Should I add UVB Light?

• Thread starter LaVirtue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

For wine, not necessarily, because the way grapes form is related to their environmental conditions. For cannabis the only difference that I'm aware of would be the increased amount of radiation that hits the plant, which could be mimicked by tertiary light sources (far red, UV's, etc).

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

For wine, not necessarily, because the way grapes form is related to their environmental conditions. For cannabis the only difference that I'm aware of would be the increased amount of radiation that hits the plant, which could be mimicked by tertiary light sources (far red, UV's, etc).

Cool cool

Hoping you will help me out design my follow on tests. What mix of environmentals would you assemble if you were Harry Potter and had total control over your grow space?

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Cool cool

Hoping you will help me out design my follow on tests. What mix of environmentals would you assemble if you were Harry Potter and had total control over your grow space?

OH MAN I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS

Essentially the first few rooms would be a series of walk-in coolers with flood tables on racks. Whether or not they had the compressor and condenser installed and working would depend on the external environment and the goal of the room. Why walk-in coolers? They're easy to clean, keep temperature and humidity beautifully, and have holes for ventilation and circuits cut already.

The first, for germinating seedlings, would be kept around 85F and at 75% humidity, with just enough ventilation to keep things from molding and 24 hours of T4 light. With a UVB air filter.

The second, for once they pop, would be around 78F and 65% humidity with 12 hours of 3500k light and 12 of darkness. For quickly sexing regs without disrupting the grow process or sending out for testing. Something like an oscillating fan or two set on low for ventilation.

The third would be a veg room with slightly more intense 4000K light source on 24 hours that starts to introduce far red and UV, with more intense, unprediictable winds. Something like a rotating platform with a few oscillating fans on it. Kept at 75F, 60%. Plants still on flood racks.

Once plants start thriving in there, they'd get transplanted and put into a larger pot on differently spaced flood racks under 20 hours of 3500k light until they reach sexual maturity (alternating nodes at new growth), or, preferably, sexual frustration resembling the last cougar at a dive bar. A similar ventilation system as the third room, but turned up higher. 80F, 75% humidity, during lights on, 70F with 65% humidity during lights off.

Then, to start flowering, a room with both far red and UV under 3500K, under 12/12. 80F, 75% 24/7. Ideally there would be CO2 supplemented, and possible temp and light adjustments might have to be made for that (also maybe supplementing with other inert gases could be a way of mimicking higher altitudes?!?).

Then, to finish flowering, a room with the same supplemental lighting running at 3000K under 11.5 hours of light. 75F during lights on, 67F when they're off, 60% ambient humidity all the time. Same caveat for CO2 here.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OH MAN I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS

Essentially the first few rooms would be a series of walk-in coolers with flood tables on racks. Whether or not they had the compressor and condenser installed and working would depend on the external environment and the goal of the room. Why walk-in coolers? They're easy to clean, keep temperature and humidity beautifully, and have holes for ventilation and circuits cut already.

The first, for germinating seedlings, would be kept around 85F and at 75% humidity, with just enough ventilation to keep things from molding and 24 hours of T4 light. With a UVB air filter.

The second, for once they pop, would be around 78F and 65% humidity with 12 hours of 3500k light and 12 of darkness. For quickly sexing regs without disrupting the grow process or sending out for testing. Something like an oscillating fan or two set on low for ventilation.

The third would be a veg room with slightly more intense 4000K light source on 24 hours that starts to introduce far red and UV, with more intense, unprediictable winds. Something like a rotating platform with a few oscillating fans on it. Kept at 75F, 60%. Plants still on flood racks.

Once plants start thriving in there, they'd get transplanted and put into a larger pot on differently spaced flood racks under 20 hours of 3500k light until they reach sexual maturity (alternating nodes at new growth), or, preferably, sexual frustration resembling the last cougar at a dive bar. A similar ventilation system as the third room, but turned up higher. 80F, 75% humidity, during lights on, 70F with 65% humidity during lights off.

Then, to start flowering, a room with both far red and UV under 3500K, under 12/12. 80F, 75% 24/7. Ideally there would be CO2 supplemented, and possible temp and light adjustments might have to be made for that (also maybe supplementing with other inert gases could be a way of mimicking higher altitudes?!?).

