Should I .... Let Grow, Treat, Defoliate, LST, or Flip 12/12?

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Just want to put this out there, for you to consider. The plant will not begin to flower until it becomes sexually mature. Period. As a general rule you are looking at 6-8 weeks from seed to get there. The plants are at 4 weeks and have not sexed yet. So you can wait lets say 3 more weeks at 12/12 for it to mature and start to flower or you can let them continue to veg 18/6 for 3 weeks till they are mature. Thats 6 hrs per day for 3 weeks of growing light it will miss out on if you flipped now. As tight as those nodes are on your plants, the stretch is going to be minimal. Generally speaking a 4 week veg is for mature clones.

I am curious though, what strain 28 days from seed completely fills a 9sqft scrog and ready to flower? Not saying it does not exist, more like where can I get it.
I don't know any that can fill a 3 x 3 scrog in 28 days from seed. I flip before the scrog is full and the stretch does the rest. But it all depends on strain. I try to grow small plants. I only scrog when I have to.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Pretty much everything I have. All photo. The only thing I have that needs 8 week veg is landrace Colombian. Even my pure Mexican can be flipped at 3 weeks. I have Chem, tahoe, headband, and lots of crosses can all be flipped at 3-4 or less. How many strains have you actually flipped at 3 weeks to see?
OK I get the difference in what we are saying now. You are flipping early (before the plant is sexually mature) and letting the plant reach maturity and start to flower under 12/12 light. I get what you are doing, like running a pure Thai 12/12 from seed to keep it manageable. Cool Cool.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Pretty much everything I have. All photo. The only thing I have that needs 8 week veg is landrace Colombian. Even my pure Mexican can be flipped at 3 weeks. I have Chem, tahoe, headband, and lots of crosses can all be flipped at 3-4 or less. How many strains have you actually flipped at 3 weeks to see?
I do not flip anything at 3 weeks, I am usually topping and training at that point. Earliest I have done not topped and trained was the Lucky Limes I did recently and flipped them at 40-50 days (can not remember exact day) as soon as they showed sex.

growsince79

growsince79

OK I get the difference in what we are saying now. You are flipping early (before the plant is sexually mature) and letting the plant reach maturity and start to flower under 12/12 light. I get what you are doing, like running a pure Thai 12/12 from seed to keep it manageable. Cool Cool.
Most plants take 7-14 days from flip to making pistils when flipped on day 21. They do so without preflowers and alternating nodes start.

Saucyballs day 41 from sprout. 18 day flower. Started seeing pistils on day 29. When grown 18-6 they start to prefower and alternate nodes at day 40ish.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If I top this...would it keep it shorter? Seems to be growing a lot taller than the other strains.

Where would I cut it? Is that even a good idea?

AF2E54AD BB42 4612 86CB C4BBB569D74E

growsince79

growsince79

It looks very sativa. If you top it now, it's gonna hog up the whole tent. I'd probably cut off all the lower branches and bend it over 180. Bend it before cutting the branches just in case you break the main stem there's still something to grow back.

Dothraki

Dothraki

It looks very sativa. If you top it now, it's gonna hog up the whole tent. I'd probably cut off all the lower branches and bend it over 180. Bend it before cutting the branches just in case you break the main stem there's still something to grow back.
Can you show me a picture? I can’t picture how it would need to be bent.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

too late lol

View attachment 1197542View attachment 1197543View attachment 1197544

And here’s the PUDC #2
View attachment 1197547View attachment 1197548View attachment 1197549

I didn’t do much...but hope it helps so the lemon grass doesn’t Godzilla the tent.
You did fine. It will help slow down vertical growth, but it will also bush out the plant. This isn't a bad thing. It's how cannabis grows. Limited space, while challenging at times, does produce high quality buds if the grower handles the grow right. Your plants look great. You'll go into next grow with more experience and will either grow fewer plants as you see how easy it is to fill the space ... or you'll move to a larger tent. Both approaches will work fine. Just pick the one that fits you best.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'd move the tie up one node so the top is lower than the branches. Looks good though.
I'm going to give a bit more detail regarding @growsince79's answer.

He's 100% right. The reason being is the tallest tip (usually the main stem unless you've topped or done some LST) contains a hormone that helps regulate growth and helps that tip remain dominant. When you bend it down, all other branches start growing vertically trying to become the dominant tip. This is a good way to control the heights of the plant if you choose not to top it.

growsince79

growsince79

He's 100% right. The reason being is the tallest tip (usually the main stem unless you've topped or done some LST) contains a hormone that helps regulate growth and helps that tip remain dominant. When you bend it down, all other branches start growing vertically trying to become the dominant tip. This is a good way to control the heights of the plant if you choose not to top it.
Thanks for saying what I was too lazy to write. LOL

Dothraki

Dothraki

I'd move the tie up one node so the top is lower than the branches. Looks good though.
Ahh..I see. Ok I’ll take care of that tomorrow when I water them. I think I’ll try Bonzai wire next grow, and shape the main stalks up. At least on one of them. And yeah, space will be tight. Might have to bring ‘em out to water when they’re bigger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom