others.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

I wish everyone would stop saying it like a marketing ploy. The max recorded thc bump is 4%. The big number is of total weight. An example is 20%thc to 24% thc. And thats the rare maximum amount. Also only thc raises. Not cbd or other cannabinoids. Which is useless for a better high. Only good for more profit if the dispensary is pricing according to thc content.

if it mattered so much indoor hps weed wouldnt be more potent than outdoor with the full sun spectrum. But outdoor rarely is more potent than well grown indoor.

Very interesting that only the THC goes up....

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Yes, I have read (I assume most of?) them. I did not achieve that result with that large a UV source. I received no result with the little T5s. At least in my lab. But there are way to many variables for me to say it does not work, just that it is not some magic bullet.

I'm starting a new thing right now every Friday I am going to TLC test something. Tonight it is testing cannabinoids in 4 buds from a recent harvest. I also took samples of the same buds to a lab yesterday and I will have the mass spectrometer results on Monday or Tuesday. I'm using this opportunity to verify my at home TLC testing is accurate.

This is how I know what is happening in my plants as I make changes like adding UV.

In my other 4x8 I just installed 60W Far Red and 60W UVA. I'm about to move a group of plants into that tent to flower, and we will see the effects of those 2 spectrums as they grow.

All of this testing is about coaxing out minor cannabinoids. I've got a feel for how to tune a plant backed by personal testing.

Gotta go upload the video, I'll be back later if you want to get deeper into UV. Post the link to a study so we are talking off the same paper. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on UV A B or C

Wow this is really advanced - thanks to everyone for all the great information.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Moe.Red curious how ya ran those?

The long way across the back next to the HID shrouds so it only really hit the back 3 plants. Ran 6 Critical Mass clones from a monster producer mom. 2 Hours in the middle of the day.

Plants were huge but very uneven top to bottom. Back 3 plants done way before the front 3.

Whole tent was over 4# dry but I do not attribute that to the UV by any stretch.

I've got the whole thing on gopro if you have specific questions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The long way across the back next to the HID shrouds so it only really hit the back 3 plants. Ran 6 Critical Mass clones from a monster producer mom. 2 Hours in the middle of the day.

Plants were huge but very uneven top to bottom. Back 3 plants done way before the front 3.

Whole tent was over 4# dry but I do not attribute that to the UV by any stretch.

I've got the whole thing on gopro if you have specific questions.
For what stages if growth?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I wish everyone would stop saying it like a marketing ploy. The max recorded thc bump is 4%. The big number is of total weight. An example is 20%thc to 24% thc. And thats the rare maximum amount. Also only thc raises. Not cbd or other cannabinoids. Which is useless for a better high. Only good for more profit if the dispensary is pricing according to thc content.

if it mattered so much indoor hps weed wouldnt be more potent than outdoor with the full sun spectrum. But outdoor rarely is more potent than well grown indoor.
I think there may be some other factors contributing to the potency of outdoor vs indoor in America.....like the climate in general for the vast majority of the country just sucks for growing pot.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well it is an increase of say 20%... say 20% thc and you see a 20% increase... that would be a total of 24%... thc content increased by 20%. But yeah kinda misleading.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Well it is an increase of say 20%... say 20% thc and you see a 20% increase... that would be a total of 24%... thc content increased by 20%. But yeah kinda misleading.
If you are adding percentages like that so you think it goes up by twenty percentage points, it's just something you need to learn not to do. That is kind of basic math literacy.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think there may be some other factors contributing to the potency of outdoor vs indoor in America.....like the climate in general for the vast majority of the country just sucks for growing pot.

eh. Outdoor is hit or miss wherever it comes from imo. I had a line on cali outdoor and mexico in the past. It varies too much to compete with indoor for me.

but climate controlled light dep greenhouses blur the line for sure.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Flower only
That may be why... only use the last 2 weeks ish... its a stress response... so that likely why you see more trixhs as a stress response but by the time late flower has come its adjusted and not going to get the same impact... at least that's my thought on it.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

But then again thats your opinion but your opinion isnt fact unless youve done IT. I had wedding cake. Grew harvested and tasted at the same time. 1. Under 1200w hps nanolux got little uv. 2. Under gavita no uv. 3. Under my mars with uvb supplement. Id have to say my most sticky was the uvb. Same strain 3 different rooms. Same time. Side by side. I saw noticeable ro invest 100 or so in uvb to make a nice positive difference.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
its a sales or negotiating tactic. You move the numbers around to suit the purpose at hand. Part of good sales training.
Lol. I guess it depends on the business. Sales guy shows he's that dumb once, he is wasting his time with me (and I tell him so). But that's in tech solutions so I guess you are trying to show you are smart.

Edit: I am sorry, this came off as prickish. I am in a bit of a mood today after having a tense conversation with a vendor this afternoon who was a classic blowhard sales guy with no wagon behind him. It has me punchy on that topic.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I started with the little lights and moved up to the 4 footers to try to make something happen.

I’d be happy to run the test again on my tent in flower. The one you helped me on. Hooks and power already in place it would take 10 minutes to put them in.

Top Bottom