sick of hydroton..coco question

• Thread starter vonwolfen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I am sick of washing hydroton...pulling roots from 48 2 gallon buckets is my idea of hell..
I am looking into coco.
I use ebb and flo(CAP) with 36-48 2 gallon pots, normally clones in rockwool..
What type of coco would be best(fiber size, anything), and how much would I need to get to fill about 100 gallons...
Also anyone need used hydroton with roots and debris, blood and tears, can contact me...

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I use hydrofarm but i believe that all the brands are the same unless you get the cheap unbranded stuff. I like the bricks because they are easy to transport and store if you buy too much. One brick is about 15 gallons give or take. Also i would reccomend using your flood and drain setup as a drain to waste system by installing drip lines. Drain to waste is way better than recirculating in coco. Also i dont know why everyone says DTW wastes lots of nutes but I throw away less nutes with DTW. I throw away about 2 gallons a day for 30 plants. iF i had a rez i would have to change it at least every week (I hear every 3 days with coco) that would be way more waste than a DTW setup. Have gun and goodluck.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

change out the nutes every 3 days?..I wont be changeing the system so if coco(cocopeat) doesn't work then I guess I need to find something else...

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Pith Coco will retain alot of moisture, so if you mwant to feed multiple time daily will need some coco that doesnt retain as much moisture. Possibly coco croutons or long hair coco with the ebb and flow method.
rockwool croutons is another option

mikeross

mikeross

I am looking into coco.
I use ebb and flo(CAP) with 36-48 2 gallon pots, normally clones in rockwool..
What type of coco would be best(fiber size, anything), and how much would I need to get to fill about 100 gallons...

I am currently in the process of getting some hempys up and running which is a coco/perlite mix and some hydroton on the bottom for drainage. Anyways, I have done a lot of reading and I came to the conclusion that canna coco is one of the best brands if not number 1. I have read by many respected members with documented journals that its great right out of the bag, no rinsing or pre-treating. The fact that you can use it right out of the bag is worth the extra couple bucks IMO.

I am not sure regarding your quantity questions. Your asking how much it will take to fill 100 gallons? well short answer is 100 gallons of coco lol. Are you looking for a measurement in liters? I know where I am everything is in liters in regards to coco, perlite ect and the quantity advertised on these bags.

I can tell you that 100 gallons is 385 liters so you would need 8 bags of coco, the large bags are usually 50l. So if you do decide to go with canna coco which I am positive are 50l in size for canadian customers, with my experience I am 100% sure you will need 8 bags. With that said I just realize you could be in the states and you guys use that messed up system that no one else in the world uses hehe :wondering

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Thanks Mike...The quantity question was something I should have spent another 2-3seconds thinking about it. duh...

"With that said I just realize you could be in the states and you guys use that messed up system that no one else in the world uses hehe"
Eventually everyone will do what we say when we say it! Got it?! The USA is the ruler of the world(until China kicks our ass economically...about 2-3 years), and you will stop using Satan's Measurement system=metric...Canada doesn't know it yet but its already a state, and you Brits are next. You already speak our language(although not very well).

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

look into SunLeafs Rocks "the rocks that dont roll". i personally know of 7 ebb and grows (including mine) that are all using them with success. i did notice my root mass was not as large this time running them as it was when i used hydroton but this stuff is way easier to clean, natrual silcia, does not roll all over the damn place when you spill a little AND would look better dumped in your yard lol. oh yeah its also cheaper per bag.

R

Rasta311

Coming from the same situation you are in with the ebb and gro. Ive switched to the best system IMO. I enjoy growing again. Coco and troph blumats. Check them out they are awesome!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Tropf blumat systems are not so easy to find, but they're out there and look really neat. When I pay off a bunch of stuff that's one of the next moves for my room, they come highly recommended. I think my back would *really* appreciate it, as well as our power bill.

R

Rasta311

Home harvest has them in stock all the time. Seriously the best system IMO.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not familiar with Home Harvest, Rasta, but I'll look for it. Do you pass nutrients through them? Or just water?

R

Rasta311

Nutrients are just fine. I run a modified 6:9 GH. If you want to run nutrients you must get the original troph blumat and not the mini ones. You want the deck and patio kit. Runs about 80 bucks shipped. These things will be blowing up very very soon. People are starting to see the light. They are just perfect. Anymore questions, fire away.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

They have had these on the counter of this grow store I have been to for years. Just never thought of using them. I came to a realization I am lazy. So this way seem's like a good fit for me.
So I take it by the post above it is ok to feed with a lighter nute feeding. Do they retain the salt like I think they would?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nutrients are just fine. I run a modified 6:9 GH. If you want to run nutrients you must get the original troph blumat and not the mini ones. You want the deck and patio kit. Runs about 80 bucks shipped. These things will be blowing up very very soon. People are starting to see the light. They are just perfect. Anymore questions, fire away.
Last time I checked them out I was looking at a handful of units for about $50 or so, decided I needed to spend that scratch on something else.

Can organics be passed through? For instance, I use stuff like humic acids (Humax/MicroHume), which can be passed through sprayers and fertigation lines, but if I recall the TBs (thanks again for that, didn't know the difference between models/types) use a ceramic that the liquid passes through, so I figure at some point there's got to be a particle size or type that won't pass through.

What got you on them? I'd never heard of such a thing til earlier this year.

R

Rasta311

Ive never done a full blown organic grow but I probably wouldn't run them through TPs. You have the minis and the TPs mixed up. The mini pass the liquid through a ceramic cone. It would get clogged for sure with these. The TBs use a 3mm line to drip the water to the substrate. The ceramic cone just acts as a "meter" to tell the dripper when the medium is drying out and needs water. Make sense?

Smokey-
The ones at the hydro shop are most likely the minis. Even if they were the TB you need more than just the cone it self. The 3mm in particular CANNOT found anywhere else beside from Troph or their distributors. If ordering it is wise to go ahead and order extra bundle of the 3mm tubing. It really restricts on how much you can more the plants around as they only include a ft for each site in the patio kit. Its not 100% necessary as I didn't buy any, but its does give you more freedom to move plant around.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, Rasta, that makes sense, but I thought that the whole TB thing was that the ceramic is what causes the liquid to be drawn through the tubing, on an as-needed basis. I clearly got things mixed up. Thanks for your help! Maybe this thread should be split.

R

Rasta311

It will come back later and create a thread as I have to head out for a bit. Im sure there will be more questions to start rolling in.

M

mrduke

soooo what about coco in the ebb& gro?
I know your pain man i want a different medium too the only problem isme and RW do not get along, so i've been stuck w/ hydroton until ........

C

Cheeseus

soooo what about coco in the ebb& gro?
I know your pain man i want a different medium too the only problem isme and RW do not get along, so i've been stuck w/ hydroton until ........

2 parts Roots Coco Chunks
1 part Roots Coco Fine Pith
= Use same "watering" schedule as Hydroton!

PICT0038
PICT0057
Top Bottom