Then, to finish flowering, a room with the same supplemental lighting running at 3000K under 11.5 hours of light. 75F during lights on, 67F when they're off, 60% ambient humidity all the time. Same caveat for CO2 here.

It's clear you have thought this thru. Wow.

I love the freezer idea. Never thought about it. I've been thinking about my retirement home, and I planned to build a grow building that is specifically set up or cannabis, mushrooms, micro greens, and a nursery for vegetable plants. I may steal a few ideas, but I'll be sure to give you credit!

I could probably duplicate everything here inside of the tents I have here. Have you ever played with hydro? I'm thinking you are a dirt guy for a good reason. Seems like most people are. I've thought about a change to dirt more times than I can count. Still on the fence.

I had a zipper bust on my Veg tent recently. Typical for cheap chinese tents. As I replace this, it might be a good time to consider larger changes.

I'm gonna take a bit to digest this some more and I'm sure I'll be back, thanks for the reply. You gave me a lot to consider.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I haven't played with hydro at all, outside of my little bubble cloner. I've got a long history of growing things in dirt (used to work on an organic farm), and I prefer to combine fertigation with nutrients in the grow media.

I can't even tell you how many zippers I've fixed with this.

Another advantage of walk-in coolers would be that they can be stacked.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

It starts tomorrow.

New bulbs, new spectrum measurements, starting TLC for existing cannabinoids, start video, distance measurement from target buds to lights. Document all grow parameters. Target plant is White Widow by Green House Seeds (Fem). I have grown this plant before and this specimen seems typical. I expect total weight to be near a pound.

Take macro photos of specific marked bud sites. Measure these bud sites for UVA. UVB, PAR, Far Red. These values should not change within the test.

Set the initial timer to 20 minutes - 11:50 AM - 12:10 PM.

Take macro photos of marked bud sites at 24 hour intervals. Many actual photos will be taken to document any changes, however only 2 high res photos will be uploaded per day. These will be the primary test bud and the control bud with no UV exposure.

I will keep posting here until the test is complete. Once done the entire test documentation and results will be posted in a new thread to make it easier to read.

Every day we will make decisions about the photoperiod for the following day based on current photos. Strongest argument (as determined by yours truly) wins.

Buds near the target bud will be harvested throughout the test for later comparison. They will be freeze dried and stored for potential lab specimens based on what we discover. This should allow us to backtrack and confirm via lab what would have been the "sweet spot."

Let me know if I'm missing anything, and grab your popcorn growers.

IMG 2563

IMG 2564

shaganja

shaganja

Aloha white widow 2.0! I believe the aloha carries thcv from growing on the island. White widow contains a Brazilian sativa, who is a carrier of thcv.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Aloha white widow 2.0! I believe the aloha carries thcv from growing on the island. White widow contains a Brazilian sativa, who is a carrier of thcv.
My old school widow back cross had it (nirvana "black widow" regs). A sativa leaning pheno.

Says so right on that tlc test i did! And the effects of that are very different from almost everything else i have smoked and more importantly than my dad had tried.

To give some context, he suffers from pisa syndrome, a complication from his parkinson's. When he is standing, his brain misfires the area in the trunk around his spine, causing one side to pull too hard and the other not enough. It pulls his spine to a curvature around 40 degrees worse than when he is lying down. Scientists believe it is in part due to dysfunction in the basal ganglia, a movement center of the brain.

Under the effects of this widow, his spine appears to be significantly straighter when standing and the normal imbalance between sides diminished. His gait is also much less shuffly and reported pain is decreased very significantly even when standing without a stone effect mentally.

He is also on sinamet and ropinerol and has deep brain stimulation probes in his skull from a successful procedure.

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
It starts tomorrow.

New bulbs, new spectrum measurements, starting TLC for existing cannabinoids, start video, distance measurement from target buds to lights. Document all grow parameters. Target plant is White Widow by Green House Seeds (Fem). I have grown this plant before and this specimen seems typical. I expect total weight to be near a pound.

Take macro photos of specific marked bud sites. Measure these bud sites for UVA. UVB, PAR, Far Red. These values should not change within the test.

