Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

You never want to shock nature or it with have a negative effect on growth. Obvious you wanna hit it the last 2 weeks about 4 hours in the middle of your 12 and 12. I like to start week 5 or 6 and give it 1 or 2 hours. And gradually introduce it to the girls. They will have a unique reaction and put on heavy resin. Just as if you were out in flordia in the middle of summer. Your gonna load down with that sunscreen.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sounds good. When I start I’ll document and start a new thread.

Next step is to go back and read up on previous testing by others. There have been quite a few. We need to design the test.
Your a gentleman and a scholar sir... thank you taking the time and effort to test this... please tag me if you do.... where else do we get a chance to have a member running tests like this? You all make the farm rock!!! Best membership of any site as far as I'm concerned... 👍👍👍 everyone contributing in all sorts of areas make this place the bomb.

Sure makes me proud to be a staff member here.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lol. I guess it depends on the business. Sales guy shows he's that dumb once, he is wasting his time with me (and I tell him so). But that's in tech solutions so I guess you are trying to show you are smart.

Edit: I am sorry, this came off as prickish. I am in a bit of a mood today after having a tense conversation with a vendor this afternoon who was a classic blowhard sales guy with no wagon behind him. It has me punchy on that topic.

Its not backhanded. Just a simple tactic like 20% more sounds better than 4% more.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That may be why... only use the last 2 weeks ish... its a stress response... so that likely why you see more trixhs as a stress response but by the time late flower has come its adjusted and not going to get the same impact... at least that's my thought on it.

there are decade old tests already proving all this. Solis tech even sold a finishing bulb 10k metal halide with iron free glass to let the uv through. Last two weeks same as full cycle for up to 5% gain in thc only. I used to have links but in my old phone. We probably discussed it here on thc farrmer.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

there are decade old tests already proving all this. Solis tech even sold a finishing bulb 10k metal halide with iron free glass to let the uv through. Last two weeks same as full cycle for up to 5% gain in thc only. I used to have links but in my old phone. We probably discussed it here on thc farrmer.
Yeah I read lots also. That's why I asked him how he used em. But I have not tested myself so I'm curious if he will actually see a difference.

Not much you and I have not talked about lol... think we covered a-z in some form or another.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Guessing this is the paper in question. Improvement appears to top out at 32 percent in floral tissues and they make copious mention of flavonoids, which rings true if you have ever run uvb.

I'm sorry these are so tall.
Screenshot 20210219 232618
Screenshot 20210219 232623
Screenshot 20210219 232630
Screenshot 20210219 232639
Screenshot 20210219 232658

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Btw, calling what they did there "regression analysis" is technically true......but it's kind of a trivial application with such small numbers.

Anyway, I would say these results merit further study re: their declaration of null results with other cannabinoids.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Btw, calling what they did there "regression analysis" is technically true......but it's kind of a trivial application with such small numbers.

Anyway, I would say these results merit further study re: their declaration of null results with other cannabinoids.
I wish @Moe.Red was this side of the border so I can send samples... im very very curious on the effects of UVA at higher concentration (don't think much benefit by itself) but combination of UVA UVB.... and the ratios that work best... reason being we all know (most of us) how much spectrums and thier ratios can have a drastic effect on the plants structure.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I wish @Moe.Red was this side of the border so I can send samples... im very very curious on the effects of UVA at higher concentration (don't think much benefit by itself) but combination of UVA UVB.... and the ratios that work best... reason being we all know (most of us) how much spectrums and thier ratios can have a drastic effect on the plants structure.
Don’t worry I’ll let you help design the test and see first hand the result. We can play with spectrum on the next 10 grows here and collect lots of data. Not just uvb. @Milson and I have been talking about this for a while and I’d like his input too. Biggest difficulty we have on the next test is they are not clones since I’m on a pheno hunt. But there is still good data to be had just gotta get creative. I,ve thought about running a piece of panda plastic vertically down the center of a plant so we can treat the same plant with different spectrums, DLI, etc. I’m very open to your ideas.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Here is what I found:

These UVB bulbs will definitely effect the amount and consistency of trichomes. (notice I did not say THC)

They will make you turn cloudy and then amber pre-maturely

I think the overall effect on the plant is detrimental. TLC testing the resulting harvest DOES NOT show higher total cannabinoids in my grows. It just makes crap more finicky and you have to watch your eyes carefully. Can't just poke your head in the tent.

If you are gonna do it, I'd completely recommend start small.

Starting "small" is definitely the way to go. Whatever lights you get, start with the shortest period/day your timer will allow.

These are my personal observations:

1. It doesn't increase trichome numbers. I have read many testimonials that claims it does, but I've never seen it happen and I've used it for about 9-10 grows. My early exploration into UVB was using 10% UVB reptile lights. Some buds were within an inch of the lights, other buds were up to 24 inches away. There was no difference in trich density, and given how quickly light intensity drops with distance from the source, I should have seen a difference.

I think most people aren't comparing trich density to anything but memory

2. It does increase potency.

3. It doesn't turn trichs cloudy or amber prematurely.

Give it a try and see if you agree. This is definitely a topic with a combination of real + bro science out there.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Starting "small" is definitely the way to go. Whatever lights you get, start with the shortest period/day your timer will allow.

These are my personal observations:

1. It doesn't increase trichome numbers. I have read many testimonials that claims it does, but I've never seen it happen and I've used it for about 9-10 grows. My early exploration into UVB was using 10% UVB reptile lights. Some buds were within an inch of the lights, other buds were up to 24 inches away. There was no difference in trich density, and given how quickly light intensity drops with distance from the source, I should have seen a difference.

I think most people aren't comparing trich density to anything but memory

2. It does increase potency.

3. It doesn't turn trichs cloudy or amber prematurely.

Give it a try and see if you agree. This is definitely a topic with a combination of real + bro science out there.

I respect your experience however it is clear there many many variables between what you did and what I did and what these tests by others have done. I’m a pics or it didn’t happen kind of guy.

my documentation includes microscopy and cannabinoid testing along with video footage of the grows. Not perfect but far from bro science. I also try very hard to maintain an open mind and not go into testing with a preconceived notion of what I want to happen. That is why I offer to do the whole test over again with input from others because I might have missed something, set the test up wrong, or caught a case of tunnel vision.

I am interested in getting your help in setting up the next test to minimize sloppy procedures and questionable results.

BTW I can also measure PPFD of visible plus far red. I don’t have a UV a b or c sensor but would be willing to get one if this project looks promising. I am also in the process of redesigning my spectrometer to see UV. That way I do not need to rely on manufacturer data on the lamps used.

Tell us about your testing!

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Does Lord Bugbee approve this herecy?

I'll sell you a cheap UVB kit. Buy my rebranded harbor freight saw and cut a hole in your roof. Warning:not IP65 certified

Moshmen

Moshmen

You never want to shock nature or it with have a negative effect on growth. Obvious you wanna hit it the last 2 weeks about 4 hours in the middle of your 12 and 12. I like to start week 5 or 6 and give it 1 or 2 hours. And gradually introduce it to the girls. They will have a unique reaction and put on heavy resin. Just as if you were out in flordia in the middle of summer. Your gonna load down with that sunscreen.
I’m prolly gonna die of skin cancer - I never wear sunscreen

Top Bottom