Should I take the glass off my hoods?

• Thread starter fadetoblack1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fadetoblack1

I have sunlight supply xxxl hoods with 1000's. 4 of them in a 120sqft flower room, all sealed with a 24kbtu mini split.

Should I take the glass off my hoods? Right now I am air cooling the hoods just blowing the air in the room, not ducting it out.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Yes
Maybe keep the glass on until stretch is finished so you can put your lights almost on top of the plants, then remove the glass.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Yes you should, if you are just blowing the hot air back into the room you are just wasting lumens and energy both, only reason to air cool lights is to remove the heat from the room.

F

fadetoblack1

will yield increase enough to off set the extra energy my minisplit will be using?

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

If I understand correctly, and youre venting your hot air from the lights right back into your flower room, it should actually save you some electrical usage as you're already basically cooling the unvented lights due to not exhausting the hot air coming off them outside the grow area. Also you won't need to run the exhaust fans and can unplug the fan/fans pulling air through the lights, one less thing plugged in suckin juice = that much less electrical usage.

I can say that my regular flower room has air cooled hoods in a completely sealed room with CO2 and my "finishing room" (no co2) I'm running lights w/o the hoods and can see a noticeable difference in resin production with the glass out. Actually has me re-thinking my decision to run air-cooled in the main flower room. Easy enough to change though. Hope this helps. MGG

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have a room full of xxxl magnum puck hoods, currently sealed and vented. The Damn things leak like crazy so I'm considering doing this same thing.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I have a room full of xxxl magnum puck hoods, currently sealed and vented. The Damn things leak like crazy so I'm considering doing this same thing.

Exactly, they were sucking out too much of my CO2 so I threw the duct out...
^^Tried the tape trick and few other methods but then I couldn't clean the glass as much as I like to, serious pain in the ass.

Puscifer

Puscifer

For all the reasons already given, by all means remove the glass.
Your Mitsu will EASILY cool 4k watt without glass.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Did this exact same thing and saw my plants get light burn. It's a high quality problem. It's showed me that, as GL points out, extra glass reduces lighting by at least 10%.
I suspect even more.

Wasted light is terrible and counterproductive. I'm going bare bulbs from now on and switching to verticals in the new garden. I've had enough of air cooled hoods, and will maybe use adjust a wings or Gavitas in hybrid lighting on top now.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Make sure you have a lot of head room 3" from bulb minimum. also Make sure you have a shit ton of circulating fans to move that heat from the canopy before the ac has a chance to cool it. The bulb is over 250 degrees.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Make sure you have a lot of head room 3" from bulb minimum. also Make sure you have a shit ton of circulating fans to move that heat from the canopy before the ac has a chance to cool it. The bulb is over 250 degrees.

Three inches? From a bare thouie? That's gonna smoke the weed before I do! OTOH, three feet can be a bit much- but start there and lower the hood a little each day- or let plants grow towards it, whichever- until you're around 15" away.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Wait till you take an infra red thermometer to that bud that's 15" from a bare thouie in a hood. You'll be moving it up.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Removed the glass from 1 of my 6 lights that are roughly 30"s away. Temps went up 1-1.5°F at the canopy under that 1000. Going to leave it off and see if the plants develop faster...

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

if u have the proper AC and your running co2 in a proper sealed room, then definitely take off the glass. in this case, the glass is counter productive, especially since ur venting the hot air directly in your room. just make sure that you have fans mounted at canopy height to help the flow of hot air to be more circulated. hoods do entrap heat which can reduce the life span of your bulb.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Removed the glass from 1 of my 6 lights that are roughly 30"s away. Temps went up 1-1.5°F at the canopy under that 1000. Going to leave it off and see if the plants develop faster...
GOOD MOVE bro.

Watch for light burn. It didn't hurt that round of mine. It was good to see that much more light available.

Top Bottom