Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Day 18 Microscopy

Still a ways to go. Trichomes are more plentiful and seemingly larger across the board, I personally do not see a difference in UV vs no UV. Too early to call anything.

They have been getting 2 hours a day every day since day 9.

I'll post findings when I start to harvest.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So things are going swimmingly. I am clocking results. I doubt they will be accepted by some, but I'll know, so overall good experience.

I do have to say that based on the CO2 use, this is going to be my largest harvest ever. I normally change the tank every other grow and have a bit left at the end. This time, 3/4 of a tank is already in those buds. Mmmmm.

Upped the sulfur and micro nutes and the terps are back!

Purple kush is purpling on the left (UV) not the right.

The closeup trichome pics are turning out to be irrelevant for the purpose I had in mind. The control bud has completely covered the pin. I also grew enough ne structure that the pics no longer match up even if I could see the pin. The counting trichomes part of this experiment will come down to my eyes, and the best side by side photos I can muster.

What that pin did teach me tho was that Flower Power UV lights reduce outward growth. I'm not just looking at 2 buds here, the whole left side of the tent is different than the right. One possibility is the density is higher under UV in order to say yield was unaffected.

One very clear result is that the UV side is much riper than the control in terms of color of pistils. Left is almost all brown, right is maybe 60-70%. Leaves are dying under UV at a higher rate. Normal dyoff you get at harvest is happening sooner on the UV side.

I'll wrap all this up with proper documentation at the end. Happy 420 all.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

So things are going swimmingly. I am clocking results. I doubt they will be accepted by some, but I'll know, so overall good experience.

I do have to say that based on the CO2 use, this is going to be my largest harvest ever. I normally change the tank every other grow and have a bit left at the end. This time, 3/4 of a tank is already in those buds. Mmmmm.

The closeup trichome pics are turning out to be irrelevant for the purpose I had in mind. The control bud has completely covered the pin. I also grew enough ne structure that the pics no longer match up even if I could see the pin. The counting trichomes part of this experiment will come down to my eyes, and the best side by side photos I can muster.

What that pin did teach me tho was that Flower Power UV lights reduce outward growth. I'm not just looking at 2 buds here, the whole left side of the tent is different than the right. One possibility is the density is higher under UV in order to say yield was unaffected.

One very clear result is that the UV side is much riper than the control in terms of color of pistils. Left is almost all brown, right is maybe 60-70%. Leaves are dying under UV at a higher rate. Normal dyoff you get at harvest is happening sooner on the UV side.

Happy 420 !! Thanks for the update, so interesting!

growsince79

growsince79

Great post Moe. Happy 420

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Purple Kush. Anybody wanna guess which one was under UV?

IMG 8837

Harvest day. Cool stuff coming.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

When you start posting little teasers like that, I start getting excited...., :-)

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

When you start posting little teasers like that, I start getting excited...., :-)
hehe

It's gonna be a while to be 100% done, the lab test will probably take a week. But I'll post a few more things as I figure them out.

Just about to go pop a few buds in the freeze drier for lab testing and to use as density testers. So I'll have more results tomorrow. I'm getting everything on video too, so I'll have my media guy at work help me wrap it all up with a proper video.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

These are not the test and control buds with the pins in them, but they were right next to those. The UV is on the right.

This is pretty representative, larger, less dark buds under HPS only, smaller, darker buds under UV.

Side by Side

Test and control are still in there and will remain for a while. Gonna see where this takes us when I go too far.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Moe.Red your contributions are over the top bro... you can visually see the density difference but I don't think it's enough to make up for the weight difference. Almost wonder if the increase concentrations reported are exactly that... increased concentration at the cost of weight (kinda like putting the same amount of cannabinoidsin a smaller volume).... im gonna speculate for a second that I'm right on that ( yes I know that errogant )... the next question would be is it worth it? For me absolutely for a commercial cash crop nadda. But again that's based on pure speculation.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Moe.Red your contributions are over the top bro... you can visually see the density difference but I don't think it's enough to make up for the weight difference. Almost wonder if the increase concentrations reported are exactly that... increased concentration at the cost of weight (kinda like putting the same amount of cannabinoidsin a smaller volume).... im gonna speculate for a second that I'm right on that ( yes I know that errogant )... the next question would be is it worth it? For me absolutely for a commercial cash crop nadda. But again that's based on pure speculation.
I agree the structure is different.

After I pull them from the freeze dryer I’m going to add thin oil over the top in a graduated cylinder to get density.

I had to cut them up to get them in the freezer. The insides were both the same density to my eyes and fingers but the control bud had new growth beyond the core that is less dense.

Based on my observations if you want the highest cannabinoid per unit weight but do not care about the total harvest weight UV may help get you there.

We will have cursory data on that by this time tomorrow between the TLC test and density experiment. What I won’t be able to do is determine if trichrome density has gone up. For the people claiming it does I’d like to know how they figured that.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree the structure is different.

After I pull them from the freeze dryer I’m going to add thin oil over the top in a graduated cylinder to get density.

I had to cut them up to get them in the freezer. The insides were both the same density to my eyes and fingers but the control bud had new growth beyond the core that is less dense.

Based on my observations if you want the highest cannabinoid per unit weight but do not care about the total harvest weight UV may help get you there.

We will have cursory data on that by this time tomorrow between the TLC test and density experiment. What I won’t be able to do is determine if trichrome density has gone up. For the people claiming it does I’d like to know how they figured that.
From my understanding I don't think it so much increases the trich count so much as the cannabinoid levels inside. I could be wrong.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

From my understanding I don't think it so much increases the trich count so much as the cannabinoid levels inside. I could be wrong.
It was one of the testing parameters from day 1. It is a common statement made countless times that UVB increases trichomes. I just wanted to prove or disprove that statement since no one can point me to any data anywhere as to why they say it does. Look back in this thread alone it’s is stated as fact by some.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It was one of the testing parameters from day 1. It is a common statement made countless times that UVB increases trichomes. I just wanted to prove or disprove that statement since no one can point me to any data anywhere as to why they say it does. Look back in this thread alone it’s is stated as fact by some.
Chalk me up for disprove on the increased trichome production and prove the increased concentration

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Chalk me up for disprove on the increased trichome production and prove the increased concentration
I agree that trichomes are not increased. But you are going to have to take my word for it because my closeup pics are irrelevant. Since I cannot continue to look at exactly the same spots since the control bud grew around the pin, I have no proof.

On the concentration, jury is still out. I have not completed testing. I think the lab report will be the final say there. But based on TLC, prospect looks good that you are correct there too.

There are conflicting reports on increases of THC only, THC with a reduction in minors, no change, and detrimental change due to UV. I think only a proper lab test will do to settle this argument.

Thinking of changing my name to bro science after this.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So one more result - I believe that density is not effected by UVB based on this:

IMG 2419

IMG 2420

That is 1.5g of Freeze Dried and 45ml of Vegetable Oil.

Allowed an hour with agitation to get all the bubbles out.

I'm currently decarbing the freeze dried samples for TLC.

Again, I'm getting all this on video, but pretty much nobody watches the videos so I'll stick to the pics.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So one more result - I believe that density is not effected by UVB based on this:

View attachment 1116800

View attachment 1116801

That is 1.5g of Freeze Dried and 45ml of Vegetable Oil.

Allowed an hour with agitation to get all the bubbles out.

I'm currently decarbing the freeze dried samples for TLC.

Again, I'm getting all this on video, but pretty much nobody watches the videos so I'll stick to the pics.

isn’t bud density referring to how tightly the calyx pack together? Not the actual plant matter I don’t think. Would you call that structure?

Latest posts

Top Bottom