Set the initial timer to 20 minutes - 11:50 AM - 12:10 PM.

Take macro photos of marked bud sites at 24 hour intervals. Many actual photos will be taken to document any changes, however only 2 high res photos will be uploaded per day. These will be the primary test bud and the control bud with no UV exposure.

I will keep posting here until the test is complete. Once done the entire test documentation and results will be posted in a new thread to make it easier to read.

Every day we will make decisions about the photoperiod for the following day based on current photos. Strongest argument (as determined by yours truly) wins.

Buds near the target bud will be harvested throughout the test for later comparison. They will be freeze dried and stored for potential lab specimens based on what we discover. This should allow us to backtrack and confirm via lab what would have been the "sweet spot."

Let me know if I'm missing anything, and grab your popcorn growers.

View attachment 1106947

View attachment 1106948
This regimen sounds fantastic.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
My old school widow back cross had it (nirvana "black widow" regs). A sativa leaning pheno.

Says so right on that tlc test i did! And the effects of that are very different from almost everything else i have smoked and more importantly than my dad had tried.

To give some context, he suffers from pisa syndrome, a complication from his parkinson's. When he is standing, his brain misfires the area in the trunk around his spine, causing one side to pull too hard and the other not enough. It pulls his spine to a curvature around 40 degrees worse than when he is lying down. Scientists believe it is in part due to dysfunction in the basal ganglia, a movement center of the brain.

Under the effects of this widow, his spine appears to be significantly straighter when standing and the normal imbalance between sides diminished. His gait is also much less shuffly and reported pain is decreased very significantly even when standing without a stone effect mentally.

He is also on sinamet and ropinerol and has deep brain stimulation probes in his skull from a successful procedure.
Just realized this was the wrong thread for this, sorry....

Fwiw, i did expose the widow to a regimen of uvb that i cut off a week before harvest just off of reading plant reactions (she was getting crabby). Using a reptile lamp between 4-20 inches away, depending on the day.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Day 0 ~ Setup

This is the view of a bud of the plant to be tested prior to any UV injection. Current ripeness - getting close.

This is one very big, very sticky, very smelly plant.

shaganja

shaganja

Got the widow as a freebie. And got the Brazilian for my project. I feel like she is telling me to bx her back to the amazon! Lol have small closet, so this is another project on the list! Lol

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Day 1 Control

Day 1 Control

Day 1 UV @ 20 Mins

Day 1 UV 20 mins

All photos going forward will have these Red and Purple (UV side) reference pins. I wish I had put these in a week ago, I'm certain I touched trichomes will putting them in. First, hopefully only test error.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Harvested a large enough bud from the branch adjacent to the UV target branch for testing, including TLC. I'll need to fully dry this so that will be tomorrow before I can test.

Plant is healthy but the amount of transition from white to brown overnight is not insignificant. I think I may be in the early stages of cooking this plant.

Day 1 complete Bud for Micro and TLC

Day 1 control

Day 1 UV

I do not believe there are additional trichomes today, although I have not counted.

Day 1 Microscopy

So this is the phenomenon I witnessed last time when I cooked the plants with these bulbs. There are significantly more amber trichomes after just 2 UV exposures - Day 0 for 20 minutes and today (Day 1) for 30. I ramped up by 10 minutes because the majority of trichomes were clear.

LaVirtue

LaVirtue

Harvested a large enough bud from the branch adjacent to the UV target branch for testing, including TLC. I'll need to fully dry this so that will be tomorrow before I can test.

Plant is healthy but the amount of transition from white to brown overnight is not insignificant. I think I may be in the early stages of cooking this plant.

View attachment 1108025

View attachment 1108026

View attachment 1108027

I do not believe there are additional trichomes today, although I have not counted.

Day 1 Microscopy

So this is the phenomenon I witnessed last time when I cooked the plants with these bulbs. There are significantly more amber trichomes after just 2 UV exposures - Day 0 for 20 minutes and today (Day 1) for 30. I ramped up by 10 minutes because the majority of trichomes were clear.

That’s crazy that it changed so quickly !

Latest posts

Top Bottom