Should Law Enforcement’s ‘Stingray’ System Track You Without a Search Warrant?

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
You’ve probably heard that law enforcement can geolocate you during a live call, but did you know the Feds can find you even if you aren’t on your phone with a device called the “Stringray?”
Stingray tracker cw

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that a federal case against an alleged hacker has brought the capabilities of devices like the Stingray into the public eye.

The case has already spurred heated debate about the extent of our privacy and the protection against unlawful search guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution.

The Stingray is a generic term for devices that can track a cellphone’s location as long as it is turned on. As the Journal described its method of operation, the Stingray functions by:

“mimicking a cellphone tower, getting a phone to connect to it and measuring signals from the phone. It lets the stingray operator “ping,” or send a signal to, a phone and locate it as long as it is powered on.”

Law enforcement across the country does not have a standardized procedure for obtaining permission to use devices like the Stingray, though generally police agencies obtain a court order and not a search warrant, which would require a higher standard of proof.

This raises the question: should law enforcement be able to know exactly where you are without going before a judge to show probable cause?

If your cell phone is sitting next to your bed, use of a Stingray would seem to be an electronic intrusion into the home akin to a search. That would mean, absent a search warrant, the device would run afoul of the 4th Amendment’s protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

[iframe name="google_ads_iframe_/75484061/TheBlaze.com/Stories_2" width="300" height="250" id="google_ads_iframe_/75484061/TheBlaze.com/Stories_2" src="javascript:"[/iframe]
The case that has highlighted this issue involves an alleged hacker currently, Daniel David Rigmaiden, currently facing fraud charges. The government claims Rigmaiden filed millions of dollars in false tax returns.

While Rigmaiden maintains his innocence on all charges, he is also specifically challenging in court the way the FBI hunted him down. Court filings indicate Rigmaiden’s wireless mobile internet card was tracked, probably by a Stingray device.

The FBI has responded that all relevant federal law was followed in this case, citing that a judge signed a court order for the Stingray’s usage. However, the decision before the courts now is whether the judge erred by signing off on the use of a technology that he neither understood, nor held to the probable cause standard.

Law enforcement authorities have claimed they wish to keep devices like the Stingray out of the public eye, while simultaneously taking the positions that a technology like the stingray is more like a “pen register” than a phone tap.

A pen-register tells who you called and when. We all know what a phone tap is. But a pen-register requires a simple court order, while the tap has to show probable cause.

At the heart of this issue is whether location data requires a higher standard of evidence. And if so, a judge needs to be able to determine exactly what data is being retrieved by law enforcement, and how it is used.

As the case against Mr. Rigmaiden does not involve terrorism or operations on the battlefield, law enforcement attempts to shield the technology from the public could be difficult. We can’t have a public debate over privacy intrusions if we don’t know how ours might be violated.

A similar case, regarding whether the police can secretly install a GPS on your vehicle without a court warrant, will go before the U.S. Supreme Court in November.

The court may well decide that locational data is protected content absent probable cause.

Alongside that, the court will have to decide the right of the American people to know what tactics are being used against them, even if it hampers law enforcement’s ability to catch criminals.

It is hard to decide whether something is unconstitutional if you aren’t allowed to know what it is.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Texas City to Buy $180K Cellphone Tracker to Help ‘Combat Criminal Activity’

The city council of Fort Worth, Texas, recently approved the purchase of a $180,000 portable system that would give law enforcement the ability to track cellphones in an effort to better “combat criminal activity,” according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

This decision comes at a time when courts across the country, including the Supreme Court, are hearing cases involving the legality of warrantless tracking of subjects that are under criminal investigation. In fact, just last month the Supreme Court ruled that GPS tracking of a vehicle requires a warrant. Although it was not discussed by the high court at the time, Greg Nojeim, director of the Center for Democracy and Technology’s project on freedom, security and technology told The Blaze that requiring a warrant for GPS tracking could open the door for needing one for cellphone tracking as well.

Stingray_US-Patent-and-Trademark-Office1.jpg

Stingray (Photo: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office)

Cellphone tracking can involve estimating a person’s whereabouts based on cellphone tower locations while they are making live calls. Vice President of Public Policy Jim Dempsey for the Center for Democracy and Technology has explained to the Blaze before that cell tower information can also be obtained from the service provider without a warrant. He said that the cell company collects this information as much as every seven seconds from the cell tower you’re connecting to, giving a fairly accurate idea of your whereabouts and movements. There is also technology, called a Stingray, which can locate phones that are just turned on — whether or not they are making a call.

(Related: Should law enforcement’s Stingray system track you without a search warrant?)

