Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Then also the fact that it's plausible the slight reduction in size can be offset by a change in density. Often seen when grown under a more blue leaning spectrum tighter denser buds.
Can you think of a way to measure bud density so I can compare test to control buds?

My only thought would be accurate weight before a water displacement type scenario. Or maybe vegetable oil would be better? Something that does not enter the cell via osmosis?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Can you think of a way to measure bud density so I can compare test to control buds?

My only thought would be accurate weight before a water displacement type scenario. Or maybe vegetable oil would be better? Something that does not enter the cell via osmosis?

a caliper that measures tension?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Dry them to 100% and just measure plant mass?
Can do, I have a freeze drier that works perfect for that.

But how do I measure the difference in density of 2 dissimilar buds in both shape and size? And what about all those nooks and crannies inside?

Here is the question - If the bud under UV stops getting larger but the internal density goes up maintaining the same weight as a bud that is continuing to get visually larger.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Can do, I have a freeze drier that works perfect for that.

But how do I measure the difference in density of 2 dissimilar buds in both shape and size? And what about all those nooks and crannies inside?

Here is the question - If the bud under UV stops getting larger but the internal density goes up maintaining the same weight as a bud that is continuing to get visually larger.

If the buds are the same size and one weighs more when fully dried, it's denser, right?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

If the buds are the same size and one weighs more when fully dried, it's denser, right?
OK, I'm picking up what you are laying' down

Bud A - UV Side ~ weighs 25 grams wet --> 5 grams dry
Bud B - No UV ~ weighs 25 grams wet --> 5 grams dry.

So same density? Maybe, but density also needs a unit of volume in the mix. So how do I make sure the buds are the exact same volume?

Density = Mass/volume

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

OK, I'm picking up what you are laying' down

Bud A - UV Side ~ weighs 25 grams wet --> 5 grams dry
Bud B - No UV ~ weighs 25 grams wet --> 5 grams dry.

So same density? Maybe, but density also needs a unit of volume in the mix. So how do I make sure the buds are the exact same volume?

Density = Mass/volume

you need to hire a certified 3rd party manual bud squeezer. They will certify and report bud squeeziness. Problem solved!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Density = Mass/volume
A small beaker and something dry and grainy. Sand? Maybe too dense. Rice? Cous cous?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

UVB is useless to cannabis. UVA is a different story. But even then I question whether it’s worth the extra expense for the lights and the power to run them.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
That could actually work. I've got this silica 60 I use in my column - it is very precise in the size of the crystals and is incredibly fine.

A bud in a beaker. Throw on top a known amount of silica. Vibrate. Measure.

Fukkin genius.

I love this place.
I was thinking about this and i think you would want to mix in some of the measured silica (maybe 30 mL or so), then the bud, then the remaining silica. That way it doesn't smash against the bottom.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm thinking a graduated cylinder in layers from bottom to top

an inch of sand
freeze dried UV bud of precise weight (zero water)
sand to cover bud 1/2 the bud
shake it by putting it on top of a random orbital sander
more sand
shake
top it off with the rest of the measured sand
shake

Repeat process with control bud

stand the graduated cylinders side by side and compare. A denser bud should have a lower sand level. Could also cut the bud in half after to verify full sand penetration, but this stuff is really fine so I think it will get everywhere when vibrated.

Now the question is how do I get the sand out so I can smoke it?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Now the question is how do I get the sand out so I can smoke it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Water displacement would probably be the best way imo

Top Bottom