The Star-Telegram reports that the police department declined to comment on the type of technology it would be purchasing but did note it is a KingFish system by the Harris Corp. In 2010, Twin Cities IndyMedia reported a story where local government was looking to acquire a KingFish system as well. This is what it had to say about the technology:

[iframe name="google_ads_iframe_/75484061/TheBlaze.com/Stories/Technology_2" width="300" height="250" id="google_ads_iframe_/75484061/TheBlaze.com/Stories/Technology_2" src="javascript:"[/iframe]
We heard [Hennepin County Sheriff Rich] Stanek said the Feds told him he can’t talk about KingFish, even though the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension already has one. [...] While searching KingFish system by Harris Wireless Products Group or Harris Corporation turns up very little on the Internet, a US Army Intelligence command posted notice of “sole source” contracting of the KingFish Harris system. It must really be a field-clearing, top of the line cell phone tracking system; according to the contract spec it works on CDMA and 3G systems [...]

WFAA.com reports that sales documents show the KingFish device appears to be the kind that can track cellphones even when they’re not being used. WFAA reports that the American Civil Liberties Union is tracking court cases involving KingFish devices and others by Harris:

The group is monitoring court cases for protection of privacy laws and prevention of illegal search and seizure.

The ACLU wants laws at the local level that force police to obtain a search warrant before tracking cell phones, saying it is common for police to buy new technology without public discussion.

“You shouldn’t be using cell phone tracking technology to establish probable cause,” said Catherine Crump, an ACLU technology attorney. “It’s important to have probable cause before you track, and that’s what I think one of the primary concerns with this technology is.”

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

The National Security Agency is gathering nearly 5 billion records a day on the whereabouts of cellphones around the world, according to top-secret documents and interviews with U.S. intelligence officials, enabling the agency to track the movements of individuals — and map their relationships — in ways that would have been previously unimaginable.

One senior collection manager, speaking on the condition of anonymity but with permission from the NSA, said “we are getting vast volumes” of location data from around the world by tapping into the cables that connect mobile networks globally and that serve U.S. cellphones as well as foreign ones. Additionally, data are often collected from the tens of millions of Americans who travel abroad with their cellphones every year.

In scale, scope and potential impact on privacy, the efforts to collect and analyze location data may be unsurpassed among the NSA surveillance programs that have been disclosed since June. Analysts can find cellphones anywhere in the world, retrace their movements and expose hidden relationships among the people using them.

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

My phone w/battery installed never visited my grow. Don't post phone pics either, gps information attached and you can't turn that off anything digital can be traced. I use copies of my original .jpeg's camera photo's, screenshot copy, erasing gps data.

lino

lino

Here in Denver Co we have LPR camera's everywhere also, EveryWhere! LPR camera's are on almost all street corners with a traffic lite. along all of i-25 and 1-70. LPR camera's are observed by humans (cops live also) 24/7... I downloaded a free LPR camera's software for my home security system. If you drive be my home frequently or pull into my driveways my LPR camera's software sends me the email.

LPR - License Plate Recognition, its old technology. So add Stingray with LPR and the cops know where your cell phone is and the GEO of your car also (databased). Thats why Bin Ladin would Not use a cell or drive in cars with a license plate. Ol Ladin fooled the US army up on that mountain cause he knew the army was watching his cell with Stingray technology . He left his cell phone on and located on the mountain far away from him so the army would blow up his phone while Ladin went out the back thru a cave hole.

lino

lino

My phone w/battery installed never visited my grow. Don't post phone pics either, gps information attached and you can't turn that off anything digital can be traced. I use copies of my original .jpeg's camera photo's, screenshot copy, erasing gps data.
Adobe LightRoom can remove dangerous Metadata from digital content that you'd publish to an Online Server . It has a free trial so if you can have a bunch digital content ready in a folder and if you good with Adobe LightRoom a person could add Geo Location metadata of a location of his enemy's location to the digital content you publish. If you know what camera he uses you could replicate your pics as if your enemy's camera snapped the pic at whatever location you enter into LightRoom Software.
Also add all your "To Be" published content to one folder and if your good with Adobe LightRoom a person could add and remove metadata to all the files at once saving enormous amount of time and leaving any law enforcement official baffled.

SpiderKid

SpiderKid

So many peeps moving to colorado so they can " export " back home. Bingo, bambo,boom ,,,, easy money.

Good Luck! The number one concern for colorado now is tax dollars. The number one concern for the .gov is exports from colorado and already stated they will blow up the party unless colorado controls this ( s/washington)

So ? Ya think they can do it ? I do.

ttystikk

ttystikk

To more specifically answer the thread's question, yrs I think Stingray technology should require a WARRANT, because it is intentionally fooling your cellphone into pinging the tower. Among other, more basic privacy reasons the courts don't seem to respect anymore.

So much for our protections from unreasonable search and seizure and 'being private in our persons and papers'

K

kolah

The masses will never give up their cellphones. The nazis know that so they'll continue with the police state agenda. yawn.

ZONER

ZONER

Guess it's time to break out my old pager, and then turn on my prepaid cell phone to make the call ..... 2 minutes and turn her off.
Jeez they're makin' life so damn difficult. When are they going to build a tracker for underhanded scumbag politicians and their lobbyist cash under the table buddies.

Where is the real DR. WHO when ya need him..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
LMAO! But as I recall we could listen in on those communications (we had a CB radio when I was a kid, we'd use it when we were trailering long distances to the various horse shows).

10-4 that, Zoner!

Top Bottom